Sign in to follow this  
Drumcode

FSDT's AFCADs?

6 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Rick,

You misunderstand or I'm not good enough when writing my experiences. :biggrin:

The placement of your aircraft at departure is as simple as typing the ICAO and then hitting the OK button. The location defaults to the active runway.

When the GSX menu is displayed it shows which gates are available so you only have to move the aircraft once.

The situation at Arrival is different because GSX can't reserve a gate. Try it. It works well at all airports, not just FSDT ones.

Ray, no I did not misunderstand you. And nothing wrong with your writing skills. Grammar-perfect in fact.

I am aware that by default any ICAO airport selected places one to the Active Runway, which is why I go through the drop-down list to choose my gate. I never ever used the GSX menu  for gate selections except when landing and asking it for a gate when 9 times out of 10 it has invariably messaged 'Gate Occupied' , or 'Too Small', or something like that. Utter word not allowed, because FSX's default ATC has no problems assigning me a gate/ or parking in the case of the MD-11Fs I tend to fly more of.

But hey, never let it be said I turned my back on any suggestions, so will try your tip. Thank you.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, virtuali said:

Our sceneries are designed taking into account you surely must have GSX installed which, of course, it's totally free to use at all our sceneries. Apart from the ground vehicles, with no GSX, our sceneries won't have Visual Docking systems and the latest ones won't even have jetways, since they require communication between GSX and SODE.

So, think of GSX like an extension of the scenery.

And yes, it IS more efficient this way. Instead of having each scenery installing its own set of, let's say, docking systems or jetways, so you would end up with duplicated files and larger installers for no reason, we put all of them in GSX, so they will be installed only ONCE, and available for all our sceneries.

And, since both GSX and all our sceneries *requires* (and won't run without) our support software, which is the same that runs GSX too, the software installation is the same, because GSX it's just another plugin of the same software that runs the sceneries.

Imagine the horror (another developer DID that, a while ago), if we had a separate software module for *each* scenery...

I totally get why things need to be the way they are. I'm using GSX now in P3D, where I only used AES back with FSX, and I am happy with the switch. I know we have discussed this before in the FSX forum, and it is really my only bugaboo about GSX (it was also mentioned in another post in this topic). It would be great if there was a GSX option to disable AFCAD updates. Here is why: No developer constantly keeps their AFCADS up to date. Typically the developer releases the scenery, and the community (or users) updates the AFCADS. With mergers and equipment changes, tweaks need to be made to parking codes. I don't expect FSDT to stay on top of this, but when I make the changes, I want to preserve the AFCAD that I created. I know GSX doesn't replace my updated AFCAD, but it does drop another AFCAD in the scenery folder, and dupes can cause issues. It doesn't duplicate if I preserve the naming convention of the original, but I don't use the same naming convention. I use one that is predetermined by ADE and is consistent among all of the AFCADS I create.

Maybe even a dialogue box saying "GSX is going to update your KFLL AFCAD. Please confirm that this is what you want to do" Just something that will give me an option would be great.

• Upvote 1

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

19 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

One final thing. Does anyone else have to resize the GSX menu when it's first displayed? Far too small to show all menu options so I have to drag a corner to make it bigger. I've asked Umberto if it can be resized and waiting to get a reply. 'm running 1920x1080.

Rick, I can also confirm this issue.

TBH, while it's a relatively minor annoyance, it's a culmination of all these "minor annoyances" that REALLY annoy me :laugh: . I know most people would just say "that's a minor annoyance" and then they would move on with their lives. I on the other hand end up spending all night googling trying to find a solution which doesn't actually exist, which in turn leads me to getting more and more agitated as the night progresses. At 3:00AM I'm cursing and swearing at my PC (ok I'm exaggerating a bit).....but you get the general idea.

Sometimes I think I'm in the wrong hobby :biggrin:

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

EDIT: Double post.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

Hi Neal,

I'm Ray, not Rick. :biggrin:

Umberto reminded me in a post on the FSDT forum that it's not a GSX issue but a SimConnect one. And some clever chap has found a solution which I'm going to try this afternoon.

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,16247.0.html

I know where you're coming from with minor annoyances becoming irritating. The worst one I had was with an aircraft I had beta-tested and would on a regular basis display a message saying there was a problem with my registration and would then exit FSX. It was suggested my ISP settings were wrong and that I might consider swapping to another provider.

Turns out the problem lay in the beta version of the aircraft. Once I switched to the version available to customers the problem went away. I had that for nearly a year and it was driving me crazy.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Hi Neal,

I'm Ray, not Rick. :biggrin:

Umberto reminded me in a post on the FSDT forum that it's not a GSX issue but a SimConnect one. And some clever chap has found a solution which I'm going to try this afternoon.

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,16247.0.html

I know where you're coming from with minor annoyances becoming irritating. The worst one I had was with an aircraft I had beta-tested and would on a regular basis display a message saying there was a problem with my registration and would then exit FSX. It was suggested my ISP settings were wrong and that I might consider swapping to another provider.

Turns out the problem lay in the beta version of the aircraft. Once I switched to the version available to customers the problem went away. I had that for nearly a year and it was driving me crazy.

Where the hell did I get Rick from? That's what happens when I get irritated lol.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

3 hours ago, nealmac said:

Where the hell did I get Rick from? That's what happens when I get irritated lol.

vc10man aka Rick. :biggrin: Don't worry, you're not going mad. Well not yet. :wink:

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather