Sign in to follow this  
Mephic

Nvidia Vsync - fast mode

I wanted to share with you all something I have discovered in other simulators but seems to be really helpful with P3D smoothness. 

I am currently running on unlimited FPS as capping them always smashed my performance and gave me lower average fps. I was using Prepar3D built-in Anti Aliasing with triple buffering. Some time ago when playing with one of the mainstream bus simulators, I discovered that there is now a function of "FAST" Vsync in Nvidia Control Panel settings. 

vsyncfastfwu2z.jpg

Before the best shot was probably built-in vsync or Adaptive one, which still didn't work great for me and induced tearing. 

The main difference vs other types of vsync is that "fast" one does not create input lag but still prevents tearing and has triple buffering function built in. 

I'm not that technically savy to explain what exactly is behind it but can only recommend that you give it a try (fast vsync on in control panel, VSYNC and triple buffering OFF in sim). 

Worked some miracles in my case with regards to smoothness and I hope it will in your case too!

I wanted to share with you all something I have discovered in other simulators but seems to be really helpful with P3D smoothness. 

I am currently running on unlimited FPS as capping them always smashed my performance and gave me lower average fps. I was using Prepar3D built-in Anti Aliasing with triple buffering. Some time ago when playing with one of the mainstream bus simulators, I discovered that there is now a function of "FAST" Vsync in Nvidia Control Panel settings. 

vsyncfastfwu2z.jpg

Before the best shot was probably built-in vsync or Adaptive one, which still didn't work great for me and induced tearing. 

The main difference vs other types of vsync is that "fast" one does not create input lag but still prevents tearing and has triple buffering function built in. 

I'm not that technically savy to explain what exactly is behind it but can only recommend that you give it a try (fast vsync on in control panel, VSYNC and triple buffering OFF in sim). 

Worked some miracles in my case with regards to smoothness and I hope it will in your case too!

i am same setting like you since a week and work very well for me. VSYNC and triple buffering OFF same like me too.

vsyncfastfwu2z.jpg

I use same setting like you since a week and work very well for me. VSYNC and triple buffering OFF same like me too.

Works really fine.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

According to a senior NVIDIA engineer (who should know), fast sync is only effective at very high frame rates - see:

At lower frame rates, it's no different to using normal vsync.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit