Sign in to follow this  
Beeline90

Stutters :(

Hi 

So thought I would try the xp11 demo before buying the full version and was disappointed to find small constant stutters throughout the flight,

particularly in turns. I tried the disable thread thingy in nvidia panel and lower settings but to no avail. I have a reasonable system, 4.7g cpu 

and 1080gtx card so was surprised given how smooth xp10 seemed. Is this a common known issue with a fix or something i'm doing wrong?

Thanks

I went and got hypnotized. I no longer see them. 

Bob

6 hours ago, nigel day said:

and 1080gtx card so was surprised given how smooth xp10 seemed. Is this a common known issue with a fix or something i'm doing wrong?

I'm using a lower grade video card (GTX970) with no stutters, but system specs (especially RAM) can make a big difference here.

What are your system specs for CPU, RAM, and monitor resolution?

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

5 hours ago, nigel day said:

small constant stutters throughout the flight,

particularly in turns.

I have noticed steep turns do seem to produce short stutters. 

John  Hubbard   MSFS2020 - Win10                    

1 hour ago, nigel day said:

Surprised you can see at all

I know! My first appointment made things worse actually as I started having bad dreams. I would take off at my favorite airport and then everything around me no matter where I went was nothing but water! I am surprised I recovered. Almost went back to P3D:laugh:

11 minutes ago, N1G said:

I know! My first appointment made things worse actually as I started having bad dreams. I would take off at my favorite airport and then everything around me no matter where I went was nothing but water! I am surprised I recovered. Almost went back to P3D:laugh:

So apart from trolling have you got anything helpful to add to the thread topic?

Nigel, the stutter issue has been around for 20 years. There are so many variables that it is mind blowing. Just do a search and you will find an enormous amount of information that you can research to try and improve your experience. A troll I am not, but humor is sometimes needed in the flight-sim community. For instance, I could have said "Have you done all of the tweeks available?", but that would have come off as being a smart a##. So I chose a different path. If you are reaching out to me for advice, I would say since you have a strong system that maybe try slowing down your OC on the CPU. That has been mentioned many times but again as we all say "Your results may vary"

Good Day!

Bob

• Upvote 1

Thanks Bob. As I said earlier I never had this problem with XP10  so that's why i'm surprised even with lower settings.

One of the reasons I liked xplane was because it hardly stuttered ( for me ) compared to P2D.

Thanks for a more helpful response.

Hi Nigel, no problem. When you said "troll", I fell apart. No one has ever called me that b4!

I just felt helpless and sad.:laugh: 

All kidding aside. Yes even with my 6700k @4.5 and a 1070,  I still get micro stutters. They are consistent in motion, but most notably with sophisticated aircraft,  so for me it's not anything that is interrupting the flow like something running in the background intermittently . I think LM has done a great good job with the smoothness aspect and am very happy so far. But, you will find there will always be those who will never stop tweaking long enough to enjoy the experience. In FSX, and you all know who you are! (me included), were locked into the tweaking frenzy. There will be some here on the forum who will tell you to stop tweaking, stop OC'n and enjoy what is going to be one of the best flightsims to date. Just don't get stuck in the tweaking frenzy if you can.

Bob

1 hour ago, nigel day said:

As I said earlier I never had this problem with XP10  so that's why i'm surprised even with lower settings.

XP11 is more resource intensive in a few areas. One difference is that extended dsf loading was an option in XP10. Now it's just part of the sim and not an option, because Laminar is assuming enough people have the system RAM to support it. 

What are your system specs for RAM, CPU, and what monitor resolution are you running? 

28 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

XP11 is more resource intensive in a few areas. One difference is that extended dsf loading was an option in XP10. Now it's just part of the sim and not an option, because Laminar is assuming enough people have the system RAM to support it. 

What are your system specs for RAM, CPU, and what monitor resolution are you running? 

16G RAM, 4.7G CPU (2500k) and GTX1080 at 4K

Thanks

2 hours ago, nigel day said:

16G RAM, 4.7G CPU (2500k) and GTX1080 at 4K

Okay, my first thought here is is that you're pushing XP11 right to the limit by running a 4K monitor resolution.

You might have had no stutters in XP10 at 4K, but the new features in XP11 might be just enough to push it over the edge, into swapping out VRAM or system RAM across the bus, and causing stutters when loading scenery objects.

Maybe some others here running 4K resolution can comment on their systems and the results they're getting.

I believe it all boils down to how much Vid Ram you have on your card....XP10 and 11 actually uses each dram.  If your vid settings are high, you are constantly swapping out to the main system RAM which will produce pause micro stutters as your CPU keeps on top of the swap out.  This is in turns, or straight flight.

The bottom line, you can't escape from.  You need an 8 GB card as the minimum to enjoy at least 70 percent of the feature slider potential.  Even with a 6GB vid RAM card, you'll be banging the head boards....but truly, 6 GB IS the bare minimum for smooth animation with medium settings, across all sliders.