Sign in to follow this  
tomp94

Unable to create .wx file in PMDG wx folder

Evening all,

Just purchased the 777 and am trying to get the winds set up ...

I have created a flight plan in PFPX and saved it to the relevant folders...

Now I go in to the PMDG WX folder to create a new notepad file to paste the wind data in for my route. However I am unable to do this. When I right click and click 'new' I can only create a new folder with admin rights. I have right clicked the entire pmdg folder and according to it I have all the correct permissions to read and edit files and folders. 

The WX readme file I can copy and paste in the WX folder but I can't edit it and save it. 

Why is this? 

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Tom. 

21 hours ago, tomp94 said:

Evening all,

Just purchased the 777 and am trying to get the winds set up ...

I have created a flight plan in PFPX and saved it to the relevant folders...

Now I go in to the PMDG WX folder to create a new notepad file to paste the wind data in for my route. However I am unable to do this. When I right click and click 'new' I can only create a new folder with admin rights. I have right clicked the entire pmdg folder and according to it I have all the correct permissions to read and edit files and folders. 

Hi tomp94,

I think you are relying on out of date setup instructions.  The 777 automatically creates a file in C:\Users\[YOUR NAME]\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files called wx.pln , after you have loaded a flightplan into the FMC -- you may have to activate the 777 plan you have loaded to get it to do that.

What flight simulator and what version of it are you using?  What weather program?

PMDG wants you to sign your full name to posts in its forums.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

1 hour ago, Datalink said:

Could you not export the .wx file from PFPX too?

See Introduction page 163:  Most weather add-ons create the wx file in the PMDG WX folder that the 777 can import.  This list includes PFPX but I've never done this rather I use AS16 to give PFPX and PMDG the winds.  Refer to the PFPX documentation on how to export a wx file.  If you use PFPX for winds, how do you tell your simulator how to simulate the winds?  You need a weather engine such as AS16 to do that.

Dan Downs KCRP

3 hours ago, downscc said:

If you use PFPX for winds, how do you tell your simulator how to simulate the winds?  You need a weather engine such as AS16 to do that.

I suppose that one can use FSX real updated weather and hope that PFPX's weather information is similar.  If there's no addon weather program running looks like the 777FMC gets its weather from FSX.  However I don't have PFPX and use AS16.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

6 hours ago, Mike777 said:

However I don't have PFPX and use AS16.

Even if you had PFPX, using AS2016 is more authentic to the real function of the aircraft. PFPX drops out a static file that is never updated. AS2016 will update the file as your flight progresses or parameters change (cruise alt, weather data in general, and so on).

Tutorial #1.5 (on our website) specifically runs you through the procedure of getting everything properly set up: the sim, the aircraft, and AS2016.

Kyle Rodgers

On 2017-5-30 at 0:23 AM, Datalink said:

Could you not export the .wx file from PFPX too?

Yep, just done that. 

I was watching Matt Davies on you tube and obviously was following his out of date instructions

Doh!