Sign in to follow this  
Will273

FSX Install Activation

Coming back to FSX after being out of the loop for a few years. I'm thinking about building a new computer to run FSX but am concerned about getting it to run. I know Microsoft doesn't support it anymore so is the boxed version obsolete ad useless? If it can't be activated it would seem to be...at least the boxed version. I've heard about downloading the Steam version but I'd rather have the physical disks if that's still possible and working. Have heard about possible activation work arounds but none sounded very promising...Otherwise I might consider X Plane. Is FSX boxed version still usable? Thanks.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hey Will, Everything will Work as Usual, But now You have to look forward to Blazing Fast Multiple Processors, 64 bit Operating Systems, and Un imagined tons of Ram, and Incredible Video Cards !! You're Next post will be about how enjoyable it is to be back Flying !! - ENJOY - Johnman

I recommend the Steam version. I've used all the disk version since FSX came out, and the Steam version is better.  That said, there are some Flight1 and General Aviation Payware aircraft that still don't work with FSX:SE, but about everything else is fully compatible.

Another benefit to the Steam version.... start the install, walk away, come back in about 30 to 40 minutes and it's done.

Best wishes.

Thanks John and Dave. I plan on just staying with the defaults...less problems for me but that's another story. John...so no activation concerns? All I remember is having to type in some numbers...product code which is still in my box deluxe version. So what's going to happen if it asks me for that? Will I get an error or something after I type it in? That's what I'm afraid of. I've heard the Steam version doesn't need that or something along those lines.

As for the computer specs...yea have always wanted a Main Frame and it's about time I got one... right? Funny...in the end we all pretty much paid the price of one...upgrading all the time and never quite reaching that 7th Heaven. May as well avoid the upgrading  headache and buy from the top shelf first go around....Ouch. 

At the end of installing both of your discs you should get the screen for entering your Product ID.  Once that is done,

then make sure to install SP1 and Sp2 before anything else gets installed.