Sign in to follow this  
walken1974

computer freezing

Approx. 20 mins into a flight my computer freezes. The only way to unfreeze computer is to reboot. I have app crash viewer and event log which show no crash. I have been monitoring computer with nividia inspector and task manager and everything is fine before freeze. I uninstalled all addon scenery that did not have dedicated installers for prepar3d v4 and still getting the freeze. I also uninstalled ultimate traffic live and active sky. The only scenery I was unable to install was newark airport scenery. (no uninstaller) I have pmdg 737 and 777 but have also got freezes with default aircraft. Before starting all over and doing a clean install does anyone have any ideas ? (very frustrating and time consuming trying to figure out issue) Thank-you (i7 6700k gtx1070)

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Sounds more like a hardware related problem, not software. I would personally check your CPU and GPU temps while flying and make sure your not overheating. I'd also run memtest and make sure your memory is ok. I recently had a similar problem (Freezing only fixed with a hard reset & BSODs) and it ended up being a bad stick of ram.

I had the problem that my GPU crashed with my old PSU. P3D runs at almost 100% CPU load and 100% GPU load for me and my 550w PSU was not good enough it seems.

Maybe the PSU could be an issue too. Or like @airplaneguru84 says, the usual suspects. CPU / GPU temps, RAM... Does it only happen when running P3D? What about other stuff? Benchmarks etc?

• Upvote 1

Did complete reinstall and am going to test one addon at a time. If continues i will do stress test /hardware.  Thanks for the help.

I had the same problem on my computer and found out it was my overclock . I bumped it down  from 4.6 to 4.4 and it worked fine . in fsx at. 4.6 I had no issues but I guess P3dv4 stresses more on the system. I have a 6700k.

Tom

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I found on my 6700K the sweetspot with HT on is 4.3 GHz, with HT off around 4.4-4.5.

Everything more rises the temperatures and core voltages more then it should.

When I run P3D with 4.2 GHz and I think 1.28V my PC is completely silent. :-)

• Upvote 1