Sign in to follow this  
tttocs

DX10 and Bufferpools

Some background.  I love flying.  I hate tweaking.  A long time back, I bought the fixer but never installed or made any changes to give DX10 a serious try as the sim performed very well considering my aging computer and well... I love flying.  I hate tweaking..  Then for a number of reasons I basically stopped simming for the better part of the last two years.

Fast forward to a cold day last weekend when I found myself holed up in the house hiding from sub-zero (F) temps and I decided it was time to get the sim back in shape so I could start flying again.  One promise I made to myself was that before I resumed flying, I would bite the bullet and get some long-needed updates done including installing and configuring the latest version of the Fixer.  Suffice to say that thanks to the tool and Steve's excellent manual I found the process to be quick and easy.  Before I knew it I was up in DX10 with EXCELLENT results.  I'm still making minor adjustments to AA settings, trying to find the optimal tradeoff between minimal aliasing artifacts, sharpness and  performance but I'm close enough to be happy even if I stopped now.

The one thing I've noted is that I'm now getting a fair number of black poly's popping up momentarily in ground scenery when in areas where the load is heavy.  I'm wondering if this isn't due to my bufferpool settings. Some background here as well... I've long run with Usepools=0 in DX9, as with my combination of hardware I found I was heavily loading the aged proc (mildly overclocked i7 920) and lightly loading my graphics card (EVGA GT-670-FTW). so turning off bufferpools seemed to give me the optimum performance with virtually no drawbacks.  I've been set up that way for years now.  However I'm wondering with DX10 both off-loading the CPU some, and increasing the graphics card's load if I shouldn't be going back to using bufferpools as I'm guessing that I'm throwing data at the card a bit faster than it can sometime handle.

Assuming this is correct - it's been a long time since I've messed with these settings so I'm no longer sure what kind of pool size and threshold values would be good starting points to experiment with.  I realize there's no magic values, but some suggestions in the context of DX10 vs DX9 and good starting points would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any assistance, and double thanks to Steve, not only for the most excellent tool, but for the excellent supporting documentation as well.

Scott

if you download the DX10 How To guide from NZFSIM there are some suggestion about setting bufferpools.

+1

My%20Signature.jpg

if you download the DX10 How To guide from NZFSIM there are some suggestion about setting bufferpools.

Excellent resource for more than just my specific questions.  Many thanks for the pointer.

From a quick reading I'm guessing I'm still fine without using bufferpools (for one thing, I'm not getting any spiking) so the necessary tuning may be elsewhere.

Thanks again,

Scott