Sign in to follow this  
xTiMm_

CPDLC feature

Hi guys,

I really don´t know if someone already asked for this but is there a main reason why the CPDLC feature has not been implemented into the new 747?
As I installed now the CPDLC tool from Hoppie with the style of the 747 for the North Atlantic event tomorrow on VATSIM (a lot of controllers will use the tool), I was just thinking that this feature could look fantastic directly build in into the 747?

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~cjr/CPDLC.htm

Is there any possibility for external programmers to implement this into the FMC or the 747 directly? 

Thanks for answering :)

BR
Timm

Regards, Timm
ng6sypel.png
V1 Simulations | SimAware

Unless 747 programming changed significantly since 777, it's not possible to add FANS modules into the system.

Last I talked with Tabs about this (years ago), he said that they were worried about FMC data integrity, which is a good enough reason. Though I'd certainly like to dust off the ACARS integration project.

Maybe it could be good that one of the programmers for VATSIM/IVAO is getting in contact with PMDG in order to create a connection. This feature would help us a lot! And is increasing the realism factor by maximum.

Regards, Timm
ng6sypel.png

Yes, would be nice. Also a seamless integration for VA reporting would be an interesting feature of ACARS. 

We shall wait and see what PMDG can do (or cannot).

Just realized after looking into the CDU - for a proper and full ACARS system, and maybe also CPDLC, we would also need at least read access to several system variables, such as current fix, last fix, estimated time etc.
Which further complicates things

True! I fully agree to this point but maybe a developing team like PMDG should also focus on the communication from pilots to VA's or to the network. This is as well as in the real world.
The crew is sending a lot of messages through ACARS just as for the arrival gate, any delays,... there are a lot of possibilities.

Would love it to see this in a update :)

Regards, Timm
ng6sypel.png

A suggestion could be using the 3rd CDU solely for CPDLC. This is a feature I would love to see implemented.

Best regards

Peter Lund

I would see more feasible if PMDG took the heading to program and give acces with an SDK then wait until all VA or 3rd party tool will converge on a final solution.

Hello,

now I tried to ask on VATSIM side and on side of Hoppie for more information.
I found out, that there is

1) a interface/connection/server from VATSIM side (maybe IVAO side as well) missing. This I will try to work on with a small group. I think its just a group of people missing who organize the road-map.
2) I heard, that the Developers like PMDG are not really asking or are not really interested to implement a feature like CPDLC on a global base for VATSIM/IVAO. This is sad and should be changed as this will change a lot of things!

• The way of communication on a online network during a big event like the VATSIM Cross the Pond.
  • The level of realism (as this feature is used on mainly all new airplanes)

3) As I now, for example, the 747 QOTS II has no open SDK for external programmers or developing groups to implement this feature (with maybe the help of the already working addon like Hoppie), this could be done in a good way for the ones who wants to use this feature.

4) The ATC stations. With the help of the CPDLC-Group, we could push the online networks to train the ATC to use CPDLC on a global base. This will help as well that more and more people are going to use it that all this work will also make sense.

So it would be really nice to get any kind of response from PMDG side how far we could go with this project or if there is at least "interest" in order to go on with the planning.

Thanks a lot

Best regards,
Timm Rehberg

Regards, Timm
ng6sypel.png

I thought that the VATSIM swift project will include a CPDLC function, which would be useless unless the aircraft also support it.

Long time since I heard this but I am living in hope.

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

From what I've heard, they're looking for someone who wants to be responsible for CPDLC in swift. They are actually not going to included it from the base but they're open for team members.

Regards, Timm
ng6sypel.png

1) a interface/connection/server from VATSIM side (maybe IVAO side as well) missing. This I will try to work on with a small group. I think its just a group of people missing who organize the road-map.

well essentially you need a standard of communication defined and an endpoint running. Noone can do this but the networks (well, the standard can come from elsewhere, but the endpoint must come from the network)

2 hours ago, LH747fan said:

2) I heard, that the Developers like PMDG are not really asking or are not really interested to implement a feature like CPDLC on a global base for VATSIM/IVAO. This is sad and should be changed as this will change a lot of things!

• The way of communication on a online network during a big event like the VATSIM Cross the Pond.
  • The level of realism (as this feature is used on mainly all new airplanes)

Course they aren't. They are in bussiness of aircraft simulation, not multiplayer gaming. An aircraft designer has little incentive to go out and design (let alone maintain) a system for networks to use... They might start making allowances when it becomes practicable i.e. when they know what to actually do to make this possible.

At best, they could make it possible to integrate Hoppie system at this time... but almost nobody uses it anyway.
So make CPDLC useable on the networks, some 2D gauges maybe (Airbus style and Boeing style, for starters...), and the publishers will have an incentive to create a way to integrate such modules into MCDUs. The community can work from that further on with whatever.

3) As I now, for example, the 747 QOTS II has no open SDK for external programmers or developing groups to implement this feature (with maybe the help of the already working addon like Hoppie), this could be done in a good way for the ones who wants to use this feature.

The core issue is write access to MCDU screen.
I don't see a good reason at this time for PMDG to grant any sort of access to this via SDK... again, at this time. I don't even know how hard it would be.

4) The ATC stations. With the help of the CPDLC-Group, we could push the online networks to train the ATC to use CPDLC on a global base. This will help as well that more and more people are going to use it that all this work will also make sense.

Well I guess the first impulse would have to be CPDLC integration into their software stack. Supposedly IvAc2 was to have this capability... but it was "not far from done" back when I was a division staff member, which was years ago, and the currect version still stands at 1.2.4. so...
I have no idea about Vatsim. They talked about provisions for CPDLC with their pilot software, but I don't have any idea how that went either. Judging by your latest post, it didn't actually go at all.

3 hours ago, LH747fan said:

So it would be really nice to get any kind of response from PMDG side how far we could go with this project or if there is at least "interest" in order to go on with the planning.

Dunno. PMDG don't have much to gain nor to loose at this moment. My expectation is they would be happy to support any endeavour to bring up realism, but they can't expend valuable resources on what is, effectively, a pipe dream at this point. And remember - I researched similar ideas a couple years ago - still there has been extremely little change in state of things overall.

But in any case, is it not possible to maybe integrate hoppie's CPDLC tool in the 747/777 FMC?
I am actually trying to get a contact to VATSIM to organize a own server for CPDLC tools and for the new pilot client swift, they're trying to integrate the feature as well on a global base. So no Boeing nor Airbus style, just a general feature. So there are possibilities for PMDG.

And at the end its a user decision to use it or not.

Regards, Timm
ng6sypel.png

No, not at this time it's just not possible.