Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

FS Global Ultimate - Next Generation Mesh

On 12/25/2016 at 5:28 PM, gboz said:

Anyone know where they are hiding the actual

mesh resolution used for a particular area?

Is there an index map somewhere?

gb.

Use tmfviewer from the P3d SDK. It will show all the LOD levels in a mesh file up to the maximum LOD.

14 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

The way that mesh works in P3d is that there is no priority. The mesh file with the highest LOD always takes precedence, at least that's the way it used to be.  Vector waterbodies (rivers and streams) flow downgradient by resting on the mesh just like roads and railroads do. Maybe polygon waterbodies (ponds and lakes) are messed up now and they also "hug" the mesh.

This is what I've been seeing in Prepar3D with some of the waterbodies; however, I can't tell if this the stock behavior or ORBX's changes to the terrain.cfg. I'm assuming this must be the latter.

EDIT: Actually, looking through the terrain.cfg, I can see what ORBX added but I don't think they changed how the waterbodies lay on the mesh.

Zaaw5VO.jpg

That looks like something out of the movie Avatar. I haven't seen anything like that so far in P3d V4 and I have all of the western US/Canada ORBX regions installed, FTX Global, FTX NA OpenLC and FS Global Ultimate NG. But you're right, maybe the fact that FTX Vector is MIA is causing some problem.

4 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

That looks like something out of the movie Avatar. I haven't seen anything like that so far in P3d V4 and I have all of the western US/Canada ORBX regions installed, FTX Global, FTX NA OpenLC and FS Global Ultimate NG. But you're right, maybe the fact that FTX Vector is MIA is causing some problem.

Ha! I'm actually listening to some James Horner scores at the moment! This isn't everywhere. Just where the new mesh has changed the elevations drastically (like several hundred meters). I think this photo was somewhere in South America, but I can't remember exactly where precisely.

I guess a workaround would be to change some terrain.cfg FlattenMode definitions, but I'd probably wait to see how FTX Vectors changes things. I wonder if FS Global Ultimate NG has changed those definitions already.

Yeah, that sounds like a plan. In any case, it doesn't appear to be anything that either PILOT's! or you can change in your mesh products. 

If you experience elevated lakes like shown in the picture after installing FS Global Ultimate - Next Generation into Prepar3D V4, please run the Setup from DVD again, let it update itself and select "Install Scenery Layers only (no files copied)" from the appropriate drop down menu. Do NOT use "Full Installation (all files copied)"!

I went ahead and made a few terrain.cfg FlattenMode definition changes for the waterbodies. The good thing is that some of these South American waterbodies no longer sit 200 m above the ground.......but now they hug the terrain which creates weird situations like these. It's a trade off for sure. I'm sure once new Vectors are released, we can see better treatment of the water bodies.

I'm curious what NG users see here? If it's an elevated water body, then they don't change the terrain.cfg definitions. If you see something like that below, then PILOTS! must have changed the definitions, too.

3GDBzmd.jpg

Okay, yeah, looks like the definitions weren't changed then. Come on FTX Vectors, us mesh enthusiasts are awaiting :)

I just took a look at that location on Google Maps. I can't decide what that polygon waterbody is in the real world. Maybe you guys can.

15 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

I just took a look at that location on Google Maps. I can't decide what that polygon waterbody is in the real world. Maybe you guys can.

XpDP3ju.png

Maybe this river running through Convendo?

I took a look at both  the V3  and V4 versions of terrain.cfg, both of which have been updated with what appears to be the same ORBX entries.  Note that V3 has vector installed, but V4 does not. I can't see any difference between either version's  water polygon class settings, but I might have missed something. The only difference in the two files is that the V3 file is in ANSI and the V4 is in UTF-16. That makes the latter file's size almost double.

That braided channel could be it, I suppose, but that area is relatively flat as compared to the sim location.

26 minutes ago, AviatorMoser said:

XpDP3ju.png

Maybe this river running through Convendo?

Yep, just checked in P3D3 with FSGUNG and FTX Global Vector, it should/will be displayed as a river:

S4Ru52v.jpg

Mike