Sign in to follow this  
rennman

Low cruise speed

23 hours ago, HighBypass said:

Ground speed is useless

airspeed determines stall/overspeed...ground speed is what deterimines trip time...is trip time useless to pilots?...because it sure isnt to passengers

5 hours ago, rennman said:

groundspeed is the very issue that i began at this post....or at least meant to...but let us move on...

i just did a test flight...it seems engine power is not the issue...rather VNE...this plane has a lower VNE than the F1 and Flysimware versions...i will start another post about VNE...lets see if someone responds with, "VNE is useless in this discussion"  lol

Again,ground speed doesn't have anything to do with aircraft performance.

Before you are actually flying at your planned cruising FL and position you have no way of knowing what your actual ground speed is going to be because all you have is a theoritical forecast which usually isn't very accurate and can be totally off as well.

It's no fun having to do an unplanned refueling stop and in that case your important trip time is.....useless.

Another point is that there is no VNE on the C441, but VMO.

And if you re-read my previous posts in this thread you will see that I have mentioned exactly this problem already.

10 hours ago, rennman said:

groundspeed is the very issue that i began at this post....or at least meant to...but let us move on...

i just did a test flight...it seems engine power is not the issue...rather VNE...this plane has a lower VNE than the F1 and Flysimware versions...i will start another post about VNE...lets see if someone responds with, "VNE is useless in this discussion"  lol

Well then if you are looking to increase ground speed then that is simple, just find better tailwinds, you will get your 300 Knots or even better. 

Here is 350 knots in a King Air and I have done over 400. 

350%20Knot%20King%20Air_small_zps3fpelvr

Of course once that 84-knot tail wind disappeared I was back to the world of normal upper 200 knot flying. 

10 hours ago, rennman said:

airspeed determines stall/overspeed...ground speed is what deterimines trip time...is trip time useless to pilots?...because it sure isnt to passengers

Actually exceeding the critical angle of attack determines a stall, look up an accelerated stall. Stall speed is more of a steady state fly into sort of thing used for certification and training. Stall speed and VMO is based on Indicated Airspeed and not groundspeed. You really need to read about the difference between Indicated, True and groundspeed as well as Mach number in order to have a complete understanding. The Pilot Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge would be one reference I'd recommend. https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/phak/ There are also many good articles written about this subject on AOPA. 

14 hours ago, KenG said:

Actually exceeding the critical angle of attack determines a stall

because it reduces airspeed...

without getting sidetracked into a discussion of basic aerodynamic science...i have confirmed that the Alabeo 441 has a much lower VNE than the Flysimare 441...

Alabeo barber poles at 190 kts (@FL220)

Flysimware barber poles at 220kts (FL220)

problem is...they both cant be right

this is how i have faster groundspeed with the flysimware...which for me is valuable...but of course...the Alabeo is of much higher quality...but slower

2 minutes ago, rennman said:

without getting sidetracked into a discussion of basic aerodynamic science...i have confirmed that the Alabeo 441 has a much lower VNE than the Flysimare 441...

Alabeo barber poles at 190 kts (@FL220)

Flysimware barber poles at 220kts (FL220)

problem is...they both cant be right

this is how i have faster groundspeed with the flysimware...which for me is valuable..

the Alabeo is of much higher quality...but slower

On 3/22/2017 at 8:47 PM, rennman said:

because it reduces airspeed...

This is from the document (page G-28) I provided you and is the FAA definition of a stall.

Stall. A rapid decrease in lift caused by the separation of airflow from the wing’s surface, brought on by exceeding the critical angle of attack. A stall can occur at any pitch attitude or airspeed.

Go find another CFI, CFII, MEI to argue this with. Clearly, you have incorrectly decided that you know everything about aviation and no one (not even certified professionals) can tell you otherwise. 

You can be ignorant, but when you decide to double down on ignorance that is just being stupid.

• Upvote 1

Here's something - might be a bit random, but maybe not :)

I have a freeware IL-76 - The instrument panel supplied with it had lots of missing gauges seeing as I didn't have loads of old ones installed from FS9 etc. I went looking for another panel- the closest I found which looked  - kind of, sort of like the Ilyushin's was one for a Comet 4. However the aircraft overspeeded (oversped??) due to the panel barber pole being set at M 0.76 or some such. The IL-76 can fly at M0.82 according to some internet. I edited the aircraft.cfg to raise the max speed and the barber pole on the gauge changed accordingly - no overspeed at normal Mach number for the plane. 

Alter the Alabeo aircraft cfg file maybe?

• Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Mark,

This did the trick. I changed max_mach               = 0.44 to  max_mach               = 0.495.

Took the airplane to Fl270 at -39C and the airplane stabilized perfectly at 303 KTAS with the needle overlaying the barber pole. 

• Upvote 2

You're welcome!.... and everyone's happy once again! :gaul:  

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

On 3/23/2017 at 4:19 AM, polizei said:

it's a bug in the Alabeo version.

so its it a simple matter of just editing the cfg file?

apparently yes. 

[Reference Speeds]
max_mach  = 0.5

good deal...thanks for confirming....im glad its an easy fix...but this seems like a glaring mistake...i dont feel confident about purchasing from alabeo again

thanks again