Hi,

I changed my NVIDIA 780 ti for an 1080 ti this week and I dont have expected result I have around the same 25 fps and sometime my FSX crash with the message to ask to change my resolution and setup. I use the setting required by orbx for their sceneries :Here my FSX and addons :

Level of detail radius :Large 
Global texture resolution: Max 
Mesh complexity 100 
Mesh resolution 5m 
Scenery complexity Extremely Dense 
Autogen density Normal 
GA AI traffic 16-50% 
Road vehicle traffic 16% 

Simulator:  FSX Service Pack 2, A lot of Orbx sceneries and more than 1000 addons, DX10Controller, AS16+ASA, EvenText, UT2m etc
CPU: I7 4790K, GPU: NVIDIA 1080 ti, Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Hero, Thrusmaster Hotas X, AMD RAm : 2X8 2133

Im up to date with driver 382.05 

I tried to overclock my card with EVGA Precision XOC 6.1 but not big change with FSX FPS

Someone have an idea to config my card or conflict that I can have with my hardware?

Thanks in advance for your help

Pierre

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The crash asking to change the resolution pertains to your monitor's resolution.  Did you uninstall the old drivers and video card before installing the 1080 Ti?  Our own Poppet recently did a tutorial on the subject:

Both the old video card and it's drivers should be uninstalled before installing a new video card.  Also, when installing a new card the drivers included on the manufacturer's CD should be installed first, then a reboot before upgrading to a newer driver.

If you are seeing no greater fps after installing a new video card then your system is probably CPU bound.  Is you 4790K overclocked?  The 1080 Ti is a brute of a card, and even if you can't realize more fps it will deliver much better visuals and at higher resolutions.

Good luck,

Greg

Hi Greg,

Firstly thanks for your fast help :) 

I uninstalled my drivers with DDU and reinstalled the last nvidia drivers with administrator rights (382.05-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql.exe) and nothing is better. I also remove my fsx.cfg as required and with the new one create by FSX and after my FS work more slowly. Probably I need to tweak it but not sure for now is the solution.

14 hours ago, lownslo said:

If you are seeing no greater fps after installing a new video card then your system is probably CPU bound.  Is you 4790K overclocked? 

No I dont know how to overclock my CPU I'm a bit afraid to burn it,  I use the software ASUS Dual Intelligent Processors 5 to do setup my system. I don't  understand really the relation between Block Frequency and Ratio. Now my CPU Frequency is around 4400 MHz. 

Thanks again.

Pierre

Hi Pierre,

Did uninstalling and then reinstalling the video drivers resolve the FSX crash with the message about changing resolution?  I still recommend you uninstall the 382.05's and then install whatever drivers the video card manufacturer provided.  Sometimes manufacturers will change some code of the drivers for reasons pertaining to their design/manufacture/function of their card(s).  Again, it's always best to install the manufacturer's drivers before installing any other driver.

Regarding overclocking, I have the same motherboard (and CPU) as you but I don't use ASUS's overclocking tools.  It seems that your CPU is overclocking to its Turbo speed (4.4 GHz) just fine, so that's working as it should.  I have always overclocked manually but one of the best Haswell/Devils Canyon overclocking guides I've seen was created by flight sim developer NickN: http://www.simforums.com/Forums/haswell-4-8ghz-on-air-building-a-haswell-system_topic46180.html

Nick's guide was written for the Haswell series of CPU's but it should work fine for your Devils Canyon 4790K.  Our systems are very much alike but I use a 970 and my memory is running at 2666.  My system is clocked at 4.9 GHz and I fly GA only (A2A/RealAir in Orbx regions) but I rarely see my FPS drop below my locked 30.  Of course a lot of this is about how we configure our sim, and we each configure it differently.  Evenso, no matter how much speed you get out of your CPU/Motherboard/Memory you may still be CPU bound... your video card is very strong.  If you can't get more fps out of your system then perhaps your 1080 Ti's real strength will be providing you with outstanding visuals.

Greg

Hello Greg,

My GPU box provide by Newegg didn't have any CD with drivers installation software. Yes I had again message about changing resolution and this time I removed nvidia drivers directly with uninstaller of windows in safe mode and I reinstalled driver that I downloaded from nvidia. Since this time I don't have any problem. I knock on wood... 

I overclocked my CPU to 4.6 GHz with ASUS tool and I didn't see a lot of difference in FPS only about the temperature who raise around 78 to 80c. I have around 30 FPS with the very nice ORBX Lancair around cities and less with complexe airports from FlightBeam and FSDreamTeam but if I fly PMDG or FSLabs aircraft the FPS down to 15-25... I bought a 1080 ti its to be able to fly easily in this type of environment. For now I feel a bit frustrated but I will find a solution. I hope :)

About EVGA Precision OCX, when I test an overclock by setting temperature, with Heaven Benchmark its work well. The GPU temperature raise with the FSP until the max setted. But with FSX the temperature of GPU still not raise significantly and the FPS too.  Its seem that GPU dont recognize FSX or vice et versa...

Also, I change the slot of card and take the cables provide with the box. Seems better but I'm not so sure...

Thanks

Pierre

Hi Greg and every body

Yesterday I change the setup of my nvidia inspector, DX10 Scenery Fixer and my fsx.cfg by following this video and I have more stability and best FPS now. I remove also all setup that I did on EVGA Precision  OCX because I miss understand how to use correctly this tool. I hope to find a good tutorial about it.

Here the video who help me to setup my FSX graphic environment 

Good launch ;)

Pierre