Sign in to follow this  
Holdit

First new rig in a long time (proposed spec)

I recently built a new system with the i5 6600K overclocked to 4.5ghz and I'm gettong 30 frames at aerosoft EGLL with 50% UT2 and all orbx regions in the PMDG 777. save yourself some money and buy the i5

Actually I had to make some last-minute changes after posting the above. The Corsair PSU was out of stock to I opted for an EVGA model. I also did a bit more reading into the performance stats of the i5 vs the i7, and I went with the i5, because the difference between the two doesn't appear to be very much as far as how FSX will use them....and I have a good cooler with an overclock-friendly motherboard. Mind you, coming from the spec I'm used to, I may not even feel the need.

With the cash I saved, I got a new monitor and a headset for PilotEdge, which I'd like to get into. Do you have Orbx Southern California and if so how does it perform for you? I've heard it's a bit of a beast that gobbles up FPS.

Actually I had to make some last-minute changes after posting the above. The Corsair PSU was out of stock to I opted for an EVGA model. I also did a bit more reading into the performance stats of the i5 vs the i7, and I went with the i5, because the difference between the two doesn't appear to be very much as far as how FSX will use them....and I have a good cooler with an overclock-friendly motherboard. Mind you, coming from the spec I'm used to, I may not even feel the need.

With the cash I saved, I got a new monitor and a headset for PilotEdge, which I'd like to get into. Do you have Orbx Southern California and if so how does it perform for you? I've heard it's a bit of a beast that gobbles up FPS.

I'm afraid I dont have that scenery. I should have specified its more England, Scotland and Ireland ORBX sceneries with global. I have a lot of aircraft add ons i can test for you at EGLL as EGLL and a payware aircraft with traffic is enough to test the best of systems lol

Thanks. EGLL is an airport I stay well away from currently.. I also avoid all the major metropolitan areas like central London, Paris, Manhattan, Los Angeles etc because even though I can get OK performance out of my current rig depending on aircraft, the big cities just make things too slow. Hopefull ythat will imporove with the new system as long I don't push stuff too far to the right.

The one I'm looking forward to with my new system is EGLC with the Quality Wings RJxx and the Majestic Q400.

Thanks. EGLL is an airport I stay well away from currently.. I also avoid all the major metropolitan areas like central London, Paris, Manhattan, Los Angeles etc because even though I can get OK performance out of my current rig depending on aircraft, the big cities just make things too slow. Hopefull ythat will imporove with the new system as long I don't push stuff too far to the right.

The one I'm looking forward to with my new system is EGLC with the Quality Wings RJxx and the Majestic Q400.

I can guarantee you'll be extremely satisfied with the frames on both of those with your new system, I will load up now and see what sort of frames your looking at :) The one airport I could never fly to was LFPG. I had less than 10 frames and now im getting 25 fps taxing and take off.

UPDATE:

With the Q400 and EGLC with traffic i'm getting 35 FPS, if your going to overclock the CPU no doubt youll reach the same.

I can guarantee you'll be extremely satisfied with the frames on both of those with your new system, I will load up now and see what sort of frames your looking at :) The one airport I could never fly to was LFPG. I had less than 10 frames and now im getting 25 fps taxing and take off.

UPDATE:

With the Q400 and EGLC with traffic i'm getting 35 FPS, if your going to overclock the CPU no doubt youll reach the same.

Thanks. Where are your sliders? I was planning to put autogen on "Dense". Currently I have it on "Sparse".

Ok so I'm really stupid and cant figure out to add attachments to heres a link to my scenery settings

https://postimg.org/image/pzenpb99z/

Excellent, thanks. That's pretty close to what I'd be setting.

The Q400 is a bit of a pussycat when it comes to performance. I can get reasonable FPS out of it with my current system. My most resource hungry aircraft are probably the RAZBAM Metroliner, Leonardo Maddog and Aerosoft Airbus. 

Excellent, thanks. That's pretty close to what I'd be setting.

The Q400 is a bit of a pussycat when it comes to performance. I can get reasonable FPS out of it with my current system. My most resource hungry aircraft are probably the RAZBAM Metroliner, Leonardo Maddog and Aerosoft Airbus. 

The only payware I have out of them is the Airbus and I get excellent frames, the best thing I ever did was switching from AMD to Intel, my old FX6300 was at 4.4ghz and now my i5 being at 4.5ghz gives me 3x the performance.

Quick after-op update: the system arrived just before Christmas and I've installed FSX Steam and reinstalled my scenery and (most) add-ons bit-by-bit. I can now run most aircraft over central London (Orbx England), with Large LOD and Dense Autogen at 30 FPS (locked), comfortably. Some of the worse FPS hogs will run at 18-25 for the same place and setup, but it's still smooth. I turn off Orbx for the more complex big iron anyway for VAS's sake. Some sliders still aren't all the way to the right e.g. Scenery Complexity, Water, but that's fine...I'm where I wanted to be, and can declare myself to be a happy camper performance-wise.

Thanks again to everyone who offered their input.

Looking good your new rig! I believe the 30FPS range is the average for flight SIMs with add-ons installed. I think it holds pretty well and runs great. I'm looking forward to learn more about it when I finish building mine.

Cheers!