Sign in to follow this  
Mad_Mac

VFR from small airports

I tried to fly from a small airport and was not able to file a flight plan because the airport was not listed in the database.  I attempted to use a user defined waypoint as my departure point, since the airport was not listed, but received a message, "Departure point must be an airport." Is there any way to make it possible to fly VFR from a small airport that is not in the database? Specifically I attempted to fly from J & L Aviation near Ripon, WI, USA to Ephraim Gibraltar near Fish Creek, WI neither of which was listed. Also the flight included a transition through Green Bay Charlie airspace, and I was not able to request a transition. All of these would be great VFR additions.

1 hour ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

What are the airport codes you are talking about?

J & L Aviation is a small private strip and has no code. It is 2 miles east of Green Lake and 2 miles west of Ripon.  The nearest airport with a code is KFLD. J & L Aviation is 17 nm on a heading of 283 degrees from KFLD.  Ephraim's code is 3D2.

Thanks for getting back.

If there is no FAA code for the airport, then you can't use it in the flight plan.  However, for ones like 3D2, just put a K in front of it "K3D2" and it will be found.

For the private ones, I guess putting in the code of the nearest coded airport would work for building the flight plan.  There may be a coded airport closer than KFLD.  If you press the Airport Display button 4 times, you'll see the most airports on the map.

Clearance/management of airspaces is on the list of future enhancements.

Thanks again,

Dave

Dave, I truly appreciate your quick responses, and your ongoing support of this program, it is what has finally lured me away from my previous favorite, and got me to go ahead and purchase this one. Thank you.