Sign in to follow this  
DrumsArt

Advice overclock and air cooling i7 4770k + New Gpu ?

Hi,

1/I plan to overclock my I7 4770k 3.50 to increase it to + -4.4.

-I would like to air cooling.

-I need advice on what types of fans allow me to safely overclock. By doing some research, I found for example the Cooler Master Hyper 412S. Good choice ? Comments very welcome.

2/In a second phase I consider changing my video card, again I would need advice on the appropriateness of the change compared to my setup.

My config is all in my signature.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards,

Richard Portier

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

I don't think it could handle that degree of overclock. Couldn't find enough comparative reviews to be definitive.

Best cooler in town is the Noctua NH-D15S. If it will fit in your case of course. Cools my 6700K at 4.6 GHz exceedingly well and ultra quiet.

I have that type cpu aircooler and have overclocked my i7 4790k to 4,6Ghz.

With regards to a video card, since FSX is mostly cpu bound i don't think there's much room for improvement there.

Had a lot of Haswell CPUs the worst ever tested was a 4670 Max 4.2ghz

Have one 4670k godd sample in a Nas and a 4770k as workstation

The 4770k runs at 4.5ghz adaptive voltage 1.184V mems is ddr3 corsair platinum 2800 c11 XMP

Its completly stable aida64, prime95 , Rog realbench you name it

CPU cooling noctua NH-L12 with one fan

Most 4770k did 4.5-4.7 at 1.25-1.3v its only to hope you get a good sample

Good 4770k was clocking as a 4790k , mostly all Golden I7 Haswell is 4770k not 4790k as you can aspekt.

I'd advise paying attention to the airflow in your pc case too. I lowered my temps almost 15°C by upgrading my case fans, granted its noisier now but much cooler.

(15°C down during a stress test)

i5 4670k OC'd @ 4GHz

Thank you very much everybody. :good:

One more thing, forgot the case...It's a Cooler Master Storm Trooper. I guess size should suit to install a Noctua NH-D15S ?

Regards,

Richard Portier

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

One more thing, forgot the case...It's a Cooler Master Storm Trooper. I guess size should suit to install a Noctua NH-D15S ?

Dimensions for the D15S are here...

http://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-d15s/specification

The following review used the Storm Trooper, NH-D15 though, not the "S" variant. The "S" is the high compatibility version, same size but it is offset slightly, so do check the dimensions.

Awesome cooler! Best air cooler there is. Don't worry about only one fan, two fans on the D14/D15/D15S makes only 1 - 2 degrees difference. And you can add a second fan if you insist, the clips are provided.

Barely hear the D15S in my system, very quiet but cools my overclocked 6700K @4.6GHz down to 75 degrees running a tough RealBench stress test.

In something like BF4 the D15S's PWM fan doesn't need to spin anywhere near full speed, but still cools in the 50's. Only time it ever ramps up closer to full RPM is in a super tough stress test running AVX.

As I type this, my system is silent, the case fan and CPU fan barely spinning, CPU temp very low though. 23 degrees max core temp at only 339 RPM!  Frequency and voltage  down though of course as I'm using adaptive voltage. Ambient is barely below CPU temp.

RPM for CPU and case fans are courtesy of my custom Asus Fan Xpert 3 fan curves

Thank you Martin concerning "so do check the dimensions."

The "s" seems compatible with my case : https://pcpartpicker.com/products/case/?compatible_with=xCL7YJ#m=50

Curiously the "s" seems less expensive that the no "s". Anyway I think it's the good choice

Regards,

Richard Portier

Richard Portier

Probably cheaper because there's only one fan Richard.

You get a tube of NT-H1 TIM free with the cooler. Worth using, well up there with the best.

Understood, thanks again... :smile:

Regards,

Richard Portier

Richard Portier