Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

Disabling airports for VAS saving

I'm just wondering whether this method is still 'a thing' for saving VAS - or whether it has been debunked? I've not particularly had any VAS issues but I have been following this routine for a while - haphazardly. It's just a pain having to activate/deactivate sceneries before every flight, so just wanted to check whether it is still an effective exercise or just placebo.

Never disabled anything and never had an OOM. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I disable them for load times and frames - no point in loading something like LFPG if you're passing over it at FL360. I just using the freeware scenery editor to enable/disable before launching P3D.

I use sim starter from Aerosoft to load and unload sceneries works really well

Angus Rowlands: i7 8700 RTX Asus Strix 2080, 16 GB RAM

I guess it depends on the area, the density of addon airports in that area, and how complex those addon airport sceneries are. I only fly GA and I have never had any VAS issues until I switched to VR with FlyInside, which adds a bit of extra memory usage because of the VR implementation. The first time I got an OOM error was when flying in Orbx PNW north of Seattle, where I have a lot of Orbx addon airports within a relatively small area. So I guess it would make sense in such a situation to disable some of the airports that you're not flying between (but I just dialled back a few P3D settings instead to free up some memory).