Sign in to follow this  
Heathrow to Dublin

Good settings for 1080GTX and 4k (PMDG)?

I recently bought a MSI 1080 gtx gaming x (slightly factory overclocked)  and I am wondering what are some good setting?  Maybe I'm expecting too much. 

I am running a 4K monitor and the xeon version of the 5930K overclocked to 4.5ghz on air cooling.  I have the Orbx scenery but I disable the regions because I seem to go OOM very easily.  I use the land classes and global.   I strictly fly jets, mainly the PMDG 737. I also use activesky/cloud art, mytraffic (traffic level set at 25 percent), and GSX

I am getting only around 17-22 frames on the ground taxiing at major payware (aerosoft, FSDT, etc)  airports (EGLL, EDDF, KJFK, KMIA) and in high density areas like SFO and LAX the frames are pretty poor with default airports. Less than 20 on the ground at default LAX for example.   I get decent frames at small payware airports in less dense areas (30+) like Corfu.   

My settings are pretty high with most sliders one notch from full right and a lot of shadows turned on (vegetation, buildings, etc).  I am running 8X anti aliasing and 4k textures. Scenery complexity is Very Dense, Autogen Very Dense, Level of Detail is Ultra, Shadows are high, cloud coverage is max, Texture detail is one notch from right. 

I would like to get around 30 fps at major airports at least.  Perhaps it is necessary to acquire another 1080, a different CPU, or do some tweaks?

Thanks

Heathrow.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Download process lasso and configure it to remove any addons form core 0. Another GPU will probably not change anything but you can download CPU_Z and check the current GPU load.

UT2 is better for the frame-rates since with it you can disable AI aircraft traffic and still have 100% of it.

Download process lasso and configure it to remove any addons form core 0. Another GPU will probably not change anything but you can download CPU_Z and check the current GPU load.

UT2 is better for the frame-rates since with it you can disable AI aircraft traffic and still have 100% of it.

Ok, thanks, I'll check those out. 

I am running 8X anti aliasing and 4k textures

Try running no anti aliasing. With a 4K monitor I don't use it and can't tell the difference.

Also, try dropping to 2k textures. Will help with the OOMs.

My thoughts,

Sion

With a six-core CPU, I'd set P3D's AffinityMask to keep it on a single vCPU on each of 4 different cores--AM 85 (HT on) or 15 (HT off) and then use Process Lasso or PRIO or other utility to move programs running outside P3D (wx, ATC, etc) to CPUs 5 and 6 (virtual processors 9-12 with HT on).

Traffic is probably hitting you pretty hard.  Try running Air Traffic Manager+FSUIPC to cull out traffic above and beyond a set threshold (I use 40).  With commercial traffic at 25% in MT, you can still have 200+ active AI acft in dense metro areas and/or large airports.

Shadows can hit frames pretty hard...start with acft shadows (internal/external) and gradually work up from there.

A notch back on LOD distance can do a lot.

Try 512x512 cloud textures in ASCA.

Make sure you don't have any Windows or utility processes churning in the background.  Recently WIndows Update service has been causing big problems.

Regards