Sign in to follow this  
odourboy

Optane anyone?

Anyone got a system with an optane memory module and HDD combination as their boot drive? Does it work well?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

It might have well have said that given all the response I've had! I can only assume optane is a total miss with the sim crowd. No worries. I've got a new pc en route with a 32gb optane module, so I'm going to see first hand if it's worth a damn.  :gaul:

Interesting!

Based on this article https://www.howtogeek.com/317294/what-is-intel-optane-memory/ you will get noticeable improvement only if you are using mechanical hard drive, the improvement when used with an SSD is very small, also it will only work with the primary partition, therefore if you have an SSD and HDD, it will work only with the SSD (assuming it's the primary one).

I think it's a good solution when you have an existing system with huge HDD and without an SSD, as the optane memory costs around $50 on Amazon, where with an SSD, it will cost around $120 for 250GB, and you will have to format your system and install everything from scratch.

Seems to be quite a drawback if it only works with the boot drive. That means unless you have a conventional HDD as your boot drive (with a large primary partition), the Optane module is pretty much redundant. As it only works with the latest generation of motherboards, it couldn't even be used to speed up an old system. I would think that anyone who buys or builds a new computer would almost certainly want an SSD as their boot drive so Optane seems much less attractive.

As far as only using the primary partition/volume on the boot drive, it's a little unclear. This is from the Intel Optane FAQs:

Q - Can I enable system acceleration on my SATA drive that contains more than 1 volume (for example, a boot volume and a data volume)?
A - System acceleration of a SATA drive that contains one boot partition/volume and a data partition/volume is supported.

Although it says it "supports" a primary drive with more than one partition, it doesn't make clear whether or not all partitions are accelerated.

Primary partition only AFAIK. The list of restrictions and limitations seems long. Unless Intel can relax some of these, I suspect this technology is going the way of the dodo.