Sign in to follow this  
ScandinavianFlyer

Advice ATC regarding autoland CAT III

Hello, I have two questions regarding low visibility procedures.

Firstly,

When LVP are in force at an airport does an aircraft need to advice ATC on initial contact with APP that they will be performing a CAT III or CAT II approach even though LVP is stated in the ATIS? (I know that you are required to tell ATC if you will be practicing an autoland during CAT I conditions, but I'm wondering if you need to advice them during LVP)

And secondly,

If the charts for an Airport, for example, says "LVP in use when RVR less than 550m ... announced by ATIS" should you expect that LVP will be stated in the ATIS? And if so, what if the ATIS might not have been updated to say that LVP are in force, but the contitions require CAT III, would you have to ask ATC if you'll be able to perform a CAT III approach?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Usually, no. Whether or not you are capable of getting into an airport is your business. However, there are times when they would query you about what yoi are capable of to see whether to take you in or leave you in a holding pattern.

Usually LVO airport procedures are published in the respective charts. As LVO is defined only by RVR the airport will have its own minima. When these minima has been reached LVO will be in force and will be published via ATIS. The airport then has to asure that ground equipment such as localizer, glideslope RVR is watched constantly etc is working, a proper aircraft  seperation during approach and final is established and the protection zone  in the touchdown zone is asured and save.

If you want to shoot an autoland/HUGS A III in LVO weather conditions and the airport is not capable than you shoot -as by the book- an illegal approach. 

Don't quote me on this, but I believe below 800/2 the ILS critical areas are enforced.  I have done a CAT III for real and I was expecting this lengthy clearance.  All I got was, "Cleared for the ILS Runway 31, report on ground."

Don't quote me on this, but I believe below 800/2 the ILS critical areas are enforced.  I have done a CAT III for real and I was expecting this lengthy clearance.  All I got was, "Cleared for the ILS Runway 31, report on ground."

Since few years now ATC wont expizit clear an aircraft for an CAT II/III approach. The PIC has to assure that crew, aircraft as well as their minima within limits. In case of CAT II RVR 300m/CAT C aircraft 350m/CAT D aircraft and DH 100" and for CAT IIIA and DH 50"

The airport in the other hand must assure that localizer/glidslope is CAT II/III and the protection zone is stays clear. Therefor when taxiing ATC will only clear an aircraft to the CAT II/III holdingpoint.

Concerning cmmencement and contunuation of approach acc rules/book "An approach may be commenced regardless of RVR/ceiling/visibility. But shall not be continued beyond a point 1000' above ground (RA), or

into the final approach segment in case where DA/H or MDA/H is more than 1000" above the aerodrome.

if the reported RVR/visibility is less than the applicable minimum"