Sign in to follow this  
markjj

Delta Style PFD Cue/FD?

Hi and a big thank you to PMDG for this incredible aircraft.  A sense of nostalgia washed over me as I engaged TOGA on this bird as it reminded me of the last time I flew on the Queen with Delta from Tokyo to Detroit...truly amazing.  Anyways, I found a blog a while ago written by a Delta 747 pilot where he detailed is adventures aboard the queen.  It's a fantastic read and I highly recommend it to anyone that is an aviation geek (the reading is even more enjoyable now that we can replicate these flights).  Anyways, I have noticed that Delta 747's (formally NW) seem to have a unique flight cue on the PFD.  Here is an image (not mine, it belongs to the blog http://randpeck.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2012-05-27T20:17:00-04:00&max-results=7&start=4&by-date=false) of it.  Anyways, will this ever be modelled as an option in future updates?  Thanks

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-xPujE4MCfRU/T3kJ7TRu2GI/AAAAAAAALjg/7TPRPk_PAEQ/s1600/Guam05.jpg

• Upvote 1

Mark Javornik

I think the single cue in the QOTS II is missing the triangle that fits in the lower half of the larger triangle. It looks more like the single cue from the 777 rather than that from the 747. El Al uses the single cue shown in Mark's post as well, rather than the one included with the QOTS II. 

Ethan Eshkol

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ethanpilot787 said:

I think the single cue in the QOTS II is missing the triangle that fits in the lower half of the larger triangle. It looks more like the single cue from the 777 rather than that from the 747.

Yes, even on the LCD displays, there is a black triangle (in triangle).... or rather... 3 triangles in triangle. There was a photo on another website of the LCD display, but unfortunately it's been removed.

Cheers

John H Watson (retired 744/767 Avionics engineer)

Northwest was one of a handful of airlines that used the Single Cue V Bar instead of the Dual Cue Cross Hairs. Most airlines worldwide use the Dual Cue over the Single Cue. I have flown with both and I always felt that you could be more accurate and precise with the dual cue over the single cue. For most pilots , it was harder to learn if you were just being exposed to it, but once you got comfortable with it, you could be very precise with pitch and roll corrections.

Most simulators can be changed per customer configurations for the FD and the PMDG is easy to change as well. The single cue does look a little off because it is missing that bottom triangle part of it as others have stated.

The other thing that Northwest had that no one I know has ever had as far as an option goes are the altitude tones instead of the altitude calls on landing. Most operators have the 50, 40, 30, 20, 10 or some variation of it, but Northwest had a longer low tone at 100 feet, a medium pitch tone of shorter duration at 35 feet, and a high pitch short tone at 20 feet. I think I saw you can opt for that in PMDG as well. Most non NWA pilots found that really strange if they were used to the altitude calls. I think when Delta took over they changed the tones to the calls.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Captain_Al said:

Most operators have the 50, 40, 30, 20, 10 or some variation of it, but Northwest had a longer low tone at 100 feet, a medium pitch tone of shorter duration at 35 feet, and a high pitch short tone at 20 feet. I think I saw you can opt for that in PMDG as well.

What you've just described appears to be the flare tones in the PMDG aircraft options.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Yes, that is it Kevin, I thought I saw it there. I am not aware of any operator that has used those other than the now defunct NWA...