Sign in to follow this  
pegruder

Question for the A320 Pilots!

Just a question out of curiosity.  I'm wondering when during landing when you're about to flare and retard the throttles, does the A320 seem to continue to almost floating down the runway or does it typically and almost immediately increase the descent rate?  Just curious as to what's more "real" in the sim.  Typically when I'm in XP11 power changes seem to actually effect the descent rate of aircraft whereas when I'm in P3D I can cut power and end up just floating down the runway with little decrease in speed.

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals

The airbus is still your standard airplane that responds to pitch and power and experiences ground effect. The only feature that makes the airbus unique (as far as I know) is the flare mode of normal law. This fly by wire logic introduces a pitching down force decenting through 50 feet radio attitude. This required the pilot to artificially flare and could result in more "floater" landings...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sticky said:

The airbus is still your standard airplane that responds to pitch and power and experiences ground effect. The only feature that makes the airbus unique (as far as I know) is the flare mode of normal law. This fly by wire logic introduces a pitching down force decenting through 50 feet radio attitude. This required the pilot to artificially flare and could result in more "floater" landings...

Interesting to know, the A320 (It;s by JAR) I've been using is certainly not a study level so I'm not sure all the different laws and modes have been simulated.  This was more a general difference in feel between P3D and XP and was interested in I guess which was closer to the real thing.  Nearly everything for me seems to float in P3D where XP seemed at least what I thought more natural when it came to power changes.  Even the default 737 will descend slightly faster after cutting the power in XP where P3D I got accustomed to cutting power much earlier to limit the chances of me just floating down the runway.  For me (at least with the JAR A320) I have less of a floaty landing as it seems to respond to power changes.  Thanks for the info!

Edit: Come to think of it as I'm kinda comparing experience on two different aircraft I should have made the post title inquired to the 737 folk as well to see their thoughts on how the 738 is on flare and landing.

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals

2 hours ago, Sticky said:

This usually works for me :

at 200' eyes outside and focus on touchdown zone
at 100', focus at the end of runway now / hold attitude

Don't do anything until after 30' (apart from flying towards your aim point / hold attitude)

after 30', set idle thrust
(apply rudder to straighten out if any crosswind about now)
after 20', a very small flare (very slight back pressure only)
then
hold (slowly increase) a very slight backpressure to hold off and minimse rate of descent

(keep wings level)

sometimes I release back pressure/apply forward pressure just before touchdown (this can often give a nice greaser and in the zone)

Most important is not too flare until "AFTER" the 20; call, otherwise most likely :
- it will be a long landing if you try to make it a smooth one
or
- it won't be smooth if you try to get it down in the zone

• Upvote 1