Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Just finished setting up my new Dell UltraSharp U3415W monitor

I know a screenshot won't do it justice, but it would be nice to see a screenshot from the captain's seat at various zoom settings to get an idea of the angle of view. 

I'm debating if I'm going to get one 21:9 34" monitor or 3 x 16:9 27" monitors.

Well, I can do that for sure, and will send some up to you over this snowy weekend.

Depends on what you're flying.

A 34" 21:9 will give you a much better sense of speed, but the smaller size will keep things more out of scale. With a 43" you'll be able to come closer to life size of the scenery and cockpit instruments and remain a correct zoom.

I'm testing 3 x 27" Dell monitors now. The feeling of speed is tremendous because of the wide view, still the virtual cockpit is a bit too small as I'm used to a 50" LCD TV.

The perfect setup would be two 21:9 monitors on top of eachother, but I don't know if that is doable - and the amount of pixels would probably bring the computer to a meltdown...

You actually can daisy chain I think, as many U3415W's as you like. I have certainly seen two, side by side...and that would be huge....viewscape.  You have all the input and output ready for daisy chaining Data Port (v1.2) from one to the other.  If you do that, you need to under options, change the Data Port version to 1.2 from the default, 1.1a  That's all you need to do....

Display Port is the higher bandwidth on a longer cable with full colour, HDMI uses various lossy compressed data formats.

Thank you Steve. I went with the Standard-to-mini Display Port, for my connection to the GTX 1070.  It is truly sharp as a razor in display. I can see lines camera-shot 15 feet away, on Eric Clapton's forehead, in concert...LOL!   Man, I thought he looked younger on my Samsung 25 HD...DVI-Port, LOL.   The guitar playing is ageless, though.... :)))) "...Layla.....you got me on my knees..."....

Dell had a good reason to name this series, UltraSharp

As an AVSIM long-time member, I fully recommend this monitor as an upgrade candidate, from your present view-tech, if you lately have started to scratch at that 'itch'.....   :hi:

One important tip, I just thought of:

If you do decide to invest in a U3415W, I suggest you consider buying it directly from Dell, and not a 3rdP, such as Amazon, etc, and here's why;

I ordered it right from Dell, direct, and I got it 4 weeks later, as they were being built to order, right from the factory. I ordered it in the first week of November, and it was shipped on the first week of December.  My monitor is revision, or version-4They are always tweaking and improving the feature sets and monitor components.  My monitor, via the manufacture tag, was built in the month of late October/2016.

This monitor is very popular, so there is also perhaps a wait time for your queue.  If you want to be guaranteed, that your stock will be of the latest and freshest manufacture, then I'd purchase direct from Dell USA, or Dell Canada, as per your residence.  3rdP vendors already have shipped stock, and perhaps earlier month/year date of manufacture and revision (version) number.  Just my personal thoughts.  It might not matter to you, but thought to post that, as it might be important to others.

I bought this monitor earlier this year from Dell Canada when they had a great sale happening. I'm totally happy with this monitor, I'm currently running it plugged into a laptop....MSI GT72 with I7-6820, 4 gig 980m, etc. Runs the monitor fine. P3dV3 is great on it.

Dave

I bought this monitor earlier this year from Dell Canada when they had a great sale happening. I'm totally happy with this monitor, I'm currently running it plugged into a laptop....MSI GT72 with I7-6820, 4 gig 980m, etc. Runs the monitor fine. P3dV3 is great on it.

Dave

Wow...from a laptop, to this monitor?  Wow....

One important tip, I just thought of:

If you do decide to invest in a U3415W, I suggest you consider buying it directly from Dell, and not a 3rdP, such as Amazon, etc, and here's why;

I ordered it right from Dell, direct, and I got it 4 weeks later, as they were being built to order, right from the factory. I ordered it in the first week of November, and it was shipped on the first week of December.  My monitor is revision, or version-4They are always tweaking and improving the feature sets and monitor components.  My monitor, via the manufacture tag, was built in the month of late October/2016.

