Sign in to follow this  
Ivor Mills

Short Panel State

I purchased the 737 a few days ago and I have a lot of manual reading ahead of me. I have taken a couple of succesful flights starting from the default engines running state, but when I have time, I will need to learn the cold dark start up procedures.

In the meantime I want to get some hours in with my VA, but the tracking software they use requires a brakes on engines off start. The short panel state seems perfect for my needs however I have not been able to start the engines from this state. Is there a reference or procedure that gives a step by step starting sequence from the short panel state?

Thank you

Folks, correct me if I'm wrong but Tutorial 2 page 0.00.23 - I think this is the start of the short panel state. 

CORRECTION - you'd have to start the APU prior to page 0.00.23 to get to the short state as the APU is powering the plane in the short state. So you can omit that part beyond 0.00.23 but I think you should be doing everything else for the most part. 

Tutorial 2 0.00.81 starts the engine start procedure. 

I think if I started from cold and dark panel state it would take about 3 minutes to get to the short state. The only thing I don't like about the short state is the fact that the strobes are on and the stick is in the down position. (I would like to have the FMC on the IDENT page for the captain and Ground Connections on the FO side personally as well). 

brakes on engines off start.

However if your question was simply how to start the engine with the brakes on... just do it before or after pushback, not during.

Ivor, make sure the Packs are back on Off before starting, as the pressure is needed for engine start---have missed this one on many times myself!

Doug Pelton

I recommend that you start with the published normal procedures and amplified procedures in the FCOM.  Once you go through the steps a couple of times you'll start coming up with your own flows and refer to the FCOM less often.  Start with the table of contents in Vol 1 page NP.TOC.0.1

Dan Downs KCRP