Sign in to follow this  
Arwen

New Yoke & Pedals - Need some help in what to buy.

On 11/14/2017 at 11:29 AM, N1125Y said:

.. my 9 years Saitek Yoke is about to go South, so a new one is on my list. The GOFLIGHT GF - VANTEDGE is within my budget, I wonder if you can post or PM your impression and experience with this Yoke.

For some reason I do not see any real reviews on this Yoke, I found one on youtube but it is not a really a serious review tha can be taken into consideration 

Happy landing

Yair    

Sorry for the later reply. I have had the yoke for about a year now. Overall my impression are pretty good. There are definately some things I wish could be changed about it however.

The build quality is a solid 4/5. It is metal, feels incredibly durable, and will probably last 15+ years with little to no problems.

However, there are some things that should be addressed. The grease that they use from the factory is not very good and causes binding along the elevator axis. I was able to get some aviation grade silicon grease and applied it and have not had a problem yet. In fact I have only had to apply it once. Just be prepared for a quick little trip to the hardware store. I was not only one with this issue.

When I received the yoke, the hat switch did not work. I am currently living in South Korea so shipping it back and forth was a bit of a pain, especially over the holidays. The mail system takes longer. I wish the QA department was a bit better, but I also understand these things happen sometimes. On a positive, the tech support was fast they were able to RMA the device for repair quickly.

The device is incredibly precise and wonderful to fly with. My only request with actually using it would be if it was a little heavier on the springs. So a little more force would be required when actually flying. Even better would be a spring tensioner of some sorts to adjust it as necessary.

Oh one last thing, it takes up quite a bit of desk space. And you have to have a piece of velcro on your desk to help prevent the yoke from moving while using it. I have gotten used to it, but it can get in the way of my keyboard when I am not using the yoke at times.

Overall I would give it a 4 out of 5. Wait for the Black Friday sale they usually have.

Nick Hatchel

"Sometimes, flying feels too godlike to be attained by man. Sometimes, the world from above seems too beautiful, too wonderful, too distant for human eyes to see …"
Charles A. Lindbergh, 1953

System: Custom Watercooled--Intel i7-8700k OC: 5.0 Ghz--Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7--EVGA GTX 1080ti Founders Edition--16GB TridentZ RGB DDR4--240GB SSD--460GB SSD--1TB WD Blue HDD--Windows 10--55" Sony XBR55900E TV--GoFlight VantEdge Yoke--MFG Crosswind Pedals--FSXThrottle Quattro Throttle Quadrant--Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS--TrackIR 5--VRInsight MCPii Boeing

..I'm wondering id GF ever found remedies to those issues that you addressed, & as fare as I know, you are not the only one referring to those issues 

Anyway. tnx u so much for your comments, they are very impotent to me

Reg.

yair  

So I'll add my $.02 to a question no one is asking anymore, but since you mentioned primarily flying helos, I'll chime in  

I've been using an X52 pro for a bunch of years and just picked up a Warthog HOTAS. 

The Warthog is hands down better in every way than the Saitek, but I actually prefer the X52 for helicopters. With a zip tie on the spring, the force is nice and light, and there's no sensation differentiation between pitch and roll axis, so cyclic movements are easy and intuitive.  Plus, you can Velcro/zip-tie the throttle to the side of your office chair and have a convincing budget collective.