Sign in to follow this  
kbowler

Current best practice when updating/reinstalling PMDG aircraft.

Hi

I am not entirely clear about current best practice when updating the B737, B747 QOTS II, and B777 with P3D.  While I know it is advised that an update via a full installer release requires an uninstall, what is the current best advice on how to achieve this, particularly where P3Dv3 and P3Dv4 are both installed on the computer.  The reason I ask is that I still have a document I prepared based on Kyle's earlier advice for updating the B777 and B737 which suggests uninstalling via the Control panel, but then manually removing various files ; i.e

Delete any references to the NGX or 777 in the [Sim]\PMDG folder

Delete any references to the NGX or777 in the [Sim]\SimObjects folder (where [Sim] is your FSX or FSX:SE directory)

Delete any references to the NGX or 777 in the %AppData%\Roaming\[Developer]\[Sim]\SimObjects folder

I notice this applies to the FSX or FSX-SE versions, but does it also apply if you want to update via a full install on the mentioned versions of P3D.

Might it be useful to put a sticky on the forum summarising current best practice as circumstances have obviously changed with the recent release of P3Dv4 and the possibility of various mixed configurations of FS, notably FSX, FSX-SE, P3Dv3 and P3Dv4,  being installed on a FS computer.

Thanks

Keith Bowler

Regards

Keith Bowler

1 minute ago, kbowler said:

Hi

I am not entirely clear about current best practice when updating the B737, B747 QOTS II, and B777 with P3D.  While I know it is advised that an update via a full installer release requires an uninstall, what is the current best advice on how to achieve this, particularly where P3Dv3 and P3Dv4 are both installed on the computer.  The reason I ask is that I still have a document I prepared based on Kyle's earlier advice for updating the B777 and B737 which suggests uninstalling via the Control panel, but then manually removing various files ; i.e

Delete any references to the NGX or 777 in the [Sim]\PMDG folder

Delete any references to the NGX or777 in the [Sim]\SimObjects folder (where [Sim] is your FSX or FSX:SE directory)

Delete any references to the NGX or 777 in the %AppData%\Roaming\[Developer]\[Sim]\SimObjects folder

I notice this applies to the FSX or FSX-SE versions, but does it also apply if you want to update via a full install on the mentioned versions of P3D.

Might it be useful to put a sticky on the forum summarising current best practice as circumstances have obviously changed with the recent release of P3Dv4 and the possibility of various mixed configurations of FS, notably FSX, FSX-SE, P3Dv3 and P3Dv4,  being installed on a FS computer.

Thanks

Keith Bowler

Manually deleting files should only be required when you've got some serious problems and you're trying to rule everything out. For an update, an uninstall then reinstall with the installers is sufficient.

Do not do anything more or less than what we instruct. If we say uninstall/reinstall, simply utilize the control panel uninstall function and the new reinstall. Do not do anything more unless we specifically instruct. Don't over complicate.

Kyle Rodgers