Sign in to follow this  
Steve Dra

Sizing up the paint kit.....

N952CA, ED. Sorry Steve

Hehe figures...we've pretty much had duplicate lists of liveries anyway...I'll do a different one.  :wink:

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Hehe figures...we've pretty much had duplicate lists of liveries anyway...I'll do a different one.  :wink:

They have only 2 74s so not much to choose from :P

I've been painting off and on for about 10 years but still consider myself a newbie with a lot of learning ahead of me. I notice my re-painted planes look fuzzy in the P3D preview window when choosing a plane to fly ( compared to the default liveries from PMDG that look crisp. ). What do you think is causing this?

Cheers.

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

I've been painting off and on for about 10 years but still consider myself a newbie with a lot of learning ahead of me. I notice my re-painted planes look fuzzy in the P3D preview window when choosing a plane to fly ( compared to the default liveries from PMDG that look crisp. ). What do you think is causing this?

Cheers.

Make sure that you save them as per instructions. Also, load the plane in the sim to make sure that it actually does look fuzzy. When working on Photoshop or PaintShop make sure that you do less stretching and pulling. Sometime using a pen tool to design something from scratch might actually be way better than trying to import something.

Make sure that you save them as per instructions. Also, load the plane in the sim to make sure that it actually does look fuzzy. When working on Photoshop or PaintShop make sure that you do less stretching and pulling. Sometime using a pen tool to design something from scratch might actually be way better than trying to import something.

Save them as per instructions? I save them as .DDS file and use the Nvidia plugging to  complete it. DXT5         ARGB   8 bpp | interpolated alpha.    Is that correct? Thanks

Pete Richards

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

Great news!

Let me know the reg of your National and I'll do a different one (I have "ED" already in work but can change if you've already got her done)

I'm pushing out Lufthansa 50 Years and Atlas pax as my 1st releases.  Check it out here....

http://www.avsim.com/topic/503302-atlas-air-747-passenger-version-paint-request/?p=3574275

Hey Paul....did they ever fly the 747? (Any model)

I was not finding any real pics of her except for maybe a cargo -200 which also could have been a fake photo.

I have this set as one of my 1st liveries for an A330 that is in the works as I see her all the time at KLAX when I'm there...but had not planned it for the/ 747.

From my research they did not but why not paint it anyway? As far as I know there are no rules stating real liveries only.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

From my research they did not but why not paint it anyway? As far as I know there are no rules stating real liveries only.

Agreed. I don't understand why some painters say " I don't paint fictional liveries! ". Last time i checked P3D, FSX & XP are fictional simulations of flight!

Pete Richards

As far as I know there are no rules stating real liveries only.

No rules, of course. But you'll find that right after a release, most painters focus on doing real liveries. It takes a bit before they start to entertain requests for fictional ones. Keep your eye on the Avsim libraries. You'll start to see more and more of them.

• Upvote 1

Walter Meier

No rules, of course. But you'll find that right after a release, most painters focus on doing real liveries. It takes a bit before they start to entertain requests for fictional ones. Keep your eye on the Avsim libraries. You'll start to see more and more of them.

Very true Walter.

Guys...I know there are folks who do not do fictional liveries....I'm not one of them though.  A cursory review of all my 777 paints (except FedEx) will show that I do in fact paint fictional.

I am actually doing a Lufthansa Cargo repaint soon that will be fictional, so the reason I asked if Hawaiian ever flew the 747 was to ascertain if I can find reference material if I decided to paint her. 

Paul, I saw that you were looking to see if anyone else was going to do it before possibly starting it yourself.  I think if its a paint that inspires you, you should give it a try.  That is actually how I started out. :wink:

So MY reason for not painting a fictional (in this case Hawaiian) is not because I don't paint fictionals, its because my paint hangar is stuffed to the gills at the moment. :Silly:

Cheers.

Hey Pete,

In my experience having "MIPS" selected when saving textures can cause this issue.

Test flight

Looking good K!

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Very true Walter.

Guys...I know there are folks who do not do fictional liveries....I'm not one of them though.  A cursory review of all my 777 paints (except FedEx) will show that I do in fact paint fictional.

I am actually doing a Lufthansa Cargo repaint soon that will be fictional, so the reason I asked if Hawaiian ever flew the 747 was to ascertain if I can find reference material if I decided to paint her. 

Paul, I saw that you were looking to see if anyone else was going to do it before possibly starting it yourself.  I think if its a paint that inspires you, you should give it a try.  That is actually how I started out. :wink:

So MY reason for not painting a fictional (in this case Hawaiian) is not because I don't paint fictionals, its because my paint hangar is stuffed to the gills at the moment. :Silly:

Hey Pete,

In my experience having "MIPS" selected when saving textures can cause this issue.

Looking good K!

Thanks. It was the MIPS!

Pete Richards

Thanks. It was the MIPS!

ARRRGHHHHH.....MIPS...those dirty MIPS!

They gave me fits about 10 years ago when all of a sudden all my paints were coming out fuzzy...pulled out just about every hair I had back then....then a single click on a check box, textures back to razor sharp.

If you haven't already googled and discovered what evil MIPS are...take a look here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mipmap

They are a necessary evil it seems, hehe.

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Lol, thanks but I have been painting planes for twenty years and now paint pro for FSX/P3D developers so I could paint this one if I wanted - but I am a bit burned out after doing six Connie paints and a tutorial on how to paint the Connie and some pro work as well.

Plus I am not sure about configs and the engine painting problems. 

Painters, uncheck mips if using DXTBmp and always save working textures in 32 bit to keep them clean. 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Lol, thanks but I have been painting planes for twenty years and now paint pro for FSX/P3D developers so I could paint this one if I wanted - but I am a bit burned out after doing six Connie paints and a tutorial on how to paint the Connie and some pro work as well.

Plus I am not sure about configs and the engine painting problems. 

Painters, uncheck mips if using DXTBmp and always save working textures in 32 bit to keep them clean. 

I find that 32Bit are always extremely demanding on systems. I got a 4 year old powerhouse that can get everything out of the sim, but many dont. Hense when I paint I keep em DXT5.

I find that 32Bit are always extremely demanding on systems. I got a 4 year old powerhouse that can get everything out of the sim, but many dont. Hense when I paint I keep em DXT5.

You did not read my post. I said "working" textures. Of course when you are completely done and ready to share your work then change them all back to DDS DXT5. If you are working in DXT5 you are causing texture corruption on each save. 

i-5vbvgq6-S.png