Sign in to follow this  
scianoir

Genoa anyone?

Has anyone taken the plunge and bought the newly released Aerosoft Genoa? Aerosoft airports are usually very good visually and the available screenshots look great, but I have been caught out a few times by performance hits from some Aerosoft airports, so I'm now more reluctant to part with my cash until I have seen some reviews, particularly with reference to VAS usage etc.

Unfortunately I have noticed that Aerosoft in their support forums tend to be quite dismissive of any requests for performance related updates or fixes for their products, usually responding by saying that it worked well on their test system. This is a shame as I have most Aerosoft airports and the majority of them are great with no significant performance issues, but a few badly performing ones do nothing for Aerosoft's reputation.

I also see that Aerosoft Milan Malpensa has had some variable reviews from a performance viewpoint, so I am holding off purchasing this too, but it is by a different developer.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Aerosoft's airports are very good and include options to reduce or remove certain features.  However, I can never bring myself to turn the features off and sometimes accept a slightly lower framerate.

I've never come across a poor Aerosoft airport to date so wouldn't expect Genoa to be any different.

IAN

Aerosoft's airports are very good and include options to reduce or remove certain features.  However, I can never bring myself to turn the features off and sometimes accept a slightly lower framerate.

I've never come across a poor Aerosoft airport to date so wouldn't expect Genoa to be any different.

IAN

Hi Ian. I agree that Aerosoft airports are very good and, as I said in my post, "the majority of them are great". All their airports are visually very appealing but unfortunately I have found a few fall down in terms of performance.

I have over 70 Aerosoft airport products on my system (this does not include the various airfield bundles of which I also have a few) and most are great, but I can point out three that I have which suffer from significant VAS usage issues - Frankfurt V2, Dublin and Nassau. OK, Frankfurt is a huge airport and heavy VAS usage is perhaps to be expected but other developers (Fly Tampa for example) can produce huge airports without quite the same VAS hit and indeed many other large Aerosoft airports perform very well. I would categorise Dublin as a medium sized airport and Nassau is even smaller and, as such, wouldn't expect particularly big VAS hits with either of these. Of course, as you know, Aerosoft are just the publisher and they use a number of different developers to produce their airports. Unfortunately however when users identify significant VAS issues with a product Aerosoft tend to wash their hands of it in their forum and pass the buck back to the developer, who more often than not, tends to do nothing.

As a rule I don't monitor frame rates unless there appears to be an issue and providing everything looks smooth I am happy to ignore them. But VAS usage is something you can't ignore particularly when the dreaded OOM occurs! Unfortunately those few 'bad eggs' certainly make me wary of buying Aerosoft airports now until I at least see a few favourable reviews first.

Bill