Sign in to follow this  
Bkolar81

787?

1 hour ago, klimchuk said:

X-Plane and FSX are different sims, P3D aren't THAT different. That's why PMDG pretty much stopped experimenting with X-Plane because they could get +150% profit for a little work for P3D.

Thats what I meant when I said they look the same. FSX and P3D1 and 2, maybe even 3 may have been technically almost identical. At the base at least as all were 32bit. p3D4 is a completely different code and required months of work to rewrite the existing addons. Not only for PMDG but also for other main developers. 

Edited by Ephedrin

3 hours ago, klimchuk said:

X-Plane and FSX are different sims, P3D aren't THAT different. That's why PMDG pretty much stopped experimenting with X-Plane because they could get +150% profit for a little work for P3D.

What exactly are you building your facts on??? Do you have any knowledge about what's going on 'under the hood' on either of these sims? How come you seem to have internal knowledge about PMDG's business decisions?

As far as I know, there's quite a difference, when it comes to technical limitations and possibilities from FSX to Prepar3D v4.

Unless you have some hard facts to back up your claims, or you simply refrain from generalizing your own personal opinion, I would urge to at the most, to stop making these accusations and stop stating your opinion as fact.

Edited by Anders Bermann

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Most airport scenery is a free patched version of 32bit scenery. some of which is years old for P3Dv4, the new built 64bit only scenery is being worked on now, using the P3Dv4 SDK and have stated there will be a discount for users upgrading.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Sceneries and aircraft addons are comparable like apples and saxophones.

1 hour ago, rjfry said:

Most airport scenery is a free patched version of 32bit scenery. some of which is years old for P3Dv4, the new built 64bit only scenery is being worked on now, using the P3Dv4 SDK and have stated there will be a discount for users upgrading.

I mean, yeah, but keep in mind that the people who design scenery don't have to license their scenery from the airport owner and/or Earth, and weather devs don't license their stuff from Mother Nature.

People who design aircraft? Yeah, we gotta license our stuff.

So...as Marc said...apples and saxophones. I see the logic trail you're on, but it neglects a huge key issue: someone owns the intellectual property we're modeling. Weather and scenery, this is not the case.

• Like 1

Kyle Rodgers

6 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

scenery, this is not the case

Good to know. I would have thought there could be a license due to the design of the terminal by architects.

Does it means that anyone in the real world can build a terminal with the same design, without any authorization with subject to the "intellectual property of the design"?

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

11 hours ago, klimchuk said:

Interesting assertion given that you have zero visibility into our business strategies and decisions. Please refrain from making such baseless assertions, as you have no visibility into this matter.

You may also want to read up on the fact that we have been continually updating the P3D line because P3D is a moving target. When P3D is updated, we've been updating our products to ensure compatibility. This comes at an additional cost, which was included in the original purchase price. We provided an x64 installer when the 64-bit version of P3D came out, at no additional cost to the end user. FSX? That has been the same for over a decade now. Not nearly the amount of work the P3D development involves. Have a gander at some of the leading devs out there. Many of them released for the x86 version of P3D before they released an x64 version, even after the x64 version of P3D was out.

...but sure...it's easy, right? They just developed x86 and x64 separately because they felt like it.

Before you claim someone's job is easy, and criticize their approach to something, it's considered proper form to either do a bit of research, or that you're speaking from a position of experiential knowledge in that realm (in other words, are a developer, or have developed for these platforms to have knowledge of development and the decisions surrounding that).

Also...FSX and P3D are entirely different beasts from a market standpoint: one's commercial/training/ed, the other is entertainment. When Redbird sims put ESP (now called P3D) into their sims, they didn't pay the $59.99 that most people paid for FSX. They paid quite a lot more for ESP, because it was the commercial version of FSX. When I was in college, I got the entire Creative Suite for $222. Retail for a commercial license for Photoshop alone at the time was $1200. If you drive your car around alone, you'll pay X for car insurance. You want to start driving for Uber/Lyft/etc? That's gonna go up.

Welcome to the real world. If you want to engage in a different part of the market, there will be costs associated with that.

• Like 2

Kyle Rodgers

1 hour ago, scandinavian13 said:

I mean, yeah, but keep in mind that the people who design scenery don't have to license their scenery from the airport owner and/or Earth, and weather devs don't license their stuff from Mother Nature.

People who design aircraft? Yeah, we gotta license our stuff.

So...as Marc said...apples and saxophones. I see the logic trail you're on, but it neglects a huge key issue: someone owns the intellectual property we're modeling. Weather and scenery, this is not the case.

I total agree I was trying make the point the difference in updating scenery is no comparison to a complex aircraft with all the flight dynamics and licencing , but developing from scratch a new product from the ground up comes at some cost to the developer which has to be met even in scenery.   

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

2 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

Agreed...

Although, doesn't scenery developers typically license/purchase photos and orthographic imagery for their projects? Which - as far as I'm aware - is quite expensive sometimes... 

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Just now, Anders Bermann said:

Agreed...

Although, doesn't scenery developers typically license/purchase photos and orthographic imagery for their projects? Which - as far as I'm aware - is quite expensive sometimes... 

Depends. All the same, there's rarely a difference in pricing for the market, however. Once they have it, they have it regardless of market.

• Like 1

Kyle Rodgers

1 minute ago, scandinavian13 said:

Depends. All the same, there's rarely a difference in pricing for the market, however. Once they have it, they have it regardless of market.

Fair point... Haven't thought about it, in that way.

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--