Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Western Europe Ortho is incredible!

Next batch of 40 tiles now generating on the back burner...;)

BI(ng)-zl17/19/2

Decals and Terrain Shadows also engaged for this run;

Untitled.jpg

My advice would be to generate some on la Cote d'Azur in France below the ones you generated around Lyon. You won't be disappointed! There are great airports available for Nice LFMN, Cannes LFMD, Marseille LFML and Montpellier LFMP^^

Pierre

1 hour ago, Pochi said:

My advice would be to generate some on la Cote d'Azur in France below the ones you generated around Lyon. You won't be disappointed! There are great airports available for Nice LFMN, Cannes LFMD, Marseille LFML and Montpellier LFMP^^

Pierre

Will do, Pierre, right after this run.  8 tiles generated,32 to go, lol!

Thanks for your suggestions!  I think that I will just fill in, from the first blue linked tile below my Lyon run from the bottom left corner, and then generate all of the ones to connect down to my tiles surrounding Rome in Italy, so Genoa, Bologna, etc.  I'll just fill the whole block in, and not have uninterrupted flights into default scenery. So Lyon tiles down to Montpelier , and then east from there.

I'm then going to grab four tiles around Budapest (I always to try to grab at least,four tiles around a city of interest), Warsaw, hit some up on the Greek Islands, Athens...etc...and then onto my way to Russia and the Balkans!

Western Digital My Book series...I love you!  :cool:

On 6/28/2017 at 9:33 PM, Anxu00 said:

Nvm, I saw your post above on Decal, was asking you about it.  Definitely a good technique by the OrthoXp author. 

I'm getting such great results, That like Mark said joking about my starting to generate the whole planet, (LOL)...starting to feel a little bit like Napoleon, but with no Waterloo to get in my way of  my Ortho4XP Conquest!

Rome's Legions, didn't stand a chance....as will the Spartans of Sparta...all will fall to my army of Ortho4XP conversion-bots....they are swarming....  :biggrin: Darius of Persia...needed Ortho4XP, that's for sure. He must be turning in his grave!:anonymose: Alexander the Great, wouldn't have popped a gasket...if he a had few systems running in the background....15 minutes later, and another part of Europe falls to the conquest...and on we go!------->

"Oh dang...one of Hannibal's elephants broke out of the front line..it's tromping one of my Ortho4Xp phalanxes ...sorry, gotta go!" General Ses is needed!

"Yeah...I'm having a blast...as always!"

You are going to get a lot of white tiles around Slovenia and Croatia in Bing, you will probably need another source

1 hour ago, tonywob said:

You are going to get a lot of white tiles around Slovenia and Croatia in Bing, you will probably need another source

Thanks Tony!  Thank you!

Ses

9 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Next batch of 40 tiles now generating on the back burner...;)

With more limited HD space than you Ses, I can't conquer the way you do, so I have to be selective.  Also I have not figured out how to batch convert yet, if you have that guide handy, could you PM me?  As for other fellow OrthoXP addicts, since I have limited space (1-2 TB) which regions are best for me to generate?  I like the Mediterranean region and the alps in Europe, PNW and US Mid west, Eastern US Appalachia, where else? 

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

19 minutes ago, Anxu00 said:

With more limited HD space than you Ses, I can't conquer the way you do, so I have to be selective.  Also I have not figured out how to batch convert yet, if you have that guide handy, could you PM me?  As for other fellow OrthoXP addicts, since I have limited space (1-2 TB) which regions are best for me to generate?  I like the Mediterranean region and the alps in Europe, PNW and US Mid west, Eastern US Appalachia, where else? 

For Batch Generation, it's really all there in the Manual.  Not being cheeky here...truly that's a better 'guide' than I could give...totally comprehensive. The manual sits in your download zip of Ortho4XP.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Well, I'll have to think about that...I know that 2 TB's sounds like a lot of storage, and it is...for most anything else..massive in fact, for anything else, but Anux, you really do want to not go below zl17.  zl17/19/2 is the true sweet spot for what you will expect to enjoy, for all the work and storage thereof.  zl16 is ok for fill...but for fabulous VFR (and Ortho excels at this...) z17 is the way to go!

