Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Quick Premier Flight from Skajet to Sekiu (low approach only)

I intended to right an actual mini review but it's too late now.  I'll write one tomorrow in the comments.  For now enjoy the shots.  This is the recently released Carenado Premier jet.  oops I spelled Skagit wrong.

Untitled-2_14.jpg

Untitled-3_12.jpg

Untitled-4_14.jpg

Untitled-7_13.jpg

Untitled-8_15.jpg

Untitled-9_14.jpg

Untitled-10_14.jpg

Untitled-11_12.jpg

Untitled-13_13.jpg

Untitled-14_11.jpg

Untitled-15_11.jpg

Untitled-16_7.jpg

Untitled-17_5.jpg

Untitled-18_5.jpg

Untitled-19_3.jpg

Untitled-20_4.jpg

Untitled-21_4.jpg

Untitled-22_4.jpg

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Ok so the mini review

It goes without saying in regards to the modelling and textures.  AFAIK they are still impossible to paint lol.  But I think this is their best looking plane yet.  (The plane itself looks like a funny duck but that's how it looks in real life haha).  I used the normal version but they do include LITE versions.  This is good because this plane crushed my fps and VAS.  Oh speaking of that - it's not ready for P3D v4 yet - but the product site says it will have an upgrade.  I also haven't checked out the night lighting but can guess it's at least decent based on how they've done older addons.

Honestly, I quite enjoy the sounds on this addon - I think the jet sound inside and out is great.  (I wish they included an ANR headset mode for inside as the sounds are quite loud).  Engine start is pretty cool too.  All the buttons and knobs have a clicky sound.

Flying it - hand flying is reasonably good - I flew it at around 9000 lbs weight and it handled as I thought a small jet would.  It does appear this time that FLC mode works.  Though maybe not perfectly realistic.  After hand flying for some time I engaged the AP in heading mode, then used the pitch wheel to climb out and set N1 accordingly (about 96%).  As soon as the speed got to 250 kias I selected FLC mode and the aircraft continued to climb out at 250 kias, adjusting the pitch of the aircraft like the real world mode would do.  It didn't seem to adjust the throttles (which is correct).  We know that in earlier C models their IAS or FLC mode would physically change the throttle position - not realistic as the plane didn't have auto throttles.  But that's not the case here.  FLC is however, very slow to respond... meaning the plane will pitch way up, then back down, and basically porpoise until it reaches the correct pitch for speed set.

In my pics I went VFR at 16,500 out to Sekiu for a low approach and continued on towards Tatoosh vortac and went towards Bowerman HQM for a full stop (I quit taking shots though after the low approach at 11S).  The autopilot seemed to function well and like I said above, hand flying was not too shabby.

Not sure if it's just my old rig, but the non-LITE version of this jet is bad for my system lol - I'm getting some of the worst fps I've ever had with an addon in this plane.  As an example in the default retro mooney in the cockpit I get 117 fps.  In this plane I get 57 fps just sitting on the ground.  I loaded the LITE model after a restart and the fps were within +/- 3.  So maybe the LITE version is lighter on VAS? 

Alright I actually just the FMS a test run.  It's the usually bugginess I've experienced with their addons like the Hawker etc.  I entered a departure and arrival airport, added a STAR (because my airport doens't have a sid), and there is no way to select a STAR without selecting an approach.  In the USA at least, there's not always an approach, it may just be a visual approach, Well you can't load it without selecting an approach.  Then once doing that you must reselect the STAR transition fix.  There is no way to select a departure runway at airports without SIDS.  I was able to direct to a fix by LSK the fix I wanted then LSKing the fix already in green.  However you must then delete the older fix as it makes duplicates of the DTO fix (lol).  Also, the NAV mode hunts left and right for a VOR and FMS course. It's not a smooth interception - it will overfly the course, then S turn back on a few times.  

Working with the PL21 and the buttons is weird.  It's quite apparent they still haven't got some of the systems logic down, but that's nothing new based on their older PL21 addons.  Essentially nothing is different from the last few PL21 addons.

I haven't actually looked at the overall systems in depth, but there's the usual minor bugs like de-ice lights on the CWS enabled with engine anti ice off ha.  Those would only turn on if the AI was enabled.  Ctrl+E does work but magically the aircraft started without the battery on hehe.

Overall the addon is same old same old.  But I decided I'll buy their bizjets because at the moment, no one else is making them.

• Upvote 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

thanks for taking the time with that mini review.

I wish I could be confident with their PL21 suite, but my experience with the other PL21 aircraft is not too good.  Buggy and practically useless for what I want to do.  The exterior model looks amazing though!

If only carenado would spend some time with the old beechs and put in modern GTN and GNS support, I'd gladly spend money on that.

Ryan, did you notice anything funny with the landing lights on the belly in P3D?  They seem to be missing the off-angle dimming effect that the recogs have.  I use FSX DX10, so on occasion their effects get messed up after they are "updated" by the DX10 fixer utility...wondering if that's the case here.

Thanks a lot Ryan for your review. :biggrin:   I am hoping Bert Pieke will pick this up and integrate the GTN 750 as was done in the Phenom 300.  Bert's mods in the Phenom 300 changed it from just OK (default)  to a top 5 aircraft in my hangar.

WAT1460.png

3 hours ago, C525B said:

Ryan, did you notice anything funny with the landing lights on the belly in P3D?  They seem to be missing the off-angle dimming effect that the recogs have.  I use FSX DX10, so on occasion their effects get messed up after they are "updated" by the DX10 fixer utility...wondering if that's the case here.

Well I'm using P3D so I'm not exactly sure what you mean.  They are sort of omni lit though.

Yeah the more I fly this the more I realize how exactly the same the broken PL21 is.  The FLC is not as smooth as I thought.  I think it does work but only the way they coded it.  It's not realistic.  Also about the direct to's and the FMS.  You can only do DTO if the fix you need to DTO is NOT the first fix right after the airport.  If there is a fix down your legs page, that one will work (but you still have to delete the duplicate entries sigh).  So basically, for online flight I wouldn't recommend it unless you're ok with /A (vor) navigation.  But there's much better options for that (Flysimware Lear or XPJ Lear for example).

Also the NAV mode on the AP is very slow at intercepting your course/radial/track.  I'm not sure why that is.  I don't see what this AP has such issues - the AP on their Pilatus, especially the IAS mode (which is basically a FLC mode), works perfectly.  Numerous times I've sent them the real manual on the ProLine system/AP but they choose not to model it the correct way.  Oh well.  Still it's fun to fly hehe.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

12 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

Well I'm using P3D so I'm not exactly sure what you mean.  They are sort of omni lit though.

I was checking if the FSX/DX10 Fixer breaks this effect, but if a P3D user has the same thing.... let the trouble tickets begin.

Oh yeah I've watched P1D's youtube stuff before.  It's a pretty cool channel but I rarely have time to watch an entire video hehe.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |