Sign in to follow this  
Remys

PMDG 777 Struggling Through Descend

23 minutes ago, Remys said:

Which Option Should I Choose. [and Should I Also Set Trim Manually to Idle] Honestly I prefer to let the plane manage the Throttles during descend phase to avoid the problem

I'm confused by this. Trim to idle? Idle is your throttle setting. Trim is different.

You should choose the option that best fits what you want:

1. Always - For servo-driven hardware that is always kept in sync with your sim (very few people have this, so this probably isn't for you)
  2. In HOLD mode only - For people who want the most balance of realism, and functionality. HOLD mode usually comes into play during the takeoff roll (where you'd bring the throttles back to idle to reject a takeoff), and during descent (where you can bring the throttles up off the IDLE stop to shallow the descent out some, if necessary).
  3. Never - If you want it to behave like the default aircraft (not as realistic, but you don't have to worry about your hardware's position)

Kyle Rodgers

2 hours ago, Remys said:

Which Option Should I Choose. [and Should I Also Set Trim Manually to Idle] Honestly I prefer to let the plane manage the Throttles during descend phase to avoid the problem 

I always select override to HOLD (or ARM) Only for one simple reason.  In reality the hold mode is where the throttle levers are no longer driven by servos and the pilot is free to move them without overcoming A/T servo commands (which is always available of course).  The only caution when using this mode is to leave the throttles alone during TO/GA takeoff because if you accidentally nudge them you may cancel TO/GA, and to be sure you move the levers to idle before you start the VNAV descent because after the thrust is retarded and the mode changes to ARM then any movement of your controller may add thrust.

More importantly, this mode allows me to use FLCH to manage descents and this is very important in the PMDG 777 because the vertical path is not as accurate as the NGX or 744v3 and I do like to override VNAV if it is not behaving.  For example, descending at a nice 2300 fpm on path until passing a fix then suddenly I'm 1300 feet above path and it will command 3000 fpm descent or switch to VNAV SPD mode and never recover.  This is when I just press the FLCH button and use thrust to modulate the descent.  By modulate the descent I mean use thrust to set the desired descent rate while pitch is controlled by the MCP SPD setting.  This is much preferred method to V/S, which I have mostly abandoned.

Dan Downs KCRP

On 5/28/2017 at 11:03 PM, downscc said:

I always select override to HOLD (or ARM) Only for one simple reason.  In reality the hold mode is where the throttle levers are no longer driven by servos and the pilot is free to move them without overcoming A/T servo commands (which is always available of course).  The only caution when using this mode is to leave the throttles alone during TO/GA takeoff because if you accidentally nudge them you may cancel TO/GA, and to be sure you move the levers to idle before you start the VNAV descent because after the thrust is retarded and the mode changes to ARM then any movement of your controller may add thrust.

More importantly, this mode allows me to use FLCH to manage descents and this is very important in the PMDG 777 because the vertical path is not as accurate as the NGX or 744v3 and I do like to override VNAV if it is not behaving.  For example, descending at a nice 2300 fpm on path until passing a fix then suddenly I'm 1300 feet above path and it will command 3000 fpm descent or switch to VNAV SPD mode and never recover.  This is when I just press the FLCH button and use thrust to modulate the descent.  By modulate the descent I mean use thrust to set the desired descent rate while pitch is controlled by the MCP SPD setting.  This is much preferred method to V/S, which I have mostly abandoned.

Hello, I tried the override to HOLD (or ARM) in the 777 and 747, the hardware was not controlling the throttles anymore and during descend although I move the hardware to idle, in both planes 747 and 777 the throttle doesn't move and always requires drag.

Any suggestion why this is happening?

Remy Sarkis

BAW1031

UAE1525

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

2 minutes ago, Remys said:

Hello, I tried the override to HOLD (or ARM) in the 777 and 747, the hardware was not controlling the throttles anymore and during descend although I move the hardware to idle, in both planes 747 and 777 the throttle doesn't move and always requires drag.

Any suggestion why this is happening?

Use the option that shows your hardware throttle controller position on the N1 gauge, and use that to tell if the program is sensing your closing your throttles. I usually make sure my throttles are closed before TOD.  The B736 is the only variant I've found that has a problem remaining in retard and not getting closed and ARMed.  The 777 and 747 do not have a problem.  The position indicator might help.

Dan Downs KCRP

16 hours ago, downscc said:
16 hours ago, downscc said:

Use the option that shows your hardware throttle controller position on the N1 gauge, and use that to tell if the program is sensing your closing your throttles. I usually make sure my throttles are closed before TOD.  The B736 is the only variant I've found that has a problem remaining in retard and not getting closed and ARMed.  The 777 and 747 do not have a problem.  The position indicator might help

Hello, I have this Option [Showing N1 Gauge]. but During Descend When the Plane is in Hold Mode, I can Move the Throttle, but whenever I am in the approach autoland phase, no matter what I do I cannot move the Throttles the servo is controlling them. is there a way to overpass this problem during approach, cause sometimes I need to push the throttles and give up the final approach unfortunately 

In Real World What Configuration do the pilots use? for 747 and 777

Remy Sarkis

BAW1031

UAE1525

On 5/28/2017 at 9:02 PM, scandinavian13 said:
  • Always - For servo-driven hardware that is always kept in sync with your sim (very few people have this, so this probably isn't for you)
  • In HOLD mode only - For people who want the most balance of realism, and functionality. HOLD mode usually comes into play during the takeoff roll (where you'd bring the throttles back to idle to reject a takeoff), and during descent (where you can bring the throttles up off the IDLE stop to shallow the descent out some, if necessary).
  • Never - If you want it to behave like the default aircraft (not as realistic, but you don't have to worry about your hardware's position)

Hello,

During Descend When the Plane is in Hold Mode, I can Move the Throttle, but whenever I am in the approach autoland phase, no matter what I do I cannot move the Throttles the servo is controlling them. is there a way to overpass this problem during approach, cause sometimes I need to abort and add thrust but the throttles remain controlled by the servo 

In Real World What Configuration do the pilots use? for 747 and 777

Remy Sarkis

BAW1031

UAE1525

Remy, you have lost me.  Your problem was with descent but now it is in approach mode.  A second question before you acknowledge you have a solution to the first.