I'd start your orgy, at KORS, out of Washington State. Capture all the islands around that tile, so you can see how good this is.  If you like PNW of Orbx...get ready to be amazed at what you are going to generate.  It will blow you away. There are so many ways to enjoy Ortho...and in fact, KORS (Orcas Island) was the first place that I decided to NOT have an XP11 overlay, to see what exactly was going to be hid, below XP11 autogen. Well...I sure did. At zl16, YOU NEED IT.  At zl17 and up, truly, you are missing out on great 'real world' visuals of buildings, suburbs, rurals, commercial enterprises.  I even got to see a boat storage yard, with boats clearly in the yard, etc..but was COVERED, by autogen and blanked out with auto-gen buildings, when I had my overlay for that tile, in the mix. Stuff like that. So...my present M.O, is to run daylight flights (at near 4K res) without an overlay in place (easy to do...you DO create an overlay at the first of tile generation, but can remove the short-cut link of the overlay folder in Custom Scenery) and that will effect no display of any overlay, in any tile. Want overlays again?  No problem...reinstall the link...or shortcut..and on the next usage, you have overlays again over all your tiles)...so...early morning/dusk/night flights have overlays to enjoy the lights and animated traffic, and crystal clear, high-def ortho, real life...not masked by overlays, in the daytime, of course, when you would see the visuals just for that.

So...start with ORCAS Island, some PNW stuff you are familiar with by using ORBX, and then shoot over to the Alps...and block the entire mountain range. Then....see what you have left of your 2TB. If you have more room...slide down to Eternal Rome...Naples...shoot out to Lisbon,  Oh...cross back over and lock up Myrtle Beach, Charleston, S.C., and there is fabulous visuals to be had around coastal Alabama, such as the city of Gulfport ( a very important tourist draw for Alabama!)

Fill up your remaining dwindling 2TB's with city captures of a four-tile surround.  The TVA...Tennessee Valley Authority area is a great ortho capture...town, villages, nestled in sleepy hollows that are a blast to ortho-discover.

I have right now, about 10 TB's of tiles...and am looking right now at some July 4th sales for 8TB new-version My Books.  This has become (as a budget expense) as important to myself, as my budgeting for Graphics Cards. It's right up there now. I mean...I buy a graphic card to bring out the best visuals I can....and then shoot the 'left hook' for the knockout, by supplying it with the best, most real-life visuals, I have ever seen in a flight simulator.

I have waited YEARS to arrive at this moment.  XP11 and Ortho4XP ROCKS!

Hope my suggestions help...have fun...always have fun with this...and not let frustrations rule the day!

Ses

25 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

it's really all there in the Manual.

Ok will dig it out, I have a to admit, I did not spend enough time to RTFM yet ;-) just followed Youtube video.  Wow 10's of TB heh? Ok, will also look for MyBooks too, is that using fast USB3? You mentioned KORS and Washington State.  At the org download, there is a US Ortho project using Ortho4XP covering Washington State too, and it's done already, how's that compared to what you did yourself? If you have it.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

48 minutes ago, Anxu00 said:

Ok will dig it out, I have a to admit, I did not spend enough time to RTFM yet ;-) just followed Youtube video.  Wow 10's of TB heh? You mentioned KORS and Washington State.  At the org download, there is a US Ortho project using Ortho4XP covering Washington State too, and it's done already, how's that compared to what you did yourself? If you have it.

It was created with storage in mind.

Also, you've had no input, on what features of the Ortho4XP .cfg file wished to be incorporated into your own visual laundry-list.

Some very important ones for blow-your-mind visuals, is:

Decals

Terrain-Cast Shadows,

HD high-level zl factors for airport properties and how many KM's out you wish this to be, and at what level you wish this to be generated at. This one like zl17/19/2/3/4, whatever you set) is killer for real world depiction. Very important setting! Very!

I'd personally set Ortho4XP to zl17/19/2 and do selected parts, around the coast. Ortho4XP excels in coastal depictions. Also, there is a chance that that supplier's original generation, will have dropped textures, that I have seen happen, and have extensively typed about with solutions, in one of my XP Scenery Addon threads.  There are some pitfalls..but can be overcome, ONLY by the user taking action, like re-cutting a tile after you see that dropped textures happened, or that you need to re-cut with another Sat Source.  I'd hate for you or others to eat up your download bandwidth, only to find out that one or more of those files craps out, your XP11 to the Desktop. That can happen if XP is trying to load in textures, that simply are not there....that were missed by the provider's generation of all his/her files.  Just something to consider, if thinking about it.  You might also want to ask anybody that has downloaded the entire state, to see if they have any problems, for when asking XP11/10 to load-in the files....if anybody using this Ortho Project download, reports an error message and CTD...the offending tile needs to be re-cut with the same source, or another source.  Just a head's up Anxu.

