Sign in to follow this  
STUART_H

Help with Scenery.cfg and scenery regen.

Can anyone help to give me an insight into what happens/ why FlightSim regenerates the scenery database on startup. I thought that at one time the system only did this if a change had been made to the Scenery.cfg. However, my sim now seems to go through this process everytime I start the sim, irrespective of whether I have made any changes to the scenery.cfg beforehand. I usually make manual changes to the cfg using notepad, and realign the order (if necessary) using Scenery Align programme by Richard Bixler.It is really annoying having to wait for the sim to regenerate & build the scenery database every start of the sim.Any ideas anyone?Regards,Stuart Hyett

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

It's not just changing the scenery.cfg file that causes the database rebuild, it's any change you make to the scenery files as well. If you have changed the AI traffic files, saved a modified AFCAD or have done anything else to one of the .bgl files it will cause flight sim to rebuild the scenery database the next time you start it up.

Hi Stuart,if you haven't done any changes and yet the scenery database is getting rebuilt then chances are that it is corrupt, that is has duplicate or missing entries.Download one of the scenery.cfg checker utilities, like Steve Greenwood's utility here (thirds link from the top) - http://www.fs-traveler.com/resources-g.shtml - put a copy of your scenery.cfg in the same directory as the tool and run the exe. I do this every few weeks or so and it does help detect errors early.Good luck.Cheers, Holger

Cheers Holger,That sounds like a good idea, I'll give it a try.I have heard mention before of the sim creating 'oldscenery.cfg' and 'newscenery.cfg', but I can't seem to find those files anywhere. Might that be significant, and do you know whether they exist / what they are for?Best regards,Stuart Hyett

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

Hi Stuart,whenever you edit your scenery library menu in the sim it writes those changes to a file newscenery.cfg in the FS9 root menu. When you re-start the sim it checks for the presence of such a file. If it does find it, it'll update the library database, then re-name the previous scenery.cfg to oldscenery.cfg, save the newscenery.cfg as scenery.cfg and delete the newscenery.cfg. Clear as mud? ;-)However, if your current scenery.cfg is somehow corrupted the sim will go through the process of updating the library database each time, albeit without making any changes to the scenery.cfg. That's where those utilities come in handy: they'll check for and correct duplicate or missing entries.Cheers, Holger

The oldscenery and newscenery files are in the root folder of FS2004, but they are only created when you change the scenery library settings from within Flight Sim.

Thanks for all your help. I'll have a look at checking the scenery.cfg and the presence or otherwise of new / old...cfgs. Perhaps I can resolve the constant scenery database generation.Regards,Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

** Bump **Despite checking the scenery.cfg, I still get the system "Generating Scenery" and "Building Database" file, every time that I start Flightsim. When building the database file, the progress meter only seems to get to 23 % and then stops and Flightsim continues to load. Is this normal and should the system only go through this process when new scenery is added to the cfg file?

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

HelloIf all of the area's and layers are correct in the Scenery.cfg and there are no path errors then you may have a corrupt Scenery.dat file somewhere.Do a file search for all the scenery.dat files and delete them.They will be regenerated by FS9 the next time you run the program