Sign in to follow this  
brucek

Anyone using XP 10/11 without a POV/hat switch?

I'm looking at a new yoke for my XP sim. It doesn't include a POV / hat switch, and I don't have multiple monitors so I'm going to need some way to pan view. The new yoke is replacing an old CH one, and I'm looking to replace it with something that will give a more realistic feel (RedBird).

Several options come to mind: using the mouse view function in XP, assigning keys to the panning functions, or keeping the old CH yoke connected as well as the new one just for the hat switch (that's assuming that XP11 would allow me to have two yokes simultaneously connected- but is obviously the least preferred option....).

I'm wondering what others do without a POV/hat switch? Any ideas would be much appreciated. (I'm on a Mac if that matters..)

Thanks, Bruce.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

the hat switch in x-plane 10 on my saitek yoke i never used,i always used my mouse to look around the cockpit or the quick keys you can assign with numlock's 1-9.

Thanks Brett, the quick-look function together with the mouse view is something I had thought of and wondered about. The key will be developing a new arm/hand response to the intent to pan.... I use the CH pov switch without even thinking. Thanks for your response, much appreciated...

Bruce

Have you considered a head-tracker like TrackIR? I use it on Windows, but it looks like there is a way to use it on a Mac with something called "Linuxtrack."

You might have to do some research on the .org forum about that, but it seems to work, and it's a great way to get VR-like immersion in the cockpit without full 3D, and it leaves your hands free for other things.

Thanks Brett, the quick-look function together with the mouse view is something I had thought of and wondered about. The key will be developing a new arm/hand response to the intent to pan.... I use the CH pov switch without even thinking. Thanks for your response, much appreciated...

Bruce

I assigned buttons to panning dont use left handed hat because I cant - right handed so it can be done - I have a saitek cessna yoke on the right side is 2 buttons I use the lower to pan left and right and the top one for look pan up and down but pan left and right does not work outside the vc only the pan up and down - probably a view switch somewhere - have to figure that out so been using mouse for now till I have more time in the sim 

Thanks Paraffin and Rich: some good ideas- your help is much appreciated...

Bruce.

Thanks Paraffin and Rich: some good ideas- your help is much appreciated...

Bruce.

Np good luck - pretty easy 

I've got a (non-stock) PFC yoke that doesn't have a hat switch either.

I tend to zip tie an old PS2 controller to the center of the yoke. Looks silly, but all the buttons on it are assigned to view-related tasks. Because XP has such a useful view system, when I'm not flying (or on autopilot) I can take the controller and move around like a regular first person game. Hat switch on left side, forward, back, left, right on right side. Shoulder buttons to save and recall views in slots one and two. Works slick.

I never used the hat switch in X-Plane (or FSX/P3D or DCS) for panning, because I usually assign trim functions to it. I use mouse look and quick views and it works fine for me.

With a yoke it's even easier, because you can steer with the left hand while changing views, using switches in the VC etc. with the mouse.