Sign in to follow this  
cannow

Scenary Add ons Crash

1 hour ago, carlito777 said:

The thing is that even installing add-ons which register via the scenery.cfg can trigger the CTDs. So it must not only be an add-on which registers using an add-on.xml. And as I mentioned above, it is not driven by a single add-on, because all the add-ons which started the behavior can be used without crashes if all sceneries are registered through the scenery.cfg. So using the add-on.xml method for sceneries must be buggy in the current version of P3D v4.

The type of error is a ntdll crash. But this has nothing to do with drivers or whatever in this particular case. The CTDs are can be perfectly reproduced any time when certain combinations of add-ons are used. And as I said. I can use all sceneries without any problem when registering them via the scenery.cfg.

Hi,

I'm not sure that it "must be buggy". This method has existed since V3, and some developers were already using it. I would expect that a systematic error would show up on every computer, and not only in certain combinations of addons.

What I am trying to find out is, if this may be caused by scenery addons that split the definition up into separate "scenery" and "texture" addon components in the add-on.xmls, instead of creating one single addon component - a "scenery area" as it always was. I think it is not out of the question that this could cause an error in a more remote module (scenery caching? texture loading? file name conflicts? Missing parent object?) that is not immediately obvious in all content.

Best regards

LORBY-SI

1 minute ago, Lorby_SI said:

Hi,

I'm not sure that it "must be buggy". This method has existed since V3, and some developers were already using it. I would expect that a systematic error would show up on every computer, and not only in certain combinations of addons.

What I am trying to find out is, if this may be caused by scenery addons that split the definition up into separate "scenery" and "texture" addon components in the add-on.xmls, instead of creating one single addon component - a "scenery area" as it always was. I think it is not out of the question that this could cause an error in a more remote module (scenery caching? texture loading? file name conflicts? Missing parent object?) that is not immediately obvious in all content.

Best regards

Good point. Indeed, the FSDT and Flightbeam installers create add-on.xmls with seperate texture and scenery entries. What could also be a problem is the total mess with the layers as I'm not sure that all add-ons are fully aware of the layers of already installed add-ons in scenery.cfg and via add-on.xmls.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Just now, carlito777 said:

Good point. Indeed, the FSDT and Flightbeam installers create add-on.xmls with seperate texture and scenery entries. What could also be a problem is the total mess with the layers as I'm not sure that all add-ons are fully aware of the layers of already installed add-ons in scenery.cfg and via add-on.xmls.

Generally speaking, nothing bad can come from the layering, unless you have an error in the scenery.cfg (duplicate layer numbers or non-sequential layer numbering). But the sim will complain about an incosistent scenery.cfg.

But. Does that layering really work if said addon is not a "Scenery Area" at all? Is layering even allowed if the addon component is targeting the "scenery" subfolder directly?

Unfortunately too many variables and too little time for me to test all of this myself - just writing down my thoughts.

Best regards

LORBY-SI

8 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:

Unfortunately too many variables and too little time for me to test all of this myself - just writing down my thoughts.

Same here. But I think it is really important to check that at some point, because from what I read on several forums, this problem does happen quite often. And only because people get ntdll errors they attribute it to completely different root causes. And I'm absolutely sure that it has to do something with the way sceneries are registered with the sim.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Hello

I have had some issues with CTD, freezing and other anomalies using add-on XML with one or another or a combination of addons, there was no logic to the CTD's

which now apper to be resolved (fingers crossed)

the issues seem to be resolved where I had duplicate add on "name" or

duplicate "Layer" numbers, which seemed to upset the sim, so maybe worth checking.

also I had issues with Autogen and certain devs AutogenDescriptions (spb) files.
causing a freeze after the start up screen

these issues I have resolved using FSdevelopers Autogen Configuration Merger, which worked well in V3 and now also there is a V4 beta version which now works.

I do not know if this will resolve issues here but they sound similar and it seems to have helped me

I use it for Orbx, sim720 and Earth simulations specifically.

It may be worth a look

Regards