lucasgozzard

Gate numbers in FMC

Hi,

I've noticed in the 737 NGX, 777 and 747 QOS that, sometimes, when entering the gate number at which the plane is parked in the FMC it says NOT IN DATABASE.  

Is there a way to fix this or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

Lucas Gozzard. 

• Upvote 1

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

That comes from the Navigraph database if im correct - so its not supplied or coded from their end i think thats how it works..

8 hours ago, lucasgozzard said:

Is there a way to fix this or am I doing something wrong?

The data that comes from Navigraph only has it for a few airports. You'd need to manually add it in, unless they have it in there, and I can't remember if they still have it for the airports that had it waaaay back in the day.

The reason it was in there (and more important) was to assist in setting the initial position. Before GPS was integrated into the position mix of the FMC, having the gate in the database made it easy to simply import the position of where you were. When people used the old Delco Carousel units, you had to manually type the Lat/Lon in there and errors in the INIT POS entries could cause issues for position accuracy down the line. Now, with the accuracy of GPS, you can simply select the GPS-reported position with the same (or better - depending on the recency of the gate position survey) level of accuracy. So while the function is there, it's somewhat deprecated.

thats what happens when lat/long data is being entered wrongly (and not double checked during pre-flight). Amazing that some Airlines are still using a manual entry version on their FMC in 2015...

Spoiler

AN investigation into an AirAsia X flight that turned the wrong way after taking off from Sydney has revealed a litany of failures by the airline and crew.

Flight 223 to Kuala Lumpur on March 10, 2015 had to be guided to Melbourne to land after the captain inadvertently entered the wrong data in the flight computer.

An Australian Transport Safety Bureau report found the captain got the longitudinal position of the aircraft incorrect by 11,000 kilometres, sending the A330’s on-board navigation system into a spin.

“Despite a number of opportunities to identify and correct the error, it was not noticed until after the aircraft became airborne and started tracking in the wrong direction.” said the ATSB report.

“The ATSB also found that the aircraft was not fitted with an upgraded flight management system that would have prevented the data entry error via either automated initialisation or automatic correction of manual errors.”

Air Traffic Control was forced to hold up an aircraft on another runway when the AirAsia X plane turned in its path.

The report noted that the flight crew attempted to “troubleshoot and rectify the situation while under heavy workload” but that only made the problem worse.

“Combined with limited guidance from the available checklists, this resulted in further errors by the flight crew in the diagnosis and actioning of flight deck switches,” the report said.

The pilot requested to return to Sydney to land but deteriorating weather conditions meant it had to be diverted to Melbourne with the assistance of ATC for a visual landing.

Full link: http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/how-one-simple-mistake-turned-an-airasia-x-flight-into-a-nightmare/news-story/ec4805f5c5c1e3bea7593416ad3d9679