branks737

Guidance in choice of hardware for P3Dv4

I'm looking at upgrading to P3Dv4 very soon. I have a $200 voucher which I want to use on buying new hardware and can't decide on whether to get more ram or a SSD drive. My current specs:

Win7 64bit

1 terrabyte HDD

Gtx1080 gaming g1

I7 6700k oc to 4.6

8gig ddr4 2400 ram

4k monitor refresh rate 30hz

My current p3d v3.4 is running smooth on moderate settings, however I still get the occasional micro stutters especially when turning in build up areas. I'm not sure if this is due to texture loading and my current HDD is lagging?? Who knows and I've spent just as much time tweaking the damn thing as flying in an effort to get rid of those micro stutters. I'm not sure if a SSD with P3Dv4 installed on it will eliminate some of those mirco stutters as I just can't seem to justify the pricetag for a 500gig SSD simply for faster sim loading.

Thanks in advance

Branko

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Can't say if that's the issue or not, but SSDs have always been my default drive type for flightsimming over HDD.  I think you'll find it might make a considerable difference.  If I were you, I'd get an SSD and increase your RAM to 16gig.  It's a worthwhile investment for the long haul.  You've thrown alot of money at your graphics card - don't ignore the lower lying fundamentals.

10 minutes ago, ErichB said:

Can't say if that's the issue or not, but SSDs have always been my default drive type for flightsimming over HDD.  I think you'll find it might make a considerable difference.  If I were you, I'd get an SSD and increase your RAM to 16gig.  It's a worthwhile investment for the long haul.  You've thrown alot of money at your graphics card - don't ignore the lower lying fundamentals.

Thanks for the reply. Is it pointless to run the os on my existing HDD and p3d on a SSD? Or should I be running both on SSD's?

Cheers

SSD's these days are not as expansive as they used to be. A 500GB one from Crucial is around 160 Euro's so that would be my guesstimate of around $175. Yesterday I installed P3Dv4 on my P3D drive which also is the home for v3 and I was left with 2.2GB free space after ORBX. So I bought my fourth SSD. No more old slow HDD's for me. 

But as this topic is now open I would like to ask the community a question myself regarding my rig:

I have a 3 year old i5 4670 running stable at 4.,2Ghz and I'm currently looking at pumping it to 4.5Ghz for P3Dv4. It won't have to do stress tests at that speed but it must run P3D as fast as possible which puts another stress on the CPU. I have 8Gb of DDR3 ram and plan on increasing it to 16Gb. I use a GTX970 and for v3 is worked well, but in v4 I would like to put all my autogen sliders to the right and have road traffic in the 40's.  I run the sim on a 40" HD TV in 1920x1080 screen which is fine for me. Would I gain better results with a GTX1080 or is a 1080Ti a must?

Edited by Maarten Otto
typo