Use A/T Disconnect to manually control the throttles, PMDG provides an ability to program a key command to that so you can use the keyboard or with FSUIPC assign it to a button on your controller.  You can also control descent rate with thrust in FLCH mode with A/T engaged.

Dan Downs KCRP

1 hour ago, downscc said:

Remy, you have lost me.  Your problem was with descent but now it is in approach mode.  A second question before you acknowledge you have a solution to the first.

Use A/T Disconnect to manually control the throttles, PMDG provides an ability to program a key command to that so you can use the keyboard or with FSUIPC assign it to a button on your controller.  You can also control descent rate with thrust in FLCH mode with A/T engaged.

Hello,

I will give you the exact description. [ the problem with the descent mode has been fixed], I was able to move the throttles while in hold mode. the only problem remaining is during final approach. when the plane is set to Approach mode, [Aproach Engaged I can select the speed via the MCP but in this mode if I move the hardware it doesn't impact in any way the throttles. they remain controlled by the servo.

this is the only remaining problem which I am trying to find a solution to., [three Autopilot button are green and the plane is in landing mode following the glide slope] the A/T is also on so as to follow the desired speed on the MCP. I keep it on so the plane can maintain the selected speed. but on the other hand, I am trying to check how to bypass the A/T speed in case I want to abort the approach. because by moving the throttles on the hardware they cause no impact on the throttles as if nothing happened

Remy Sarkis

BAW1031

UAE1525

Once you are in the terminal area you will usually abandon VNAV and switch to usually FLCH, perhaps SPD and ALT. I usually just use FLCH all the way to final if able.

Dan Downs KCRP

On 2.6.2017 at 8:10 PM, Remys said:

Hello,

I will give you the exact description. [ the problem with the descent mode has been fixed], I was able to move the throttles while in hold mode. the only problem remaining is during final approach. when the plane is set to Approach mode, [Aproach Engaged I can select the speed via the MCP but in this mode if I move the hardware it doesn't impact in any way the throttles. they remain controlled by the servo.

this is the only remaining problem which I am trying to find a solution to., [three Autopilot button are green and the plane is in landing mode following the glide slope] the A/T is also on so as to follow the desired speed on the MCP. I keep it on so the plane can maintain the selected speed. but on the other hand, I am trying to check how to bypass the A/T speed in case I want to abort the approach. because by moving the throttles on the hardware they cause no impact on the throttles as if nothing happened

Like you stated yourself, you set the A/T throttle override setting to HOLD mode only.

This clearly is exactly as it says. Your throttles will override the A/T only in HOLD mode. When you are landing, you can see from your PFD that your A/T is not in the HOLD mode. So, obviously your throttles do not override the A/T thus don't work.

If you want your throttles always to override A/T, then change the setting to Always. However, in this case, your throttles will always override the A/T and it could create you lots of problems.

Boeing stated that the 777 should always be flown with A/T on. If you want to abort the approach, hit TOGA. If you feel that you need more thrust, increase your speed by few knots from the speed selector in MCP.

Really, no problem :ph34r:

Joona Väisänen

On 6/9/2017 at 3:33 PM, joona_ said:

If you want to abort the approach, hit TOGA

Thank you for the Clarification. I am using the Hold Mode and now it's working perfectly. Just One Silly Question, In case I want to Abort the Approach, where is the TOGA Switch Located in the 777 and the 747

thanking you in Advance,

Regards,

Remy Sarkis

BAW1031

UAE1525

27 minutes ago, Remys said:

Thank you for the Clarification. I am using the Hold Mode and now it's working perfectly. Just One Silly Question, In case I want to Abort the Approach, where is the TOGA Switch Located in the 777 and the 747

thanking you in Advance,

Regards,

The TOGA button is on the throttles, there are hot spots on the MCP panel as discussed in the Introduction document.  Many will program a button on their controllers for that function as well.

Dan Downs KCRP

On 6/11/2017 at 7:55 PM, downscc said:

The TOGA button is on the throttles, there are hot spots on the MCP panel as discussed in the Introduction document.  Many will program a button on their controllers for that function as well

Thanks a lot for the clarification,

Sincerely,

Remy

Remy Sarkis

BAW1031

UAE1525

7 hours ago, Remys said:

The TOGA button is on the throttles, there are hot spots on the MCP panel as discussed in the Introduction document.  Many will program a button on their controllers for that function as well

you know sometimes when you have a lot of things in mind you forget the simplest functions. the TOGA Button is Assigned on my Joystick and use it all the time upon take off after reaching 55% N1 on the 777.

Weird how things can get out of your mind :) 

Remy Sarkis

BAW1031

UAE1525

I just landed in Auckland with a lot of crosswind. Upon touchdown I pressed the switch I have assigned to the reverse thrust, but nothing happened. I pressed it again, and again... oops, I pressed the A/T disengage button! Argh. So much to remember. :laugh: