Sign in to follow this  
sfgiants13

Texturemaxload causing stutters

According to the P3D tweaks section on their site this tweak can cause stutters.  But, I see very little of that on the forums.  I'm having an issue with AI textures being black for a second or two before fully loading at airports with heavier AI (I only have MT6 AI at about 10%).  This tweak seems to improve it (and my frames a bit somehow but that will require more testing).  I've tried values of 3,6,9, and if I recall 27,30,33 and all cause stutters every few seconds.  I've done both unlimited and locked FPS.  I have the i5 6600k, GTX 1060 GPU, 16gb RAM and have a fresh .cfg file generated for the latest version of P3D.

I have very limited understanding of how all of this works.  My FPS is about 25% higher when I run unlimited, but I do get more blurry ground textures.  I'm trying to find a trade off of locking FPS and getting good performance.  It seems that at large airports (ie: FSDT LAS, JFK, etc) in addon aircraft I can get anywhere betwen 15-25 FPS so locking it any higher hurts my performance.  My questions are the following:

Does the TML tweak have to follow the formula Rob posted for it to work correctly and still remain in multiples of 3?  So say I lock it at 20 FPS and the default TML is 6 with TBM at 160, I would use a value of 48?  I've never done that high so that's my next step to try when I get home.  I want to lock it at about 25 FPS since that seems like a good tradeoff but my system is struggling to maintain that at heavy airports.  I have no issue at smaller airports with less AI maintaining 25 so I may have different profiles depending on where I fly.  

TextureMaxLoad = max(TextureMaxLoad, TextureMaxLoad*TextureBandwidthMult/LimitedFramerate)

Are certain TML values more likely to cause stutters in general or is this completely system dependent?

Should I bother with any other tweaks or is there anything else I can try to help with my texture loading issue?  I'm thinking I may have to lower settings even further but my settings are all at a minimum 1 notch left for just about anything that has a significant performance hit.

Should I bother with any other tweaks or is there anything else I can try to help with my texture loading issue?  I'm thinking I may have to lower settings even further but my settings are all at a minimum 1 notch left for just about anything that has a significant performance hit.

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

Also I forgot to ask. I understand that I won't get a perfect experience on my 60hz monitor without being able to lock at 60 fps. There's a tweak that can make it to where I can lock at 30hz and do a half refresh rate. But unless I dial back my sliders even more I can't hit that. Say I lock at 23fps or something does it make that big of a difference? Or is this only if I have vsycn on which I can obviously disable if I have to. I'm a bit fuzzy with my knowledge in this area so I could be way off.

I've been playing with these settings for the past week, but I do not have a stutter problem.  You might look elsewhere to resolve that.

I am currently frame rate locked at 20 fps and use TextureMaxLoad=6, TextureBandwidthMult=120 / LockedFramerate=20.  Animation has been fluid throughout my range of values, the problem I've been attacking are the long frames that occur when P3D has to load an airport or ground objects.  If it were a stutter I'd be happy but my long frames are several seconds. I very much dislike those when I'm hand flying.

Dan Downs KCRP

I'm so close to getting P3D where I want it to be but minor issues keep happening when I try to get rid of another.  The default .cfg works ok.  Once I move the sliders up a bit, I get slow loading black textures at major airports every time my view looks away from the building.  The textures on the ground are pretty good and my frames are mostly manageable, except they dip to about 15 FPS on occasion when near major airports.  Then the TML and TBM tweaks get the textures to load much better (I still get AI planes briefly shimmer or go black on occasion when they load but it's not as bad without the tweaks) but I get stutters that are only caused with these tweaks.  I haven't tried the settings you've posted or ones that another poster recommended via PM so I'm going to give both of those a shot.  I'm also going to try the optimze parts tweak to see if that helps.  I may have to back off the sliders a bit more but I feel like I've already backed off more than I should have to for my system.  I've been tweaking for a while trying to fix these issues and it would be really nice just to start flying and not worry about it.

Please post your magic brew if you find one, although different systems will work best with different settings.

As far as tinkering with settings, it's just part of the hobby.  It would be boring if a flight simulator never needed tweaking and never encountered run time errors, what would we do?

Dan Downs KCRP

Please post your magic brew if you find one, although different systems will work best with different settings.

As far as tinkering with settings, it's just part of the hobby.  It would be boring if a flight simulator never needed tweaking and never encountered run time errors, what would we do?

I couldn't agree more,   :smile:

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.

After playing around most of the day (and having to rebuild the cfg file at least 15 times because P3D kept crashing whenever I put the TML tweak in) I think I finally found a decent balance.  A few planes go black very briefly still, but it's much less often than before and the building textures load much faster as well and don't go black when I look away.  I used TML=3 and TBM=45 on top of the FFTF=.01.  The FFTF tweak gives me a big jump in FPS and I can maintain 30 at most airports (even FSDT LAS, LAX, among a few other large airports).  It's pretty smooth and the stutters are very minor and not as frequent.  They're slightly more frequent than without the TML tweak, but I suppose it's a tradeoff I have to make to at least have textures loaded better.  It's just a pain that I still get random crashes on startup and loading, but once it gets through it works fine.

I've seen very few people set values that low does anyone have an idea on why I have to set it so low on my machine?  It's a decent rig so I didn't think I'd have to set it so low.

edit: Sigh the crashes are an issue again.  I never had this problem in the past when using the TML tweak so I don't know why it's starting now.  I've tried deleting the shaders, facilities, and sceneryindex folders but that didn't help either.