Sign in to follow this  
Cruachan

Another strange finding!!

Oh you fibber, take a look at your post again - top right hand corner - where I am, Scotland, it reads: Sun Jan-15-06 01:53 AMMike ;)

your bios might need a new battery, does windows keep track of time OK? maybe you have a virus

I agree, your PC's batt is probably worn out, but that's expected in a 60 year old machine. Happy New Year! It was 2067 a few days ago.

"I agree, your PC's batt is probably worn out, but that's expected in a 60 year old machine. Happy New Year! It was 2067 a few days ago.".....I've just run the version of Sandra which would have been appropriate for interrogating the voltage sensors on my machine way back in 2006 and these are the results:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/138994.jpgSomehow I don't think the MoBo's battery is the cause - appears to be still holding out just fine and my system's performance is up to par and appears as stable as ever.Any other thoughts?MikeP4 2.4GHz (400FSB), 1Gig PC2100 DDR Crucial, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB (Omega 2.6.53 / Catalyst 5.7), SB Audigy (5.12.0001.0443), Hyundai ImageQuest Q17 17" TFT LCD 20ms Monitor (1280x1024x32), Gigabyte GA-8IRXP MoBo, Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 (160GB) + IBM Deskstar 120GXP UDMA100 (40 GB), Ultra-Quiet PSU 400W, Logitech MX1000 Laser Mouse, WinXP Home (SP2), DirectX 9.0c, AGP Aperture = 128MB

do you ever notice when you turn on the computer the windows clock is totally off since when you last turned it off? I am not familiar with those tests but it appears to just tell you what voltage your battery uses, not whether it is going bad or not

"do you ever notice when you turn on the computer the windows clock is totally off since when you last turned it off? I am not familiar with those tests but it appears to just tell you what voltage your battery uses, not whether it is going bad or not"......nope, the windows clock never seems to miss a beat and remains reasonably accurate.Sandra (SiSoftware Sandra Lite 2005.SR3)is, quote: "an award-winning utility which now includes remote analysis, benchmarking and diagnostic features for PCs, servers, PDAs, Smart Phones, small office/home office (SOHO) networks and enterprise networks." unquoteIn this instance I have run the Mainboard information module which includes Temps, Fans and Voltages Information - queries the environment monitor for temperature, cooling and voltage sensors.As far as the battery voltage is concerned, each time I run the module, it returns the current voltage across the battery poles as monitored by the onboard sensor.Mike

Here are the voltages recorded at intervals over an hour:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/139000.jpgSeems pretty stable to me.I can't help feeling we are barking up the wrong tree. The CMOS battery should, unless faulty, under normal conditions of use have a lifetime of up to 10 years. My system is currently 3

Guest Bob Z

MikeBefore you do anything drastic hardware-wise, I checked my modules folder and I have the same thing. I don't know if the modules are exactly the same as yours but the date accessed is also 2068. I have had the last access turned off in the registry for at least a year and a half.I did a search on all files on my drives for a date accessed between today and the year 2099. The only files affected are FS9 files and they all appear to be related to the FS9.1 update. The FS9UpdateUninstall.exe and the FS9UpdateReadme.rtf in the main FS9 folder also have this date. There are also some in other FS9 folders and they all appear to be 9.1 files (bridges, New York agn files, etc).I would expect that if it was a hardware issue there would also be files affected that are other than FS9 files.Several months back I uninstalled and reinstalled the 9.1 update several times in an attempt to alleviate the autogen display distance issue and the last time I forgot to delete the backup folder created by the update, so I have 2 of each file in the backup folder. These also have the 2068 date, I don't know if this is related.I have not experienced any problems with FS9 other than a few of the well discussed ones which we all have to one degree or another, so I don't think the date affects the sim performance in any way.I'm currently using the FS9.1 update but with the FS9.0 generic.bgl and this increases the autogen display distance.

There is an option in XP to disable the Last Access Timestamp. According to Microsoft 'Disabling the Last Access Time improves the speed of folder and file access.' This access can be disabled by entering the following statement in the command prompt:FSUTIL BEHAVIOR SET DISABLELASTACCCES 1or by changing the registry key HKLMSYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlFileSystemNtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate I've had this set for a long time on my PC without noticing any adverse effects. It can, however, affect programs such as backup and Remote Storage. Source: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...-us/fsutil.mspx

Thanks Bob and mgh, this is both reassuring and fascinating. I wonder whether MS are aware of this?Fortunately this does not appear to have any deleterious affects on FS9's behaviour. I too have had "NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate" set for some time now so this, I am assuming, would explain why the date has not changed since the installation of FS9.1. Yet I note that when you copy and paste any or all of these files to some other location the "Date Accessed" is updated to the time of performing said action. This is confirmed when I examined my copy of the content of the modules folder taken immediately following the 9.1 update: the Date Accessed for ALL the files = 22/10/2004 which is presumably at or shortly after the time the update was applied.Cheers guys, I appreciate you taking the time. It all seems to make perfect sense now :)MikeEdit: I can stop poking my head around the door now to check whether my PC has disappeared on another time jaunt..lol

The reference I gave explains how the Last Access System works. My understanding is that simply opening and closing a file without saving it will not necessarily change the Last Access time anyway.

