Hello all,

I want to buy new monitor and upgrade from Full HD to 2K monitors, I use it mainly to fly FSX and DCS.

I have GTX 970 and TrackIR5. No plan for VR at this moment and 4K monitors are way expensive and need strong graphic card.

I have searched a lot but I am kind of confused which is better; Ultrawide (2560 x 1080 | 21:9) or WQHD (2560 x 1440 | 16:9).

Based on my budget I found LG 34UM68-P 34-Inch as of Ultrawide and Acer H277HU 27-Inch as of WQHD.

I would love to see your opinions guys, thanks

Jehad Hamdan

Based on my budget I found LG 34UM68-P 34-Inch as of Ultrawide and Acer H277HU 27-Inch as of WQHD.

I would love to see your opinions guys, thanks

Technically speaking the LG Ultrawide is a "crippled 2K monitor" for it is only a HD res (1920x1080) monitor that has more horizontal pixels to fill in the extra width.  If you were able to compare FSX/P3D running side by side on those two panels, the 27 inch Acer which is a true 2K panel will have noticeably better image definition quality than the LG, though obviously a somewhat smaller size.  It's all in the vertical resolution: 1440 had 33% more pixel resolution than1080.  I just upgraded from HD to WQHD and the visual improvement was amazing.  Now that I've experienced 2k I'd not consider a large size Ultrawide unless it has 1440, but that's me.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

thanks for your opinion and this is what I felt true 2K will be better with the 33% more pixels.

I am going for it now and later will plan sure for the ultrawide 1440p

Jehad Hamdan

Nice choice, the increased resolution is worth the size sacrifice IMO.  But then again if your visual acuity is not up to it that enhanced resolution may not matter.

Maybe not the best, but my next upgrade will be something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-S34E790C-34-Inch-Professional-Monitor/dp/B00Q7VCSGU/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1

I got a gtx 1070 to drive it, but even that may struggle a bit on higher graphics settings.  A friend of mine just bought one of these, and sort of "hates it", because it makes his other monitor (HD) in his two monitor setup look awful, and he complains about adjusting to all that extra "real estate".

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

When I upgraded earlier in the year I went for a 32" 2560x1440. I have the AOC Q3277PQU - excellent screen and build quality and it works perfectly with my GTX 970 card. I looked at a 27" screen with the same resolution but found that the menus in FSX were just too small for me to read comfortably and they're not scalable. 32" seems to be the sweet spot for QHD and it was a bargain at only £335 when I bought it (now looks to be about £385). It has the same screen as the BenQ BL3200PT, which is another excellent monitor (but quite a bit more expensive).

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Nice choice, the increased resolution is worth the size sacrifice IMO.  But then again if your visual acuity is not up to it that enhanced resolution may not matter.

Maybe not the best, but my next upgrade will be something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-S34E790C-34-Inch-Professional-Monitor/dp/B00Q7VCSGU/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1

I got a gtx 1070 to drive it, but even that may struggle a bit on higher graphics settings.  A friend of mine just bought one of these, and sort of "hates it", because it makes his other monitor (HD) in his two monitor setup look awful, and he complains about adjusting to all that extra "real estate".

Samsung S34E790C is really nice choice, I will go for 4K in feature :)

When I upgraded earlier in the year I went for a 32" 2560x1440. I have the AOC Q3277PQU - excellent screen and build quality and it works perfectly with my GTX 970 card. I looked at a 27" screen with the same resolution but found that the menus in FSX were just too small for me to read comfortably and they're not scalable. 32" seems to be the sweet spot for QHD and it was a bargain at only £335 when I bought it (now looks to be about £385). It has the same screen as the BenQ BL3200PT, which is another excellent monitor (but quite a bit more expensive).

AOC Q3277PQU is really nice with bigger screen, the only downside to me that it's not IPS, I have checked 27" and it's fine for me (for some one upgraded from 24" :)

thanks

Jehad Hamdan

Remember, all the talk about better resolution costs in performance!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

AOC Q3277PQU is really nice with bigger screen, the only downside to me that it's not IPS...

It's AMVA which gives better blacks and general contrast. The only real drawback over IPS is that it doesn't look quite as good off-axis. However, if you go for an IPS panel, be aware that they tend to suffer more from backlight bleed than other panel types - much more noticeable/annoying if you tend to use them in a dimly-lit room.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit