Sign in to follow this  
theskyisthelimit

P3D upgrade CPU from 4930k 4.4 OC'd hex core to 6700k 4.2 turbo or wait for 7700k kaby lake?

My favorite basic cpu and memory test utility is the Intel XTU.  In my experience, it's stress and heat are a better representation of my usage whereas others seem to hit it as hard as they can.

Available from Intel here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-

Realbench also works well like that.. i also have ran intel xtu before and have it installed on my stress testing drive.  Curious.. do most of you guys disconnect any non testing drives from your system, create a clean windows install on a "clean" hard drive and use only that for testing?  I never use my live windows install hard drive, or other data/p3d drives connected.. while testing.. i always figured eventually any BSOD/freezes would potentially corrupt system files.

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

i always figured eventually any BSOD/freezes would potentially corrupt system files.

No, haven't done that and I've been playing with PCs since the original IBM PC in the early 80s.  I guess there is a finitely small chance that the swap file could be affected if the error occurred at just the right time but not even that is an unrecoverable error. To be sure, I do not use other applications while I am running a stress test.

Dan Downs KCRP

ive had some file corruption in fsx when i was testing overclocks. it can happen.

I take it in this case you were testing fsx at the time of the crash due to the overclock to cause it, or did it occur simply from being an active drive (fsx not running) when the main OS drive was active?  I guess a good solid backup is in order to use the main OS/images etc.

Update to my overclocking..

Last nite i decided to give the asus utility a whirl.. i did the auto overclock software option and set it to try for 4.5ghz.. after some reboots it basically set two cores to 4.4 and two to 4.3 (and still auto voltage)..

So i decided to set all 4 cores to 4.4, since prior i was "pretty sure" that 1.29 volts at 4.4 was going to be stable.. i left it at auto voltage to see what volts it would give it.

Under load its hitting 1.3250 or so.. this is also by doing a -0.040 setting in the volts in the software.. i guess this is equivalent to adaptive set to 1.369 or so with additional volts set to negative (if negative is an option).

I ran prime95 with blend (27.9) for 1 hour and no errors, temps with the h100i v2 seemed to hit around 85c max with prime95.. I then put my main drives back in action and did an acronis of one of my drives.. the temps hit a max of around 73C with this voltage/4.4 combo.

I'd be curious for other h100i v2 users too, what sort of load temps are typical for around stock or 4.4ghz in various programs or p3D better yet.. i'm happy as long as under normal gaming/windows/encoding loads its not above 75.

My idle temps at room temp of 25C are around 30C, with inside case being about 26.5, and the h100iv2 set to exhaust/push, so fan then radiator then top of case (outside top of case being around 27.5C, so this made more sense).

I tried to do a Linpack linx test, but within 30 seconds the cpu heated up to 98C, so that was stopped promptly.

I'll probably try dialing in the voltage manually via adaptive later.

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

Last nite i decided to give the asus utility a whirl..

Every overclocking site on the web recommends against using the ASUS overclocking tool.  There is a lot of help out there and the basic process is pretty easy, incrementally increase multiplier and adjust voltage for stability while watching heat.  Best results with HT off. You won't hurt it if you don't cook it.

fsx was running at the time

Of course.  As I said, run stress tests and no other applications..., you'll be okay.

Dan Downs KCRP

Every overclocking site on the web recommends against using the ASUS overclocking tool.  There is a lot of help out there and the basic process is pretty easy, incrementally increase multiplier and adjust voltage for stability while watching heat.  Best results with HT off. You won't hurt it if you don't cook it.

Of course.  As I said, run stress tests and no other applications..., you'll be okay.

Ever since my Win10 Anniversary upgrade, my BIOS screen does not come up it goes straight to the Windows loading screen. I cannot reach the BIOS to overclock again, so I was planning on using the ASUS tool. Guess not, now.

Ever since my Win10 Anniversary upgrade, my BIOS screen does not come up it goes straight to the Windows loading screen. I cannot reach the BIOS to overclock again, so I was planning on using the ASUS tool. Guess not, now.

Asus has a bios tool that basically when you toggle it, it will go straight to the bios on reboot.. i forget its exact name, but its in the tools CD or on the download site.

Im only using the asus bios automatic tool as a quick way to determine stability and more easily change settings.. i dont think there is any harm.. it also pushes those settings straight into the bios, just the same as if you did it manually in the bios.  I think many say dont do the auto overclock tool in windows.. I've seen numerous posts saying its ok to change the settings in the ai suite since it pushes them straight into the bios.

• Upvote 1

Most boards have such an overclock utility, and I have used them but the caution is regarding the automatic "turbo" or "boost" or whatever the marketing label is for the automatic overclocking.  You'll get much better results sticking to the standard procedures available at many websites.

my BIOS screen does not come up it goes straight to the Windows loading screen.

Maybe you have a fast boot option enabled.  Check your mobo documentation to see how to disable or work around this.

Dan Downs KCRP

In terms of my temperatures and going with higher volts.. i'm thinking of ditching the h100i v2 240mm in favor of the thermaltake 360mm .. either the basic and add f12 noctua fans or the riing (and not swap fans).. seems the basic version doesnt have fan control via usb.. so maybe the $60 more riiing version with fan control is worth it.  Guessing this might enable me to push closer to a max of 1.40 volts with the 6700k and possibly 4.6-4.7ghz

Guessing this might enable me to push closer to a max of 1.40 volts with the 6700k and possibly 4.6-4.7ghz

I have the 280mm Corsair H115 and my 6700K runs solidly at 4.7GHz.  The 280mm cooler was a tight fit in Corsair case, I cannot imagine something large enough for 360mm cooler, starting to sound like an 18-wheeler.

Dan Downs KCRP

I have the 280mm Corsair H115 and my 6700K runs solidly at 4.7GHz.  The 280mm cooler was a tight fit in Corsair case, I cannot imagine something large enough for 360mm cooler, starting to sound like an 18-wheeler.

Ah i hadnt considered it being too long.. though i think the v51 thermaltake case should hold it.  Is your h115 the "extreme" one with two fans (140mm? stock fans or some noctua swap?)

What voltage do you run at (apologies if you mentioned it before)..

Yeah "extreme" is just a marketing label. The H115i has two fans but what I like is the USB-control via their Link program.  Allows me to set up my own ramp for fan and pump speeds, where i can keep my liquid around 35C and the CPU case averages 67C under heavy use.

Voltages vary greatly between chips.  Mine is set at 1.395 V, but there is no cookie cutter solution.

Dan Downs KCRP

I bought the H55 and immediately threw the stock fans in the trash. Get some cougars (and no, I'm not talking about older women).