Sign in to follow this  
xXNightEagleXx

AFE bad carb heat management

I'd say it's up to the pilot to use carb heat when required.  It is a judgment item.  And since you didn't give an example of when it should be used, I assume you know that it is not used just because the carb temps are low.

Dan Downs KCRP

Was already discussed a few times, e.g. here: http://www.avsim.com/topic/489900-carb-heat-questions/

In short (as far as I understand it): Carb heat is only really needed (and will be introduced by the AFE) if actual carb icing conditions exist, which means not only cold enough but also moisture present to build ice.

So you don't have to worry about cold carb air temps in general, only when icing conditions exist.

AFE never manages the carb heat properly, He always sticks to a no heat at all. Is this a known bug or a desired behavior?

The formula for ice is:

water + cold = ice

A lot of simmers neglect the first bit. It isn't just the cold that causes a need for carb heat; you need the water, too. Additionally, if you're above or below the yellow band on the temp gauge, you're not likely to pick ice up because the water is already ice, or the temp drop in the throat isn't large enough to cause ice.

So...why carry hot air into your cylinders and wreck your performance? Simple answer: you don't. You simply have to know when to apply carb heat, and more importantly, when not to. That's where your AFE comes in.

Kyle Rodgers

Indeed my bad i was prone to this bad conception not because i wasn't aware that to get ice you need both water + low temp but because, probably due to a bug, i was getting easily carburetor icing in XP even though the temperature wasn't cold enough. I was so stupid to not realize that it was due to the XP that i was getting this issue and not due to the aircraft itself. 

Again my bad :(

How are you sure you were getting ice? Was it the default X-Plane pop up about ice? I've turned mine off. It's a little overly sensitive in my opinion.

Kyle Rodgers

Yes, it was. I have just disabled that message which i stupidly wasn't aware that could be disabled, indeed thanks for this tip. I mean what is the point of having a buzz killington text message that describe what is wrong instead of figure it out by yourself. 

Yes, it was. I have just disabled that message which i stupidly wasn't aware that could be disabled, indeed thanks for this tip. I mean what is the point of having a buzz killington text message that describe what is wrong instead of figure it out by yourself. 

It's probably just set to detect the slightest trace evidence, and not so much that it's continuing to accumulate (which is the main issue).

Kyle Rodgers