Sign in to follow this  
Boeing or not going

Autogen disappearing... caused by unlimited frames?

3 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

and set all scenery sliders to medium. 

What I see is not an issue with AMs, number of cores or Hyperthreading which continues to get a bad name, it seems to be a cause of concern simply because it didn't fix the guys problem. That's because it's not a problem.

What is evident is that systems set up with little or no overhead are those that suffer. So it appears the system described works better with added headroom by lowering settings. That's the key, no overhead means no more throttle to soak up the irregular throughput. And the sim becomes irregular, as described.

By setting medium settings we can keep some headroom.

Oh yeah - and as usual I'll say again that with proper AM and HT setup you can improve the headroom.

• Like 2

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I agree, Steve.

I tried several setups with HT enabled but did not see any improvement with my performance.

That's because I had the sim settings too high. No headroom. 

I can understand people maxing out though, when you spend so much money on hardware. That's what I did. 

I must admit, I had to swallow hard when I reduced my settings!

I found though, after reducing autogen buildings and trees from extremely dense to just dense, turning off extended textures and reducing shadow quality to low I no longer have the issue where autogen doesn't draw when low and fast. (450kts)

No config edits and unlimited FPS. (I have a 1080 monitor, so when fps hits 60, it stays there, obviously I'm at lower fps than that at lower altitudes)

I am running without HT at the moment but I bet if I were to re-enable it with the suitable AM for four cores, I would have a much better experience with my more 'sensible' settings.

I'm happy where I am though.

Stu

• Like 2

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.

I don't think four cores can be improved on with an AM in P3D. I've always ponted to the future of 'many cored PCs'.

The AM is a necessity to maintain the four core performance in HT enabled, an AM like 01,01,01,01 would mean the sim works exactly the same as it does with HT off

Using an AM in HT mode is a necessity. We can't just switch HT on and expect a performance hike we will see a loss of performance with no AM. And even then we're not going to increase fps unless we can move tasks off of the main core or LP so depend on the other processes emerging on that system when the sim runs. Or in HT mode make the background tasks more fluid leaving the main task uninterrupted less.  

Not so for other software though and that is also a problem. As I always say, start with HT off and see how it goes. Then move on from there.

An AM can only restrict cores so you need all four.

In HT mode the complications come from sharing of cores unnecessarily. P3D is a hybrid system that requires a fast single thread and a company of parallel threads.

In HT mode and no AM that fast thread is forced to share with a lesser time critical task and that's what spoils it for these simulators and also most other games are affected.

So we sill see a reduction in HT CPUs for the mass market as this market doesn't understand HT. CPUs will start to use other techniques to use up spare cycle. HT will remain in the higher spec chips. I'll be showing exactly how it's done in a feature I'm doing on the technology in the near future.

What we will see when HT is gone is some will say how they recollect saying HT was rubbish all along, but that won't be a fair assumption. HT is a technology solution that works, it uses cycles otherwise lost, but is too hard to understand.

Edited by SteveW

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com