As a quick supplemental: I've now modified these dates to something more sensible with a nifty little utility called AttributeMagic. Whether or not I really needed to is, of course, another matter. Makes me feel better and that's what counts!Mike

Guest Derek D

I was going to suggest simply deleting the erroneously dated files and copy the originals off of the CD, but in all honesty I can't imagine the timestamps would have any effect on FS's behavior anyway.

Guest Ridge_Runner_5

>do you ever notice when you turn on the computer the windows>clock is totally off since when you last turned it off? I am>not familiar with those tests but it appears to just tell you>what voltage your battery uses, not whether it is going bad or>notThat has happened to me before...Ive had a hard reboot, and, when I come back, the date is January 31st, 2032...

Hi Derek,"suggest simply deleting the erroneously dated files and copy the originals off of the CD".....In case others should be tempted I feel I should again point out that ALL the affected files were the updated versions as installed by the 9.1 updater. If you reinstall off the original CDs you will revert back to the earlier version numbers.Mike

The evidence that follows is the result of conducting a search of my entire FS9 folder and associated subfolders for files with the Date Accessed = 30/09/2068 and yielded the following results:Flight Simulator 9 (root) = FS9UpdateReadme.rtf and FS9UpdateUninstall.exe AND FS9.EXEFlight Simulator 9BACKUP = 36 files (all with the format: *.A447.DLL) - this folder, if I remember correctly, was created by the FS9.1 updater. Note that one of the files is the previous version of FS9.EXE (9.0.0.30612). Also note that all the remaining files have 30/09 as part of their Date Accessed.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/139152.jpgFlight Simulator 9SceneryGenericscenery = 2 files (bridges and bridges01)Flight Simulator 9SceneryGenerictexture = 141 files (seem to be all bitmaps of bridges)Flight Simulator 9SceneryCitiesNewyorktexture = 36 files (all autogen files)I think these findings pretty much clinches it. There appears to very little doubt that, whatever the reason behind it, these Date Accessed anomalies were introduced by the FS9.1 Updater back in 2004.I note the Date Accessed for fs91upd.exe on my HD is 11/10/2004. The fact that I had edited the DWORD Value of NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate in the Registry prior to the 9.1 update ensured the Date Accessed would not change subsequently system wide.Mike

Guest Bob Z

Remembering from the search I did yesterday, that looks just about the same as what I got.It doesn't appear to affect the sim performance whatsoever.

Hi Bob,My apologies! In fact you had it nailed before I did and my findings have simply confirmed that to be true. Your observations must have had a subliminal effect and guided me accordingly :)Cheers!Mike

Hi,I'm beginning to think I'm jinxed :( This last wee while I appear to have had the knack for stumbling across strange findings which are not easily explained. For my latest, look at the following image taken from a section of my modules folder:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/138909.jpgExamine the column on the far right which is "Date Accessed" and note the year - 2068 (!?)Now I swear to you all I have not inadvertently been fooling around with time travel, much as the thought appeals. Yet there it is, some 62 years into the future this PC of mine, so lovingly and carefully crafted all those years ago, appears to be still functioning! What's more, those date stamps also suggest that FS9 is still alive and kicking!!! How's that for stability and reliability?!The times indicate that this all happened over a couple of minutes. Not bad going, eh? Leap into the future, load the sim, go for a flight and leap back again, and all within 120 secs or so, phew!Sadly the flaw in my working theory appears to be the absence of similar findings on conducting random searches in other folders :(So, I'm left with a problem - how could this have occurred?I've checked - these are all FS9.1 files (Ver. 9.01.040901.01) and XP's clock seems to be functioning normally.Any takers?Mike

Guest Daniel Pimentel

People obviously have no idea how to administer their PC properly ,so they come and ask their very newbie question in the WRONG forum.I only wish the admins would do their job and fliter these kind of posts.I agree with the last part, I'd just apply it pertaining your post instead of his.. :) Quit trolling already, man. Mods have been alerted (again).Daniel P.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpgMember of SJU Photography. [A HREF=http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=9004]Click Here[/A] to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!The official psychotic AA painter. :)

"People obviously have no idea how to administer their PC properly ,so they come and ask their very newbie question in the WRONG forum.I only wish the admins would do their job and fliter these kind of posts.".......Hi Daniel, I am having difficulty deciding whether these statements were directed at me or another poster. However, I'm quite sure they were ill-chosen and certainly unnecessary at this stage in the thread.As far as I can see, all the contributions have been perfectly apposite and most have been helpful in some way or another.As to whether this thread should be moved to a more appropriate Forum, well, you will note I did make this suggestion in response no. 8. Perhaps my original message should have been posted in the Hardware Forum and, if so, I have no problem about holding my hand up. In my defense, I'm quite sure the Moderator will have considered the matter and decided, on balance and in view of the undoubted interest it has attracted amongst other interested simmers, that it was reasonable to leave the thread where it is or at least until we arrived at some conclusion. In any event, I think we are all now agreed that the subject of this thread has not been a hardware issue nor does it appear to have any negative influence on the proper functioning of FS9.Regards,MikeEdit: I would just like to add for those who have been following this thread that I have now conducted a system-wide search for the Date Accessed = 30/09/2068 and have found no other affected files.