This monitor is very popular, so there is also perhaps a wait time for your queue.  If you want to be guaranteed, that your stock will be of the latest and freshest manufacture, then I'd purchase direct from Dell USA, or Dell Canada, as per your residence.  3rdP vendors already have shipped stock, and perhaps earlier month/year date of manufacture and revision (version) number.  Just my personal thoughts.  It might not matter to you, but thought to post that, as it might be important to others.

Yeah, I was thinking about doing that, then I saw the monitor for like $300 less at one of the big online retailers here in Sweden. Haven't ordered it yet but I think I'll end up doing just that. 

Still agonizing over a potential GPU upgrade, though. That 1080GTX looks sweet.

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Yeah, I was thinking about doing that, then I saw the monitor for like $300 less at one of the big online retailers here in Sweden. Haven't ordered it yet but I think I'll end up doing just that. 

Still agonizing over a potential GPU upgrade, though. That 1080GTX looks sweet.

That 1080 will certainly tame the beast...:)

Just to let you know, my EVGA GTX1070 FTW is running it like a champ.  Great FPS, beautiful output.  Oh...you need (when downloading an nVidia Driver Suite), that you also install the Audio HD digital driver. That is needed to drive the 9W per side, built-in speakers that the U3415W has as a feature set.  They sound very nice for their hidden size firing downwards, and reflecting off of your computer desk surface.  They do not sound cheap, nor tinny.  If you don't have a speaker system (surround, whatever) at your computer station, and don't like wearing headphones all the time, they are actually quite good, and are loud enough for any movie and or multi-media screen output.  You set this up via the nVidia driver mask, under Audio. I always wondered what that driver was for...and now I know. :)

For my 5.1 Surround Audio System used at my computer, I drive that with a Creative Sound Blaster Titanium card, so don't actually use the on-board speakers.  Good to have though...as a back up.

With the 21:9 aspect being now my 'home turf'...I could never go back to a lesser aspect ratio.  I'm now quite spoiled....and my adult son 'loves it'...as he now has my retired 25 inch Wide Screen 16:9 at his house, lol.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you order it...either from Dell, or the big online...see if you can get the latest version, called 'Rendition-4'.  It will be on the manufacture date label upon the back of the monitor. It will have the latest updates, components, and system optimizations.  I had to wait 4 weeks from Dell, as mine was being built in the last few days of October/2016.  If you order direct from Dell (USA/Canada/Europe), you will get an estimated delivery date, and the email confirmation you will be sent, will get you to your order page, direct.

On that page will show Order Confirmation, In Production, and then Shipping.  You monitor the bar and what section is colored 'blue'.  Mine was 'in production' for about 3 1/2 weeks, before I got a shipping confirmation email, along with a tracking #.  It took 5 days enroute to to the eventual 'happy knock and door bell chime' at my front door.  "Merry Christmas to myself", I said, as the carrier pulled out of my driveway, lol! :Party:  :hi:

That 1080 will certainly tame the beast...:)

With the 21:9 aspect being now my 'home turf'...I could never go back to a lessor aspect ratio.  I'm now spoiled....

When you order it...either from Dell, or the big online...see if you can get the latest version, called 'Rendition-4'.  It will be on the manufacture date label upon the back of the monitor. It will have the latest updates, components, and system optimizations.  I had to wait 4 weeks from Dell, as mine was being built in the last few days of October/2016.  If you order direct from Dell (USA/Canada/Europe), you will get an estimated delivery date, and the email confirmation you will be sent, will get you to your order page, direct.

On that page will show Order Confirmation, In Production, and then Shipping.  You monitor the bar and what section is colored 'blue'.  Mine was 'in production' for about 3 1/2 weeks, before I got a shipping confirmation email, along with a tracking #.  It took 5 days enroute to to the eventual 'happy knock and door bell chime' at my front door.  "Merry Christmas to myself", I said, as the carrier pulled out of my driveway, lol! :Party:  :hi:

I ordered it from the online vendor. What made me finally decide was the expected date of delivery. The vendor might get a shipment in on monday, and on DELLs homepage it said 60 days or something like that.. Will try to cantact them and see if it's REV4. Thanks for the tip!

