Sign in to follow this  
ricka47

DC-3 for X-Plane

What Paraffin said.

We've been told by Laminar to hold off on officially updating add ons for X Plane 11 until further notice.  

Most plane authors are waiting until XP11 is out of beta before releasing any updated versions. I think that's entirely reasonable, since a beta is a moving target and might break something else.

Meanwhile, both developers and users are sharing info that might help users get the older planes working.

Yes, I would agree 100% with that, except it's not really releasing any update, just a "re-saved" package...

Yes, I would agree 100% with that, except it's not really releasing any update, just a "re-saved" package...

How many times do you want the plane's author to update that package? With every new beta that breaks something?

Look, this is a beta version. I know some people get tired of hearing that, but there is no point in being impatient about legacy XP10 planes not working perfectly during a beta process. If it's too frustrating and you've paid for the plane model, then just fly it in XP10 until XP11 is ready.

One important note:

Most payware plane developers in X-Plane state that they only support their models through one full version cycle. You buy a payware model for XP10, it's guaranteed to work in XP10, not future versions. Basic models, including free user-made planes often transfer over without any issues, but anything involving plugins can mean more work. If you're getting a patch (eventually) that enables a legacy XP10 plane to work in XP11 when it goes final, then that's at the discretion of the plane developer. 

I appreciate the developers who do this. They're more likely to get my business when they update these models to a full XP11 version that has new eye candy and features, But with payware, it's usually never a guarantee that anything in v10 will work in v11. This is something people will have to get used to, when they move over here from the FSX/P3D world where the underlying platform doesn't change.

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

How many times do you want the plane's author to update that package? With every new beta that breaks something?

Look, this is a beta version. I know some people get tired of hearing that, but there is no point in being impatient about legacy XP10 planes not working perfectly during a beta process. If it's too frustrating and you've paid for the plane model, then just fly it in XP10 until XP11 is ready.

One important note:

Most payware plane developers in X-Plane state that they only support their models through one full version cycle. You buy a payware model for XP10, it's guaranteed to work in XP10, not future versions. Basic models, including free user-made planes often transfer over without any issues, but anything involving plugins can mean more work. If you're getting a patch (eventually) that enables a legacy XP10 plane to work in XP11 when it goes final, then that's at the discretion of the plane developer. 

I appreciate the developers who do this. They're more likely to get my business when they update these models to a full XP11 version that has new eye candy and features, But with payware, it's usually never a guarantee that anything in v10 will work in v11. This is something people will have to get used to, when they move over here from the FSX/P3D world where the underlying platform doesn't change.

While this is on a case by case (or dev by dev) basis, nobody is saying anything of the sort.

You found an answer (and that doesn't require any extra dev work), make it available.

It couldn't be simpler, without the need of going into a rant...

I wish we could, Carlos.  But there is no way of knowing what will happen in future updates.  The reason Laminar have told us to not update any add ons for X Plane 11 (and I offer a word of caution when you see developers stating their add ons are now X Plane 11 compatible...because that is not what Laminar wants ANY developer to do yet), the landing gear fix may break in the future.  Laminar might see issues with the landing gear and fix it so the problem isn't there.  Then we have to issue another update.  Then they may change it back because the landing gear fix might have broken something to do with the tire friction.  There just isn't any way of knowing.  

We only want to publish updates that we can officially support.  And at the moment, we can't officially support any update or fix.  No matter how small it is. 

• Upvote 1

While this is on a case by case (or dev by dev) basis, nobody is saying anything of the sort.

You found an answer (and that doesn't require any extra dev work), make it available.

It couldn't be simpler, without the need of going into a rant...

I wish we could, Carlos.  But there is no way of knowing what will happen in future updates.  The reason Laminar have told us to not update any add ons for X Plane 11 (and I offer a word of caution when you see developers stating their add ons are now X Plane 11 compatible...because that is not what Laminar wants ANY developer to do yet), the landing gear fix may break in the future.  Laminar might see issues with the landing gear and fix it so the problem isn't there.  Then we have to issue another update.  Then they may change it back because the landing gear fix might have broken something to do with the tire friction.  There just isn't any way of knowing.  

We only want to publish updates that we can officially support.  And at the moment, we can't officially support any update or fix.  No matter how small it is. 

There are also costs involved in publishing an update.  So, issuing an update when X-Plane is in beta AND Laminar has said to NOT issue updates, would be stupid and a complete waste of money, especially if we know there will be more updates required to make the product completely compatible with XP11.  Have some patience, you can still fly XP10 until v11 is more stable.