Sign in to follow this  
steve howlett

Earths population 7.5 billion approx?

Yeah but can they parallel park?

Which makes it all the more impressive for these girls because you bet they had to deal with comments like this along the way

• Upvote 2

Matthew Kane

Which makes it all the more impressive for these girls because you bet they had to deal with comments like this along the way

Which was clearly in jest. I'm not even sure how parallel parking would be relevant to flying.

Actually, there is some truth behind that parking jibe, although it does cut both ways when you know all about the reasoning behind it...

If you go all the way back to the origins of the human race, i.e. when we were 'hunter gatherers', typically that meant (because of the relative body strength differences between males and females), that the blokes went out hunting and the women did the gathering. This meant from an evolutionary standpoint, those who prospered and survived in respective roles, were often the males and females who had the best ability in them.

For blokes that meant when hunting, the ability to not have some big assed sabre-toothed tiger or whatever sneak up on them whilst out hunting was a big factor in not only spotting prey and accurately chucking spears etc, but also in avoiding becoming the prey, thus vision as far as detecting and judging movement became important, so peripheral vision in males tended to be a winning trait. Women on the other hand, had to be able to gather food successfully (and of course later also grow it), so the ability to spot food and perhaps more importantly, identify what was and was not poisonous (which is often difficult because of similarities between, for example, different mushrooms in terms of both shape and colour, one of which might be deadly, the other delicious), became a critical winning evolutionary trait amongst women. Thus the ability to differentiate between colours and fine details evolved to a greater level in women.

Whilst it isn't always the case of course (see below on percentages), we can see evidence of this in modern day humankind; a lot of males have better spatial awareness because they often have better peripheral vision; i.e. the receptors on the outer edges of the retina are more sensitive to movement and are often present in greater numbers in a male eye. But, the inner receptors are more sensitive to colour and these are almost always there in greater and more effective numbers in a woman's eye than they are in a man. As a result, on average a woman can differentiate between colours way better than the average man can and will also often spot details which a bloke might miss. In fact, it is estimated that the average bloke can differentiate between about 12 million different colours, whereas the average woman can differentiate between about 17 million different colours. Not only that, of the three most common types of colour blindness (protanopia, dueteranopia and tritanopia), it is reckoned that around ten percent of the world's male population is affected by one of these in some way, whereas colourblindness is incredibly rare in women.

This is why some women are indeed crap at parking (as good spatial awareness is useful for that task), but it's also why almost all blokes are inclined to dress in boring colours or have crap fashion sense in general because they are rubbish at knowing what colours go with other ones, so they simply go: 'screw it' and buy a black suit lol.

Having said that, my ex wife was, and is, literally the best person I've ever seen when it comes to parking a car. I can't tell you the amount of times that I've seen her manage to get the massive estate cars which she always drives, into the tiniest of car parking spaces. And no, she doesn't so much as brush against any other vehicles when doing that. Seriously, it sometimes looks like it has been lowered into place by a helicopter to me, because I can't figure out how the hell it could have got in there any other way lol. Amazing really, and very impressive to me, and I'm actually not bad at parking, but no bloke I've ever met could park a car better than her.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here