Sign in to follow this  
curbz

Shimmering woes...

Hi... I'm running XP10 with HDR disabled due to excessive shimmering of scenery when enabled. The only acceptable setting for my personal taste is 8xSSAA+FXAA which moves my GPU usage from 50% for 4xSSAA+FXAA to 95%+ which means that I can no longer maintain a steady 30FPS.

I currently have a GTX970 GPU - can anyone with a 1070 or 1080 confirm whether these cards run 8xSSAA+FXAA comfortably in x-plane (other settings permitting obviously - I don't enable shadows for example)?

I have a 1920*1080 screen resolution, 4.6ghz cpu, 16gb ram.

Thanks

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I recently swapped my 970 for a 1070 and while it can run the 8x (per above), it pushes the GPU to near 100% (not sure that indicative of anything bad aside from lots of heat output).  The extra processing power of the 1080 would probably serve you well.  Another option though might be to move to a higher resolution monitor.  With 4x I find shimmering minimal with a 2560x1440 resolution.  I've seen people say that with a 4K monitor, 2x is sufficient.  I haven't used a 4K monitor myself.  Having said all that, you'd probably fall in love with a higher rez monitor and the prices are reasonable these days too.  The 970 card was good but kept running low on VRAM (or so I thought).  I figured with the new card I'd have excess memory available as reported on GPU-Z.  What I've found is, most times it's using nearly all of the 8 GB (maybe caching textures, etc is going on) so that number may be misleading.  If I were you and knowing what I know now, I'd go with a higher rez monitor and at least the 1070 card.  I've seen one person using a titan x with not so much gain in FPS (though settings could be dialed up).  I that case, it appeared the CPU might have been a bottleneck.

HDR being disabled takes away a lot of eye candy and some functionality from the sim.

Hope that helps!

-- Greg

• Upvote 1

Same trouble here, I hate shimmering but my current GPU (770) lets me drive only 2X AA sometimes 4X depending on scenery.

I'm looking forward to buy a 3440*1440 monitor to partially cure the problem without being forced to set 8X

Of course a 1080 TI with a UWide monitor could be the best solution for a single monitor set up but almost 1700 cost...not for everybody's wallet

There are also some settings in the nVidia Control Panel (3D settings) that might be worth testing.  Mainly the anti-aliasing settings toward the top.

I run a 980ti that pushes a 32" 1440p monitor.  Due to the large pixel pitch of the monitor, it behaves as a 1080p would - shimmering is still present.

My experience in XP10 has been that it's virtually impossible to remove all shimmering with HDR on, with a large pitch monitor, even at 8xSSAA+FXAA. With a 980ti, I can run that level of AA sometimes, but not always - depends on where I fly and what I'm flying. I prefer to have objects and trees denser, at the cost of having to run 4xSSAA+FXAA.

Now, good news -

My experience so far in XP11 has been that shimmering is noticeably less of an issue. Perhaps it has to do with the atmospheric rendering causing edges to soften or blur or become obscured in some way, I don't really know.  But what I can say is that I'm comfortable with running even 2xSSAA+FXAA, which then allows me to turn up the object slider to maximum.

Thanks for all your replies... most helpful!

I recently swapped my 970 for a 1070 and while it can run the 8x (per above), it pushes the GPU to near 100%

Interesting - thought (hoped) there might be a bit more headroom.

Another option though might be to move to a higher resolution monitor

Hmmm.. yes, that's an option that I can certainly test out quite easily - I have a 4K TV so I'll hook it up to that. I had considered this before but had to date refrained trying this out because, as you say Greg, I'll probably fall in love with it then I'll feel the urgent need to go and buy one!

There are also some settings in the nVidia Control Panel (3D settings) that might be worth testing. Mainly the anti-aliasing settings toward the top.

I've spent a lot of time working with these in non-HDR but the anti-aliasing doesn't take effect or HDR unfortunately

even at 8xSSAA+FXAA. With a 980ti, I can run that level of AA sometimes, but not always - depends on where I fly and what I'm flying.

Thanks Jim - good to know. Like you I also prefer to see more objects at the cost of AA - it's so infuriating though, I find it is the single most thing that breaks immersion in XP.

My experience so far in XP11 has been that shimmering is noticeably less of an issue. Perhaps it has to do with the atmospheric rendering causing edges to soften or blur or become obscured in some way, I don't really know. But what I can say is that I'm comfortable with running even 2xSSAA+FXAA, which then allows me to turn up the object slider to maximum.

That's interesting Jim - for me I didn't see any difference with XP10 v XP11. I'm actually using XP10 primarily because I find that the autogen draw distance to be less in XP11 - with XP10 I get buildings drawn further on the 'high' (not even 'very high') setting for Word detail distance versus the highest setting in XP11 for number of world objects, so I find the scenery in XP11 lacking distant objects and looking somewhat sparse. I hope the devs reconsider and add some more options to allow some tweaking of object, roads, cars etc.

..and one further thing @greg - interesting and surprising, what you are observing regarding vram - part of my reason for considering a gpu upgrade is the 4GB limitation of the 970 which appears to be maxing out -although not at the result of fps as far as I can see - so maybe it isn't max'd out. I recall the 970 having some issues with the final 0.5GB of vram that would operate at a much lower speed than the other 3.5GB - not sure how that impacts the sim.

..and one further thing @greg - interesting and surprising, what you are observing regarding vram - part of my reason for considering a gpu upgrade is the 4GB limitation of the 970 which appears to be maxing out -although not at the result of fps as far as I can see - so maybe it isn't max'd out. I recall the 970 having some issues with the final 0.5GB of vram that would operate at a much lower speed than the other 3.5GB - not sure how that impacts the sim.

Jimmy RFR makes the excellent point about pixel size, so it's not the absolute resolution, but the smaller pixel size that helps alleviate this.  Flying around yesterday testing xenviro I'm getting +/- 30 fps with the card utilization at about 60% with 4xAA.  Seems I'm CPU bound, though my CPU is only around 60% too..  The horsepower of the 1070 is about the same as the 980Ti...but has the advantage of more VRAM.  That should (i hope) eliminate some stutters (I have no idea if it will).  Here's a video of Marshall testing his new Titan with XP on a 4K monitor which looks really good...though the titan may be/probably (?) overkill lol.  Maybe he'll chime in here.  He does show his settings, perhaps it's of interest.

I never noticed any issue with that "slower" 0.5 GB of VRAM.