Sign in to follow this  

scenery_packs.ini question, just to be sure

Whenever I add something to the Custom Scenery folder it gets added to the scenery_packs.ini automatically on startup. However, every new addon gets added on top. This requires me to quit XP everytime after adding a new addon and having to edit the ini. Apart from that inconvenience I noticed my Custom Scenery folder and hence also the ini became a giant mess...

Now I read that if you remove the ini completely a new one will be created and things will be added in alphabetical order. Right? So I decided to rename all my stuff in that folder: every airport folder I renamed so it starts with AP, every library folder I renamed so it start with LIB, any Ortho4XP folders I well rename so it start with OR, and so on and on. (Mesh folder(s) will start with something like Z.)

So in short, I will rename ALL folders so the Custom Scenery folder shows EVERYTHING in the exact same order as I want things to be in the ini. So whenever I add a new addon, no matter what it is, I don't just copy it to the folder but I will also delete the scenery_packs.ini so the next time I start XP everything will be added in the correct order at ONCE without the need to quit XP again and edit the ini.

Should this work indeed? Are there any disadvantages when it comes to deleting the ini (too often)? This will also make it easier to keep track of what is in that folder and the ini.

IIRC if you use a mesh then it should be the lowest in the order or even an ortho 

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

I worked with prefixes before and yes, it helped a little to keep the ini organized. No harm to delete and rebuild it as often as you like. There is also a tool, called X-Plane Scenery Manager (free) in which sceneries can be activated and deactivated with a mouse click. 

I'd put zzz/zzzz as prefix for mesh (e.g. zzz for HD mesh and zzzz for UHD mesh) and z for orthos.

Hans

There's no harm in continually deleting scenery_packs.ini. I know there are utilities that can help manage things, but I just delete it when I add something to force a re-write on next startup.

Naming your custom folders can help. I just use a basic prefix so I can keep track of what I've downloaded. Here's a small sample, where I'm using NZ for New Zealand, USA by State, etc. I include the ICAO code to make sure I can identify new vs. old versions of the same airport. 

_NZ NZCH Christchurch_Airport

_NZ NZQN Queenstown
_US_AK_PAJN - Juneau International
_US_AK_PANC_PACV
_US_CA KAVX Catalina Island
_US_FL KEYW Key West Intl

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Should this work indeed?

Yes, this will work. I use this method, too.

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

Great! At first I thought this Custom Scenery folder sucked but with this method it actually rocks. This works a lot easier than the FSX/P3D method. I also LOVE how this folder works with simple shortcuts! Very convenient!