I think it's great what this user is trying to do...very generous use of his time, but...again...with some quagmires that I have found by my generating tiles...it can be a crap-shoot, for a total mass download, that you did not generate yourself...and can know WHAT tiles you generated, and that XP11, in its log...can report to you, what tile and (texture.blah.blah) it could not find/or in-load by a corrupted one, perhaps. Let's say that you did the entire State of Washington, and have all your tiles displayed upon your own copy of Ortho4XP Map window.  When XP11/10 reports what x/y coordinate tile it could not fully load in...it is a snap, to open up that window, get those x/y coordinate numbers in the top left 'focus' mask' and then try re-cutting that tile with your original source. If you run XP11/10 and STILL get a CTD, then you only have to run (I always suggest GO2) another source for that tile...and 9 out of 10 times, your tile load-in will be successful.

One more thing that all should know.  Let's say you capture 6 tiles around your FBO airport...and you try to start from that airport...and you get a CTD with a message that XP11/10 could not load-in, or find a certain texture file number...guess what....that could be from a tile 5 tiles over from the airport location you are trying to fly out of. XP11 loads in a massive amount of scenery pre-load before it plops you down at your selected airport.  That is why it is imperative that you be the captain of the generation process. If one of those tiles goes south...you can fix that within 15 minutes of your CTD.  

I can't vouch for the full already generated downloads, as I have not gone that path.  Someone else having done so, needs to advise you, if it worked out like a charm. :cool: I'd get that information before I devoted my monthly download limit to it.  If you have unlimited download bandwidth,  then all you'd have done, is invested the time to download, and try it out.  

6 hours ago, Pochi said:

Pierre

Well, I took your advice Pierre, and this is the final cut for this area...:

map2.jpg

• Upvote 1

Great! You can have nice flights between Paris and South of France! I did Paris Orly - Marseille - Geneva last week^^

Pierre

9 hours ago, Anxu00 said:

Ok will dig it out, I have a to admit, I did not spend enough time to RTFM yet ;-) just followed Youtube video.  Wow 10's of TB heh? Ok, will also look for MyBooks too, is that using fast USB3? You mentioned KORS and Washington State.  At the org download, there is a US Ortho project using Ortho4XP covering Washington State too, and it's done already, how's that compared to what you did yourself? If you have it.

Sorry about not reading that you asked about My Books.  Yes...USB SuperSpeed 3.0 or 3.1.  Also, if you compare prices of My Book's, and really want to get into this, the 8TB My Book, is the best deal for cost per TB. It actually saves you money in the long run. Two of those...added to your system, pretty much Ortho4XP-proofs you.  You will have literally thousands of square miles or kilometers for months, to years of flying over 'reality'....not synthetic versions of same.  Take a snap by satellite of the Great Lakes. What do you have?  A veritus picture of what the ground and clutter looks like. Let Ortho4XP convert that picture of the real Great Lakes Basin, and turn it into something that XP11 can display inside the program. What do you have? You have the Great Lakes Basin as it looks in real life, under your wing.   What more can a simmer want, if veritus flying over real-world scenery, is truly as important, as what is looked at upon the instrument panel....

For what we pay through the nose, for top end Pascal graphics and ATI cards....we DESERVE reality, when looking down under the wing....

If so...8TB My Books are in yours, or his or her future....

End of statement. :)

6 hours ago, Pochi said:

Great! You can have nice flights between Paris and South of France! I did Paris Orly - Marseille - Geneva last week^^

Pierre

Getting there....30 more tiles to finish off that part of Europe! I generate about 3 tiles per hour, at zl17/19/2, so 10 or so hours to FLY TIME, Western Europe Style....:) Definitely a first flight for one of my light business-class, jets.... If you hear yodeling, that will be me over the Alps...so don't worry...it's not a Big Foot in pain..... :biggrin: