Sign in to follow this  
joefremont

Around the world in 175 days - Part 2

March 17, 1924.  “The three planes departed Santa Monica as scheduled but ran into low clouds over the Tehachapi Mountains so they had to zigzag through the passes”.  Lt. Smith with his accurate knowledge of these mountains was assigned to lead the way.  

May 26, 2017.  The aircraft I decided to use is the Morane-Saulnier H, a french sport monoplane that was  produced from 1913 up until the beginning of World War 1, and in the war saw limited service as a reconnaissance aircraft.  It was widely copied in Germany and was the basis for the Pfalz E.I-E.VI and the Fokker 'Eindecker' monoplane fighters, with more powerful engines and a synchronized machine gun. 

The aircraft model I am using today was created by Jean-Michel Castagne, which is greats.  Another great flying day in Santa Barbara California, clear, few clouds, winds steady at 7kn.  I need to fly down the coast a short distance before turning inland to get over the mountains that are north the city, after that it was an easy flight, I picked up the freeway that runs trough this area and followed it to my destination, the San Luis Obispo County Regional Airport, 63 nm away, which I arrived at after 1.1 hours of flying.  Here are a few pics from the flight.

wc.0.1.2.1.jpg
Ready for takeoff.

wc.0.1.2.2.jpg
Climbing out of Santa Barbara, need get some altitude to get over the hill.

wc.0.1.2.3.jpg
Over the hill, Santa Maria is just on the Horizon

wc.0.1.2.4.jpg
Pismo Beach and my destination of San Louis Obispo are now in sight.

wc.0.1.2.5.jpg
On Final.

wc.0.1.2.6.jpg
Parked at the airport, Hey there are people here to greet me!

• Upvote 2

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

That was a very popular aircraft with a rotary engine....very interesting progress...love this!

HLJAMES

14 hours ago, joefremont said:

March 17, 1924

Joe,

I had to split your second set of photos from your journey into a separate post. Please read the screen shot forum rules below as you can start a post with up to 20 screen shots but you can't add additional screen shots to the same post. As you continue the trip, just start a new topic using the same title but add Part 3, Part 4, etc.

https://www.avsim.com/page/AVSIM Pages/screen_shot_rules.html

12 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

Joe,

I had to split your second set of photos from your journey into a separate post. Please read the screen shot forum rules below as you can start a post with up to 20 screen shots but you can't add additional screen shots to the same post. As you continue the trip, just start a new topic using the same title but add Part 3, Part 4, etc.

https://www.avsim.com/page/AVSIM Pages/screen_shot_rules.html

Understood, By the time I finish this trip there will be a lot of these posts, though having one post would be better than many but I also don't wan't to rock the boat and will do as you recommend.

2 hours ago, joefremont said:

Understood, By the time I finish this trip there will be a lot of these posts, though having one post would be better than many but I also don't wan't to rock the boat and will do as you recommend.

No problem Joe and I understand your reasoning. It's fine that you'll have lots of new topics as that will be a long trip. Enjoy it!