Sign in to follow this  
SuperG

Leading Edge Flaps Retraction Timing Issue

First of all I would just like to say thank you for such a wonderful simulation of the 'queen'.

However, *cringe*, please could you take a look at the leading edge flaps as they retract. In the sim they all begin retracting at the same time, whereas on the real thing it seems the outboard leading edge flaps retract first followed by the others a few seconds later. This seems to be the case with the GE's and RR's. I haven't found a video of the PW's. Could this be verified and added in an update?

Thanks again for your hard work PMDG, I can't think of any other release of a complex aircraft with so few issues, congratulations!

Are you goi

First of all I would just like to say thank you for such a wonderful simulation of the 'queen'.

However, *cringe*, please could you take a look at the leading edge flaps as they retract. In the sim they all begin retracting at the same time, whereas on the real thing it seems the outboard leading edge flaps retract first followed by the others a few seconds later. This seems to be the case with the GE's and RR's. I haven't found a video of the PW's. Could this be verified and added in an update?

Thanks again for your hard work PMDG, I can't think of any other release of a complex aircraft with so few issues, congratulations!

Are you going right from flaps 5 to flaps up, or are you retracting each notch (Flaps 5 to Flaps 1, then Flaps 1 to Flaps Up)? In real life, the outboards should retract first as the pilot selects Flaps 5 to Flaps 1. Then when retracting flaps to up, the inboards should retract. But I'd be wary of wing videos since you cannot tell for certain what flap setting the pilot chose and how soon after they select another flap setting.

I have had it happen both ways so far.  Different weights, different speeds.  I am going to assume they have a retraction schedule and that PMDG knows exactly what that schedule is and has it correctly programmed.  They are going to tell you to produce something other than videos.

Are you goi

Are you going right from flaps 5 to flaps up, or are you retracting each notch (Flaps 5 to Flaps 1, then Flaps 1 to Flaps Up)? In real life, the outboards should retract first as the pilot selects Flaps 5 to Flaps 1. Then when retracting flaps to up, the inboards should retract. But I'd be wary of wing videos since you cannot tell for certain what flap setting the pilot chose and how soon after they select another flap setting.

The videos I've seen seem to be retracting from landing flaps to up. What you cannot tell is if the pilot goes all the way to the up gate or stops at flaps 5. The three different videos I've seen show the same thing, the outboards retract first, then the in boards, they never all retract at the same time. I know they're just videos which can be misleading that's why I ask for verification.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable could explain what the difference is I'm seeing between the videos and the sim.

Matthew,

This is the Group A and Group B Leading Edge flap timing.  If you take a read through the FCOM you will see the description for each group and its operation at Flaps 1 and Flaps 5.  That being said I will review the Retraction after landing to make sure it is correct. 

Paul Gollnick

Manager Customer/Technical Support

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team.jpg

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your input. Yet another quirk of the Queen...

You can probably work out what's happening using this guide:

Retraction
• Group B LE flaps retract when the flap lever is at 1 and the
inboard TE flaps are less than 4 1/2 units.
• Group A LE flaps retract when the flap lever is UP and the
outboard TE flaps are up.

If you went straight from 5 to UP, the outboard (Group B ) LE flaps would move at 4.5 units (not long after the TE flaps start moving). When the TE flaps are completely up, the inboard (Group A) LE flaps should start moving. 

This is using normal hydraulics/pneumatics.

Cheers

John H Watson

Matthew,

Good catch.  We broke this while making a correct to a different section of the logic.

It has been fixed for the next update.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Hi Rob,

Thanks, that's nice to know. By the way, it's an absolute pleasure taxiing this thing thanks to the new friction model. I always thought we'd have to wait for a completely new sim to improve that.

John, thanks for explaining. It's now as clear as mud :/

Thanks, that's nice to know. By the way, it's an absolute pleasure taxiing this thing thanks to the new friction model. I always thought we'd have to wait for a completely new sim to improve that.
You are so right; I almost enjoy taxi as much as the takeoff now that we don't have tonnes of peanut butter spread over the taxiways!