Hi I need some advice about case cooling,I have a cooler master case it came with 80mm fan in the front I put a 120mm fan at the rear I have two spaces on top of the case for two additional fans one would be just above and in front of the CPU cooler fan and the other just behind and above the cooler fins but don't know if they should be used to bring cool air in or to exhaust the warm air, also I am using the two chassis fan connectors on the mb so is there a way to add more connectors so the other fans can also be controlled by the motherboard, anyone provide a link as to how to set up the case fans thank you,

.             Jim

thank you,Jim

Asus Prime Z270-P| I7700k@4.6| 16gDDR4 3000 VengLpx|

Corsair H115aio Cooler| Evga GeForce 1080gpu|Corsair Rm750

I have two fans in the front bringing air into the case.  Then I have one in the back and one on top of the case that pulla the air out of the case.  The CPU fan flows toward the back on my case.  This allows for good flow over the memory in addition to bringing fresh air toward the CPU.  I'm running an I7-7700k on air with no problems.

blaustern 

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

5 hours ago, jimimac said:

I have two spaces on top of the case for two additional fans one would be just above and in front of the CPU cooler fan and the other just behind and above the cooler fins but don't know if they should be used to bring cool air in or to exhaust the warm air

generally you want front to back and bottom to top. the front should pull it in and rear exhaust it. the warm air wants to rise, so the fans on top should help that along rather than fight it.

i think dynamically controlling case fans is probably overkill, usually you just put them on the PSU headers. there are hardware controllers out there if you're feeling adventurous but unless you have a specific reason why you need them it's probably more trouble than it's worth

good luck!

cheers,-andy crosby

7 hours ago, Bluestar said:

I have two fans in the front bringing air into the case.  Then I have one in the back and one on top of the case that pulla the air out of the case.  The CPU fan flows toward the back on my case.  This allows for good flow over the memory in addition to bringing fresh air toward the CPU.  I'm running an I7-7700k on air with no problems.

blaustern 

Hi what speed is your CPU running at, have you overclocked, I'm getting high temps up in the eighties with a overclock at 4.8 so if your running a lower clock speed and the temps are ok I will have to reduce the CPU down.

thanks,jim

thank you,Jim

Asus Prime Z270-P| I7700k@4.6| 16gDDR4 3000 VengLpx|

Corsair H115aio Cooler| Evga GeForce 1080gpu|Corsair Rm750

5 hours ago, jimimac said:

Hi what speed is your CPU running at, have you overclocked, I'm getting high temps up in the eighties with a overclock at 4.8 so if your running a lower clock speed and the temps are ok I will have to reduce the CPU down.

thanks,jim

I'm not overclocking and have had no issues with temps.  

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

19 hours ago, jimimac said:

it came with 80mm fan in the front I put a 120mm fan at the rear

I would fit a larger fan at the front if I were you - as large as you can. 80mm is quite small to get a decent flow of air into the case unless it's running at high speed (which equals noise). Otherwise, I agree with Andy about the fan configuration.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

My Antec case has two 120mm intake fans in the bottom front, one 120mm exhaust fan in the top rear, and one 240 mm exhaust fan in the top of the case.  I run the front fans at medium speed, the rear and top fans at low speed.  No heat issues ever, even with an overclocked CPU and RAM.  80mm intake fan is small.  If possible, install a 120mm intake fan.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Worth remembering also that how you connect up the motherboard and components can have a big effect on case airflow and temperature. Ideally, you want to have as few cables as possible on the motherboard side of the case. Not sure which model case you have but if it has space in the back of the case (behind the motherboard), that's where you want to route all of the cables. You'd be surprised at the effect that lots of cables have on airflow.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

On 7/27/2017 at 6:28 AM, vortex681 said:

Worth remembering also that how you connect up the motherboard and components can have a big effect on case airflow and temperature. Ideally, you want to have as few cables as possible on the motherboard side of the case. Not sure which model case you have but if it has space in the back of the case (behind the motherboard), that's where you want to route all of the cables. You'd be surprised at the effect that lots of cables have on airflow.

Excellent point.  I always try to bundle the cables and route them along the edge of the case or tuck them behind the edge of the motherboard.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.