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

I ordered it from the online vendor. What made me finally decide was the expected date of delivery. The vendor might get a shipment in on monday, and on DELLs homepage it said 60 days or something like that.. Will try to cantact them and see if it's REV4. Thanks for the tip!

Congratulations, Richard!  

You are going to be 21:9 assimilated...and non-adoptance.... will be FUTILE!  Do not resist, your enjoyment quotient, will be added to the U3415W Collective .... :P:Cuppa:

Merry Christmas!

Mitch

Congratulations, Richard!  

You are going to be 21:9 assimilated...and non-adoptance.... will be FUTILE!  Do not resist, your enjoyment quotient, will be added to the U3415W Collective .... :P:Cuppa:

Merry Christmas!

Mitch

Haha! I really like your enthusiasm. Can't wait to get my paws on this beauty. 

Richard

Haha! I really like your enthusiasm. Can't wait to get my paws on this beauty. 

It's gonna be different from what you are use to...you'll be doing a lot of new looking to the right...looking to the left...and just..................smugly smiling.  Trust me...you will!

Cheers,

To remove the monitor from the lower storage berth, in the packaging....click the stand into its slot in the back. Make sure the stand has 'clicked in'. Then use the stand to pull/pick up the monitor body out of the cradled packaging. You want to try to not handle the monitor body as much as possible. It is a very nice and thin bezel..and you don't want any finger/palm pressure points action upon the IPS screen.  There is a LOT of screen real-estate to handle...and the vertical shaft of the stand really lets you maneuver it, without need to touch the sides of the monitor body.   Just tips from what I have learned in owning it, and from past forum lurking... :)

Richard, just settling into a Rolling Stones concert in full 5.1 Dolby Surround featured on YouTube, as well as classical guitar. .  If you are not using a 5.1 sound system presently, with your computer, this will massively compliment the new viewing real-estate...especially when you can call up 3D amphitheater sound, and spatial positioning!  Just posting to let you see what other fabulous uses, this 21:9 beaut will offer you after shutting down at the gate...:)  This shot shows auto-aspect in play, with black bars at each full end of the 21:9 aspect, as the concert was shot in 16:9.  You can see the added content, a full 21:9 would offer you.

The screen output and sharp clarity is simply outstanding with the U3415W.  These screen captures have compression degradation, to get them up to the forum.  The actual clarity of output, especially on this great classical guitar performer, is like looking through clear glass...3440x1440 screen resolution, rocks the view!

example2.png

Rolling_Stones.png

The screen output and sharp clarity is simply outstanding with the U3415W.  These screen captures have compression degradation, to get them up to the forum.  The actual clarity of output, especially on this great classical guitar performer, is like looking through clear glass...3440x1440 screen resolution, rocks the view!

Yeah, I am stoked about this screen and hope it will suit me well not only for flight simming and general gaming bus also for my photo editing being the amteur photographer in the household. 

Really hope the retailer I ordered from get them into stock tomorrow (it was a preliminary date so here's to hoping). That would probably mean I get the screen on wednesday! Yay!

Richard

Dang!   Dell just raised the price of this monitor on both the U.S. and Canada site by $100.0

$1,299.00 as of this morning December 12, 2016.

Rich, you just got in under the wire....

$1,299.00 as of this morning December 12, 2016.

On the Internet it is selling for as low as $649 so no one should be paying much more than that!!  I got this monitor earlier this year and have been recommending it whenever I can in these forums.  Mitch, check out some of the UHD videos in the AVSIM Video forum, especially those from Rob Ainscough (some of the other members have UHD videos too but Rob's are the ones I remember right now).  Here's one of his excellent videos - http://www.avsim.com/topic/498157-bridges-zhuhai-jinwan-zgsd-pmdg-737ngx/  Make sure you go to settings and change the resolution to 1440P.  Looks great!  I watch a lot of member videos on YouTube because they bring a lot more immersion and detail.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Dell sales come and go. I missed the first one I saw and got in on the second. There'll be more.

Dave