Sign in to follow this  
bonchie

Weirdness going on with prop effects

Booted up a flight tonight and the winds are around 10 knots.

With the 172 pointed into the wind, it's idling at 1200 RPM. When you turn from the wind, it idles like normal.

Nothing realistic about that and pretty annoying trying to taxi. Is this a side effect of the last beta messing with the prop?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Booted up a flight tonight and the winds are around 10 knots.

With the 172 pointed into the wind, it's idling at 1200 RPM. When you turn from the wind, it idles like normal.

Nothing realistic about that and pretty annoying trying to taxi. Is this a side effect of the last beta messing with the prop?

I do get a small variance in idle RPM myself... But the main problem (I think you are referring to the excessive idle thrust) is that currently all propellers (planes and helicopters) have about 40% too much power, due to a bug that should disappear with pb6.

Jan

I know people will disagree and get defensive, but it's disheartning to see such a blatant, almost experience killing bug get pushed out as part of B5 when it was a known issue. To me, it's such a big issue that you just wait until it's fixed to send out another beta, if for no other reason than to not sour the new user base we've been picking up.

And while I know this is a testing period, it's also not the first time the flight/engine model has been tweaked only to make things worse and then see them not corrected over the long term. The fact that slow-speed taxing in 5 knot winds still requires enough rudder to counter a 40 knot crosswind is just crazy at this point and I know that's existed since XP10. And now we have prop planes that won't idle and are 40% overpowered, making landings quite the adventure among other things.

I sincerely hope that it will indeed be fixed quickly, but the issue with ground taxiing should of been fixed ages ago at this point as well.

I've spent the past few months really supporting XP11 in the face of criticism and promoting it's virtues but the lack of prioritization of the most glaring flaws in XP (as well as adding the most glaring missing features) has always been a downfall of the platform and I really don't want to see this momentum lost in the community over the same mistakes.

• Upvote 1

The fact that slow-speed taxing in 5 knot winds still requires enough rudder to counter a 40 knot crosswind is just crazy at this point and I know that's existed since XP10.

I always refer to this as the "skating x-planes"...it is a huge thorn in my side when trying to use the platform with real/live weather in GA craft because it just instantly ruins the immersion for me. I think, however it was present long before v10, no? I could have sworn I also had the same problem in all versions back as far as v5, but it's been so long since those days that maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Anyway, I HAVE been VERY curious as to whether or not this has been addressed in the new XP11. Judging from your comment it seems not, which for me is a huge disappointment :-(

The fact that slow-speed taxing in 5 knot winds still requires enough rudder to counter a 40 knot crosswind is just crazy at this point and I know that's existed since XP10. And now we have prop planes that won't idle and are 40% overpowered, making landings quite the adventure among other things.

I see those as two separate issues. The 40% excess thrust from propellers was an unintended consequence, probably due to the recent change in the propeller model. Laminar doesn't have an intermediate layer of private beta testers before the beta goes public, and it even took a few days for the public beta users to spot the problem. That's normal for a beta period. .

The weathervaning problem is something else. Many of us have been talking about this for yonks, so it must mean that either Austin hasn't figured out how to fix it, or he thinks it's working as intended. It worries me that it's the latter, but without more feedback we just don't know. 

If XP11 goes to an official 1.0 version and the weathervaning is still there, we'll just have to start hacking the plane files and do our best as users to reduce the problem.