Sign in to follow this  
Airbus

Couple of newbie questions Lear 35a

Just started to wrestle with this impressive beast and it is loads of fun!  Couple of quick questions:

Having difficulty with directional control on take off.  How do you guys manage a nice smooth takeoff?

Having difficulty capturing the glideslope. Had to hand fly my last landing.  Autopilot captured the localizer OK.  Should I have pressed the GS button on the autopilot?

Small item.  Where is the cockpit/panel light switch?

Thanks for any help!

Al

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Al,

Welcome aboard - just about everyone that tries this bird comes to love it...

Directional Control - when lined up for takeoff - do you have your "Steering" button enabled ? It controls the nose wheel - if properly enabled (button on center console between the seats) - you should have a green light on the indicator panel - the sim disables this around 40 KIAS on your takeoff run as the rudder starts to have some bite... As soon as you go gear up - you should enable the yaw damper... I find that you should also start decreasing thrust and putting in nose down trim to keep your climb manageable - typically a whopping 4000 FPM to 10K Ft... As you progress - you can start using real world data for setting proper "Takeoff Thrust" and "Climb Thrust" - throttle shouldn't be maxed...

Side note on autopilot - you need to press "Altitude Select" before using any of the vertical modes such as "Speed Hold" or "VS Hold"...

Yep for a full ILS or LPV approach - you need both NAV Hold (horizontal guidance) and GS Hold (vertical guidance) enabled - preferably before you intercept the glide slope...

Panel lights are on the port side panel to the left of the pilot - rotary knobs...

Couple more things - you should download and install the improved panel graphics off the FSW website in the paints section... If you have a paid version of FSUIPC - you should PM Al (ark) in this forum and request his LUA scripts as they allow you to assign buttons to all the autopilot functions and other essentials - he also has a fix for the for an improper indication on the indicator panel...

Enjoy !!!

Regards,

Scott

Thanks Scott!

Looks like I am going to need some practice with this bird.  I noticed all the great documentation on this forum for the Lear.  I will be doing some reading.  I will be posting here again when I have further questions.

Al